• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Project Log] The Man-Cave!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I like the ventilation in that entertainment center, very slick looking, and the chimney was brilliant. That swiveling tv mount was pretty clever too.

That is super awesome. I'm going to have to think hard about how to do my own basement.

You enjoy taping, mudding, and sanding? You are a special breed Mr. Pharaoh.

Thanks Don. I will say it really, really helps when you have the right tools. I need to thank my father-in-law for loaning me his power miter saw. This thing is bad to the bone. It locks in place in 15 degree increments for great cuts. You just have to make sure your measurements are true. The hardest part now is the fact that no wall is ever straight and neither is any board. So every wood worker loves their filler. For trim that means caulk. Here's a bad corner made good. It's two long walls and each trim board was off by about 1/16" leaving a 1/8" gap roughly. Since I'm painting everything good ol' caulk to the rescue.

EDIT: I also use it to fill the nail gun marks. :)

Before
View attachment 176189

After
View attachment 176190

My dad tells me all the time... "A little caulk and a little paint, make a carpenter, what he aint." LOL

Loving the man cave project Blaylock! Definitely subscribing and will keep up. Makes me wish I did a thread and full pics/blog with mine.

LOL, Thanks a lot Nate.

Finally got around to unboxing the surround sound and hook it up for testing. I still need to pick up the rear speaker mounts and another digital audio cable. Still waiting on the power pack for the cabinet fans. As of today it's a week late. I'm not sure why I'm having sop much issues getting this thing. The first one I ordered never showed up. ???

The first "official" movie night with friends over is in 2 weeks so I have a dead line to get some things tidy'd up.

My wife asked me the other night: "Any new pictures about the Man Cave from that geek website you are on? I'd like to get some ideas for a new remodel."

I answered: "Um - he broke some of his fingers drinking beer...hasn't made much progress!"

:D

Ok, just a minor update since there has been some interest.

I FINALLY received the OKGEAR power adapter that I've had on order forever. It's a 2A converter with a molex for power delivery. The intent here is to power the fans in the cabinet. If you page back a bit you will see 2 rectangular openings in the cabinet top. They are for 3x120mm fans. I will also be adding 2x120mm fans at the center chimney area. for a maximum total of 8x120mm fans. The 3 on the left side of the case can be added at a later date as the only electronics on that side will be controller chargers. So to test the power pack I hooked up 10x120's (0.2A ea) and made sure I could draw the full 2A's. It worked flawlessly. Side note: You can also use this to power a water pump for, say, leak testing without putting any power through your Mobo/GPU's or anything else you don't want to fry in the event of a catastrophic leak.

Earlier this week the surround sound showed up. It's a Samsung HT-J4100 5.1 set-up. It's not huge. It's not expensive. But what it is, is in the budget. Now before you go thinking that I skimped on something in the Man Cave, these little guys put out 100W/channel. I have the same set-up stairs and liked them enough to grab a second set for down here. Sorry no pics of this hooked up yet. Wires are everywhere and it will be a while before I can make it presentable. I can tell you this, you'll like what I have planned for these.

View attachment 182386

View attachment 182387

View attachment 182388

Blaylock said:
....I can tell you this, you'll like what I have planned for these.

Based on all those fans, mount them and fly them around..??..
100W! Lets hope you didn't cheap out when you OC those speakers...

Man, I got surround sound envy. Was just looking at a set, but can't do it with all the other irons in the fire...

Looking sweat bro...
uh, err, though what's up with the foose and air-hockey. Last pic I saw, they were not in worthy positions, with the upcoming debutante affair and all...

Cheers!

uh, err, though what's up with the foose and air-hockey. Last pic I saw, they were not in worthy positions, with the upcoming debutante affair and all...Cheers!

Actually they are in position and aside from a few boxes sitting on the air hockey (we're still unboxing from the move, ugh) they are ready for play. Plenty of room on both sides for players.

EDIT: The fooseball does need some maintenance though. If you look close you can see some tape on a few handles. The fastening screws stripped and need replacing. But that's for another day.

View attachment 182465

That was just a runner from the work shop to the cabinet. It's from when I was cutting Wood in there and didn't want to track dust onto the carpet. It's not there now.

coming out quite nice blaylock. CAnt wait to see it finished. You're putting ceiling panels up, correct?

Thanks Bob. There are plans for the ceiling but I wont be ready to tackle that project for quite some time. This winters plans are to do some minor finishing up on the things you've already seen, hang-up some wall art and get my workshop organized. It desperately needs it.

WoW Blay! Where the hell have I been this whole time?! Glad I caught this man-cave log. Everything looks great. I'm far from any type of carpentry but you seem to be your typical jack of all trades which is an amazing quality to have. Can't wait to see the finished product, next year? lol :p So used to PC builds that take oh idk a few months unless you're doing a 25k custom PC water cooling build.

Either you're short or you have really nice high ceilings in the basement. Will look very inviting once you get that ceiling up. My only worries is the carpet in basements. Other then that, are those wall lit LEDs? What Kevlin are you choosing? I picked 2700k (warm white) for my room. I'm not sure if its the camera or you have both installed. I feel the whiter one looks better because of the neutral colored wall where a lighter colored wall, the warmer white would be more appropriate for.

Thanks for the compliments Jack. For the sconces I used dimmable LED bulbs but don't remember the wattage at this time. I went with the bright white because the room already gets an amber glow from the sconce fabric and with the warmer color it was just to much. As far as carpet goes it is pretty common here to use carpet though there are certainly some risks involved. So long as you have a dry basement then there's no issue. Any amount of moisture and mold can become a problem pretty quickly.

IIRC the ceilings are listed as 8' ceilings measured to the top of the joists, or just over 7' at the bottom of the joists. I've never been called tall at 5'9" but I don't consider myself short either., more on the lower side of average. ;)

Back