• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Project Log] The Man-Cave!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
[Project Log]The Man-Cave!

As some of you know I've recently just moved to a new location. The wife and I decided it was time to down-size. In doing so I lost my office space, so now I get to build my own. We agreed on this house with the understanding that I could do what-ever I wanted to the basement and she could decorate the main floor. What does all this add up to? Blaylock’s building a Man-Cave! The Preliminary plans are for an office large enough for all my rigs, and entertainment area with a big screen and an HTGPC, Custom Bar, Work shop, Rec Room and of course a large storage room and utility room for the HWT and Furnace.

Here is the basic layout of the Basement. It’s 45’ wide and 46’ deep with 7’ ceilings in what I would call a Fat L shape.

View attachment 169337

Here is the current condition. This is looking at where the office and entertainment area will be. We literally just got everything moved so there is allot of organizing and cleaning to do still.

View attachment 169338

Stay tuned if you’re interested to see what happens next.

Congrats on the new place! I know your new man-cave is going to be awsome. I'm planing on moving also to a larger place in Jan. Ugh I hate moving, lol.

Moving: When you get to figure out what is really worth keeping, and what you really do not want to keep.

That said: You shouldn't have to invest in central heating much, just a good heat exchanger, heat the house with the computer equipment :p

You know mimart those look much cheaper than what I'm pricing out for the man-cave. Maybe I'll build her a she - cave and keep the whole house for me stuffs. ;)

Lots of room to play in Blay looks sweet! :thup:

Got some windows down there to hang the rad outside???

There's happens to be one right where the office will be. Coincidence? I don't think so. :)

Awesome new place blaylock, as well as mancave. I have not had the pleasure of owning my own home quite yet so no mancave for me, the closest I have been to a personal area was modifying an apartment's living area (soooo glad I got approved to do it when I was there, totally worth it) to accommodate an HD projector for a "theater room".

For the time being, I shall bask in your mancave glory until my own comes to fruition! Subbed for epic updates!

I scheduled an electrician to come out tomorrow to look into upgrading my circuit panel from 100A to 200A. He asked what I need that much Power for... I just laughed uncontrolablly.

Kinda like this.

UPDATE: STEP 1

So the first thing we need to do is organize this place. That can't happen without a place to store everything. Just to give you an idea of the dilemma, we moved from a 3150 Sq ft house down to a 1760 Sq ft house. So ya, organization is critical.

Here's the half of the first of several shelving units being built. The main unit will be 16' x 4' with three shelves each. Simple 2x4 construction with 1/2 plywood. Nothing fancy here.

View attachment 169479

View attachment 169480

View attachment 169481

Hey, 1760 Sq ft assuming 8ft ceiling is 14080 Cu ft *how tall is your basement?* Can make a lot of stuff fit in that much space :p
I've never really understood the whole measuring a house solely on two dimensions, when we live in 3 lol.

3rd picture: Cool, gumball machine!

Cute dog btw.

Yep. 7 ft ceilings in the basement. The gumball machine was left by the previous owner. I think it'll look cool at the end of the bar.

The puppy is Kona. He's such a lover and protector that we can't have any horseplay in the house. Lol he gets upset even if someone is tickling someone else.

hrmm, so little less Cu Ft Still, plenty if ya design/implement well.

I still have a gumball machine/bank from when I was little...I should clean it up.

Bigger dogs tend to be the strangest. Specially Great Danes, every person I have ever known that has had one, said they go to pieces when it rains.
I take it Kona being overprotective makes playing around with him w/ other people interesting.

Back