• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED WD Caviar Green VS Caviar Black

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neostarwcc

Okay so, I'm using a 850 Pro 256 GB SSD and my spare hard drive (1.5 TB Caviar Green) that I've been using is about to kick the bucket and I've been wanting to replace it for a little over a year now. I've already lost some irreplaceable programs on it. I think I'm finally going to replace the drive and I definitely want to get at least a 4TB hard drive since, I fill my 1.5 TB relatively quickly (I have a lot of Anime blurays that I like to backup to make sure they last forever).

My main question is, I'm considering getting a Caviar Black for speed since I'm booting all of my programs and games off of it and I probably plan on sticking a second OS on the Hard drive (Win 7). I do notice that the Caviar green that I have now, boots programs rather slowly but, the Caviar green is also almost $100 less ($119.99 for a 4TB Green, $209.99 for a black). Is the black worth the extra $100? Like, would I notice a significant speed increase from using it over a green? I mean, I can buy almost two greens for the price of a black (And trust me, I would use 8TB's of space)

Last edited:
Hi there.

You will notice faster loading times since both drives have different firmware according to the purpose they're designed for.

WD Black for instance is a performance drive designed for heavy gaming, big workloads and intensive file usage. Its mostly used in gaming computers or editing machines and has a dual-core CPU, which will give you faster loading times compared to the Green drive. Also, it has longer warranty of 5 years compared to the 2 years limited one that WD Green has.

WD Green on the other hand will suit better if you want to have just an additional space for secondary storage because of the different build-in features it has - it is an energy efficient HDD which main benefit is that it saves power and wears by spinning down when it can.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers! :)

Thank you for your response. So, it does seem like a black is definitely worth it considering, I'll be gaming a lot and what not. Now, Newegg is having a sale on a 3TB green for $92.99. And a 2 TB black is $118.99 with promo. So, I'm thinking would it I could get 5 TBs of space for the same price almost and, only run games and whatnot from the 2TB black drive. And keep the 3 TBs for storage.

Hi there.

You will notice faster loading times since both drives have different firmware according to the purpose they're designed for.

WD Black for instance is a performance drive designed for heavy gaming, big workloads and intensive file usage. Its mostly used in gaming computers or editing machines and has a dual-core CPU, which will give you faster loading times compared to the Green drive. Also, it has longer warranty of 5 years compared to the 2 years limited one that WD Green has.

You're saying a hard drive has a CPU?

WD Green on the other hand will suit better if you want to have just an additional space for secondary storage because of the different build-in features it has - it is an energy efficient HDD which main benefit is that it saves power and wears by spinning down when it can.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers! :)

Yup. Think about all of the stuff that has to be managed in a modern hard drive - platter speed, read/write arm position, starting and stopping read and write to the correct sector. Monitoring temperature, checking/correcting data read from the platters. I'm sure there's a lot more than I've listed here. On the other side (the SATA port) there is receiving data from the host, sending data to the host, responding to other commands and so on. Even the ancient ST-506 interface typically had a processor on the controller card that managed all of that. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST-506)

Hi mate.

Yes, all hard drives come with a CPU built into it. It's purpose is both for CACHE, and prefetching algorithms stored in the firmware. So in order to provide faster performance the Black HDD has dual-core processor that has twice the processing capability.

Seems they should work that into the marketing pitch, I'm sold! I am replacing a greenie also. Was thinking of striping 3 2TB WD Black hdd's. There are so many online backups, why not just take an image every night, and store on external site, or external drive, that way system is still all about speed.

Seems they should work that into the marketing pitch, I'm sold! I am replacing a greenie also. Was thinking of striping 3 2TB WD Black hdd's. There are so many online backups, why not just take an image every night, and store on external site, or external drive, that way system is still all about speed.

You can setup the RAID, but since it offers no redundancy make sure that you have a good and regular backup of all the important data.

Back