• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A10-8700p disappointing!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tzabcan89

Hi, so i bought a HP Envy, that i use for university. I also intended to play League on it, i know it's not a gaming PC, however League isn't really a graphics intensive game and should run fine...

I thought it would perform much better than my old laptop from 5 years ago that had an i3-350m and intel hd graphics. But to be honest, it barely out performs a 5 year old laptop, when this is supposed to be AMD's latest chip?

It struggles to get 60 fps on anything except low or very low settings. Even on low sometimes it's running at around 45 fps, without shadows, v sync enabled.

I'm just failing to understand how it cannot run this game on at least medium settings at 60 fps.

Looking at video's on youtube, i7's or i5's with the latest intel HD graphics can run league at high at 60fps with ease. So i assume this AMD A10-8700p with R6 integrated graphics is just useless hardware?

My first foray into AMD hardware, not too impressed, and think i will sell it and go buy an intel machine with the latest integrated graphics if i can't get anymore performance somehow.

Anything i can do?

Guy at PC world told me that this is equatable to an i5, but looking at benchmarking websites it seems to say it's not even equivalent to an i3.

Guy at PC world told me that this is equatable to an i5, but looking at benchmarking websites it seems to say it's not even equivalent to an i3.

I think therein lies your problem. You should have checked the latter first ;)

I would never expect anything different with gaming on a laptop. What's the model number? Resolution?

My first foray into AMD hardware, not too impressed, and think i will sell it and go buy an intel machine with the latest integrated graphics if i can't get anymore performance somehow.
You will be in a very similar boat... iGPUs aren't really made for 1080p gaming...LoL isn't exactly demanding, but still...

Gaming laptop wise...........anything but HP.
computing anything, anything but HP, from my experience.
There are companies that make laptops geared towards gaming and high performance, such as Origin PC, Asus, and MSI.

What is the exact model of your Envy?
how much memory is installed?

I can't remember the model number, can get it if you really need it.

But it has 8gb ram.

Yeah, but i didn't really see the point in getting a gaming laptop when i have a gaming pc at home. But i often go round my friends houses to play league, can't exactly take my desktop.

For example this i7 with integrated graphics is running league on high settings with 60fps

I'm just surprised that I'm playing this game on exactly the same settings as my 5 year old laptop, and there is only 10% performance gain. Guess that's what you get for being a cheap arse and buying an AMD laptop for £500 :D lol. Should've got the intel version for £120 more with i5 and 940m nvidia.

There's probably a way to configure the thing to run properly.

Though be careful with it.

My last *and only* HP, was a dv4-1220us, the dedicated video chip, LITERALLY fried, i mean, turned black and sooty. laptop had crappy cooling design, but it ran Guild Wars fine.

Envy was a good product, back before HP bought VoodooPC, but just like Dell when they bought Alienware, things went downhill.

Alright, instead of instantly poo pooing your laptop, how about we offer a little help here (because I have a laptop with a first gen i5, and that pos struggles to render websites, there is no reason your carrizo should be doing worse).
Get the model number, and do a few things for us. Run cpu-z, and take a screenshot of the memory tab. I'm interested to see what speed the ram is and if it's running in dual channel.
http://www.cpuid.com/
Also run LoL while hwmonitor is running, play for a while, then alt tab and take a screenshot of the temps. Post those two things and we'll go from there.

Well, not to be a butt here man, but you on a cheaper end laptop. Those "i7 laptops that play LoL with ease" are much more expensive (typically) than yours. Based on benchmarks, 60fps on low is about exactly where you should be.

If you want a huge boost in performance, drop down to 720p. Its league, youre not playing it for the stunning graphics.

TBH, I thought the Envy was out of production.
Personally, if I am going to get a laptop for anything other than, well, listening to music/watching movies..It's gonna be this:
https://originpc.com/gaming/laptops/eon17-x/

Ah here it is, from Wiki.

"In 2012, HP discontinued their traditional Envy 13, 14, 15 and 17 models by rebranding their Pavilion line of computers as the new Envy lineup. "

Chances are he's got an Envy 15z, if so: on their site, price @ $519.99
standard is 6gb DDR3L 2 dimm, 1Tb 5400rpm drive, AMD Quad-Core A10-8700P Processor + AMD Radeon(TM) R6 Graphics

$40 would have upgraded to a single dimm 8gb DDR3L,
$90 would have upgraded to AMD Quad-Core FX-8800P Processor + AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics

Single channel ram on an APU. Can't sarcastically thumbs up that one hard enough.

OP, if you ever come back here is my point - the APU relies on system ram instead of having discrete ram for its GPU to use. Dual channel opens up a huge amount of bandwidth for it to use, and right now you are likely running in single channel.

Here are 2 videos that that nicely demonstrate single vs dual channel with an APU.

Last edited:
It's this laptop: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-ENVY-N...ows-8-1-8GB-RAM-1TB-Silver-15-6-/131570173507

Jeeeeeeez, i know it's not meant for gaming. BUT my point is that none of you seem to grasp is, how can AMD's latest processor for laptops (apparently) be only 2a little better than my i3 processor and integrated from 5 years ago? It's a bit of a joke. I was running league on low settings on that old laptop with 40 fps, and now on this laptop it can only handle 50fps at low settings lol.

This CPU sometimes runs at 100% just when i have the league client open and firefox (not even playing the game, just at the menu). It's pretty terrible if I'm honest.

And no, i could've got an i7-5500U that would've played league with ease for £30 more, but thought i'd give AMD a try, unfortunately lol.

And no, HP haven't stopped making Envy, they've actually just brought out a new line.

I am running it at 720p.

Last edited:
Jeeeeeeez, i know it's not meant for gaming. BUT my point is that none of you seem to grasp is, how can AMD's latest processor for laptops (apparently) be only 2a little better than my i3 processor and integrated from 5 years ago? It's a bit of a joke. I was running league on low settings on that old laptop with 40 fps, and now on this laptop it can only handle 50fps at low settings lol.

You realize you just said "I know it's not meant for gaming, but why isn't it good for gaaaaaaames?", right?

AMD relies on customers like you to buy their chips (for marketing or lower price or whatever) without looking at benchmarks showing how APUs/iGPUs are useless.

Do research before you buy something, not at the store with the "help" of an employee.

End thread.

It does seem a bit weird. The passmark rating of your AMD cpu is significantly better than that of your previous i3. Have you removed or disabled any HP bloatware that might be installed on your laptop? I'd start by checking what programs are automatically run at startup.

You realize you just said "I know it's not meant for gaming, but why isn't it good for gaaaaaaames?", right?

AMD relies on customers like you to buy their chips (for marketing or lower price or whatever) without looking at benchmarks showing how APUs/iGPUs are useless.

Do research before you buy something, not at the store with the "help" of an employee.

End thread.

Haha, you're still too thick to understand what I'm trying to understand.

League doesn't need dedicated GPU's to play at very high settings, my friends play on i5's with integrated graphics at very high settings and 60 fps. I would've thought this machine would've been capable of playing it on at least medium settings at 60 fps. I'm pretty sure i know people even with i3's and integrated graphics play it on higher settings than i can.

I only play one game in particular on here, that's it. I never said "why isn't it good for games".

Evidently AMD is just trash, but you get what you pay for. I just didn't see the point in paying for a gaming laptop, when i have a dedicated gaming desktop.

For example, look at that. i3, intel HD graphics, very high settings, 1080p. If i ran those settings on here, i'd probably get about 10 fps.

Not a problem, it's obviously useless hardware, will get rid of it, and buy an i5 laptop instead.

- - - Updated - - -

It does seem a bit weird. The passmark rating of your AMD cpu is significantly better than that of your previous i3. Have you removed or disabled any HP bloatware that might be installed on your laptop? I'd start by checking what programs are automatically run at startup.

Yeah, i always remove all bloatware before i do anything on the laptop.

This is the stats when in game.

Btw, Intel's integrated graphics chips are nowadays better than some (very) old dedicated graphics cards.

Before you get rid of your current hardware, it would be interesting to know where the bottleneck is. Could you maybe run PassMark's PerformanceTest 8.0 and see whether your scores for the CPU mark, 2D mark and 3D mark are in the ballpark they should be?

Hmm. Apparently Intel's graphics chips may in fact sweep the floor with your R6, depending on the chip of course. For example the G3D rating for Intel HD 530 is almost 1200, when the R6 only scores about 600 points in the same benchmark.

Back