• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

de-lidded damaged 3770k acting up bsods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozan

Yo,

Wanted to ask an uber special question^^

So I de-lidded my 3770k a long time ago when it was hip. I used a nice razor blade I scrapped from a one use shaving razor. I had de-lidded my 3570k perfectly well before the same way but this de-lid went a little bad. I scrapped off a memory channel later it would seem. I put on the Coollaboratory liquid pro and secured the ihs. It faied to boot at first. I swapped around the memories till it worked. Since then it had been humming away happily at a 4.2 ghz with the boxed cooler on a low fan curve, load and ibt at about 90-95 celcius. I had been getting rare bsod's but they were quite rare so nothing worth pursuing really. They were mostly related to memory voltage.

Last week, my psu x-850 died. Corrupting the old bios with it. Recovered bios is the same version yet somehow it does double/triple the bsod's of the old one. Btw my cpu would bsod constantly @ stock, seems to like a wee bit more voltage. I'm talking about a voltage always below 1.34 v. There is no extreme voltages involved.

I kind of want to tackle the annoying bsod's or reduce the blue screen frequency at least. I cannot really ask this on a regular windows forum since it's like a one of a kind situation where you try to achieve stability with actually deformed hardware:D

So I'm asking for some help with this. I will provide any info from dxdiags, bsod dumps, mobo settings. :comp:

Sadly no, I sold it for cheap right away after buying 3770k. Needed money back then for further upgrades:(

My thought is to try another CPU and see if the issues persist.
You could get a cheap Pentium or Celeron to try if you want.

I can just grab my brother's 2500k for that but rather I have pretty much moved around every single component in the computer so I'm like %90 percent sure it's the cpu or the mem. The only doubt I have is the crucial m4 I have windows installed on. That I havent moved around. I tested every other component. I will grab his cpu to try, tho I dont really want to since the socket is holding down the ihs and I dont have any more cl pro to put under it. Would it be worth risking that? In the worst case can a regular tim keep up to cl pro?

It's worth it since you haven't tried swapping it yet.

No, normal TIM can't touch CL Pro when used under the IHS.

So following up, my problems seem to have vanished after changing the psu. I sent the PSU over to warranty and swapped it for my brother's unused High Power 520W psu and boom. Seasonic international support was quite helpful when the local distributor was playing at postponing a swap:D

Cheers

Wow, it's very infrequently that we hear of issues with SeaSonic. Glad they're taking care of you :)

Lol replaced unit started buzzing too. I got mad. Real mad. Replaced the cpu to 2500k, overclocked the crap out of it and the gpu. Then put both under heavy load for hours.

DIDNT WORK

I was sad. Then I kind of got another idea.

I pulled up minecraft. Set everything to mininmum settings. Looked at the floor. 1500+ fps.

AND THE BUZZ WAS GONE

HOLY CRAP:D

Seems to me that for whatever reason the PSU may not be quite large enough in wattage capacity under certain conditions, I'd try something with a little more wattage capacity and see.
Maybe a 750W unit to be sure the problem is solved?

Seems to me that for whatever reason the PSU may not be quite large enough in wattage capacity under certain conditions, I'd try something with a little more wattage capacity and see.
Maybe a 750W unit to be sure the problem is solved?

Heheh pls, it's an x-850. There is enough juice for 2 more 980's in there.

Back