• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 CANT GET BEYOND 3.0GHZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whadez

Registered
Hey Guys

I'm using a GIGABYTE EP35-DS3L Motherboard, with 4x1GB Kingmax 1066MHz Memory, and i cant get my old Q6600 beyond 3.0GHZ (9x333), i have already tried everything, changing MCH,FSB Voltages, raising the CPU Voltage, changing memory timings, but i still cant manage out to reach over 3.0GHz, i have seen other people getting at 3.6GHz with this motherboard & cpu. My CPU stepping is G0 (Normal Voltage - 1.2875V). I have also tried another Q6600 with G0 stepping (Normal Voltage - 1.35V), but it didn't worked.
I have already seen lots of topics about this mobo + cpu combo, but none of them have helped me so far.
Can anyone help me out? :confused:

My current 3.0GHz OC Settings --
CPU Voltage: 1.2875V (Stock)
PCI-E: 100mhz
FSB Ratio: 9
FSB: 333
DDR2 Overvoltage: +0.3V
MCH Overvoltage: [Normal]
FSB Overvoltage: [Normal]
PCI-E Overvoltage: [Normal]

Memory Speed: 1066MHz
Timings: 5-5-5-15 (stock is -> 5-5-5-18)

C1E and these things which can change my CPU speed & voltage have turned off.

Welcome

Naturally I have to say there is no guarantee on overclocking. Back in the day, I had a Q6600 that would not go over 3 ghz.
I am not one of the whiz kids, however you may get better results with only 2 sticks of ram. Actually, I think that dual channel was prefered on the p-35/45 boards. Also, set your ram back to auto. I seem to remember some Kingmax did not like voltage.

May or may not help, but if the dual channel works for you, you can get 2x2 ram modules for the 4 gig.

This is all from my memory, which also may be fuzzy...

You probably need 1.4 V for much more than 3.0 and at around 360 Mhz FSB, expect FSB termination voltage-related BSODs. (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and a bus/interconnect error in the event log) I would set the FSB termination voltage to 1.3 V.

One consideration is that you may need more cpu voltage (vCore) to remain stable at 3GHz or more.

It isn't always possible to achieve 3GHz with a Q6600 at the stock voltage, you may need to increase it.

My Q6600 (the second one I bought) is unusually good though, it's stock VID is 1.25v but I can run 3GHz at 1.15v and 3.3GHz at 1.216v. This is probably not a typical result. My other Q6600 needed to be set at 1.35v in the bios (though voltage under load was 1.25v (vDrop and vDroop are unusually bad on my motherboard)), and the stock VID was 1.325v.

Welcome

Naturally I have to say there is no guarantee on overclocking. Back in the day, I had a Q6600 that would not go over 3 ghz.
I am not one of the whiz kids, however you may get better results with only 2 sticks of ram. Actually, I think that dual channel was prefered on the p-35/45 boards. Also, set your ram back to auto. I seem to remember some Kingmax did not like voltage.

May or may not help, but if the dual channel works for you, you can get 2x2 ram modules for the 4 gig.

This is all from my memory, which also may be fuzzy...

You are correct, with the LGA775 platform systems had a tendency to need more vCore to remain stable when you had more than two sticks in the system. And/or the system has a tendency to sometimes become unstable when you use four sticks of memory.

When I went to 4x2GB sticks in my system for 8GB I noticed I had to increase my vCore and use more core voltage than when I was just running with 2x2GB sticks.

Last edited:
Yeah..........as I was told when starting to OC....and apparently not using enough voltage........feed the cpu volts....not gonna say it they way it was said to me......im not redneck enuff lol. *I kid I kid*

One consideration is that you may need more cpu voltage (vCore) to remain stable at 3GHz or more.

It isn't always possible to achieve 3GHz with a Q6600 at the stock voltage, you may need to increase it.

My Q6600 (the second one I bought) is unusually good though, it's stock VID is 1.25v but I can run 3GHz at 1.15v and 3.3GHz at 1.216v. This is probably not a typical result. My other Q6600 needed to be set at 1.35v in the bios (though voltage under load was 1.25v (vDrop and vDroop are unusually bad on my motherboard)), and the stock VID was 1.325v.

Mine requires 1.4 V at 3.3 for Linpack to pass.
(maybe a little less)
(VID on mine is 1.3250V)

And it's prone to bus errors at about 365 Mhz FSB.

Mine requires 1.4 V at 3.3 for Linpack to pass.
(maybe a little less)
(VID on mine is 1.3250V)

And it's prone to bus errors at about 365 Mhz FSB.
Slightly better than my 1.325v VID chip then.

I was at 1.43v for 3.3GHz, and it wasn't fully stable.

I have tried to boot 3.4GHz @ 1.45V Core and 1.5V Core, but it's crashed.
I managed out to post @ 3.19GHz, but i'm getting blue screens after the operating system loads.
I've tried to change MCH & FSB Voltage by +.2 & +.3, and also changing the CPU Voltage but it didn't helped.

- - - Updated - - -

I've changed my DRAM Clocks to 4-4-4-12, but i couldn't post with it @ 3.0GHz.
Also i'm using FSB-DRAM Ratio -> 1:1

Slightly better than my 1.325v VID chip then.

I was at 1.43v for 3.3GHz, and it wasn't fully stable.

I think i have found the problem.
I can change my VCore, but it wont change. :)shock::shock::shock:)
I've tried to change it to 1.5V (Just for testing), and it posted @ 3.2GHz, but when i checked CPU-Z, my CPU Voltage was between 1.2V - 1.2875V. ???
What should i do?
I'm using F4 Bios. Should i update my bios?

I'm so happy that i found this forum!
I've updated my BIOS from F4 to F6, and it let me change CPU Voltage.

I was at 9x400 (3.6GHz)
FSB -> +.1V
MCH -> +.2V
RAM TIMINGS -> Auto
RAM -> 1184MHz
VCore -> 1.475V (Cause of HUGE VDrop)

Aida showed 70 celcius as the biggest temperature (SpeedFan showed - 80c)
My NB was at 75 celcius at maximum.

I'm curious about these temperatures, so i've lowered the clock speeds down a bit, now it's running stable at 3.4GHz with 1.45V Core & +.1V MCH Voltage

My CPU is getting around 75c at 100% stress
And my NB is getting around 65c at maximum stress.

I have got some MX-4 Thermal Paste, can i change the thermal compound on the North Bridge?

What vCore are you seeing at idle and what is your vCore showing under load?

70°C seems a bit high for a Q6600. What heat sink or cooler are you using on your CPU?

For the MCH and FSB voltage, don't go above +.2v.

Replacing the original thermal paste/compound on the North Bridge chip may help a bit, but given that it is a passive heat sink (no fan) I wouldn't be expecting any amazing temps. With my board I had to replace the stock heatsink with a larger, heavier one that had a fan.

Though 3.6GHz is a pretty high overclock for a Q6600, and not easy to achieve. That may provide a partial explanation for the high CPU temps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gig...ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMImL6gqP2pyAIVA1U-Ch35Ygr0

DSCN2581.JPG

Last edited:
I think i've found something interesting.
When my CPU isn't underload, my VCore is around 1.360 - 1.372
But when it underload, it's running at 1.328
How is this even possible lmao

lol_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

That's normal, actually. Its called vDroop. In order to minimize/eliminate vDroop, use LLC(Load Line Calibration).

Have you read the guide yet?

Haha not yet.
Where does the LLC located in my BIOS? I couldn't find it :s
Here are my BIOS Settings. 175326137BIOS_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

Oh well. It isn't needed. Just makes for easier selection of the vcore. Just know you will sag a bit and go off the load voltage. ;)

Nope. As I said, it isn't a big deal in the least, its normal. We just don't like to see it dip.

Back