• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Does this happen? (Spybot content)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Success... ish.

After some sleuthing around, I have found that these temporary files are cache files saved by google chrome. Is there a way to disable caching? Or at least minimize it? It appears to be saving every single web page I go to or something crazy like that.

Apparently adding this to the command line will disable the cache? Dont see any options to disable or limit cache... might be time for a new browser!

--disk-cache-size=N --media-cache-size=N

edit: switching to opera i think!

Last edited:
It appears that you are referring to normal computer behavior that your questionable antimalware/antivirus software led you to believe was cause for concern.
Browsers cache files so that it doesn't take as long to access the same page twice. This is normal behavior.

Simply use CCleaner to clean up afterwards, it's much like flushing the toilet, only you do this after using your browser....

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim
Double click on Setup.exe to install the program.

Copy the program shortcut to another location > Right click on the program shortcut > Properties > Next to Target:
"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /AUTO
> OK
to create a new shortcut that would start the program, clean all, then close the program.

Cleaner > Applications TAB > UNCHECK: Office [or its settings will be reset]

Options > Advanced > UNCHECK: Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours

Good luck.

Ive never seen a browser cache 3-500 MB of data (at a time) before. Seems abnormal. Having an SSD, I really dont want the write/delete cycles t here.

I will have to check my browser cache and see if it is doing it. Chrome W7 64 right?

That said, if it is the browser itself and nothing external and nefarious, I wouldn't worry about writes on an SSD. Though it may seem like a lot, it really isn't.

Consider:
Over the past 18 months, we've watched modern SSDs easily write far more data than most consumers will ever need. Errors didn't strike the Samsung 840 Series until after 300TB of writes, and it took over 700TB to induce the first failures. The fact that the 840 Pro exceeded 2.4PB is nothing short of amazing, even if that achievement is also kind of academic...

...The important takeaway is that all of the drives wrote hundreds of terabytes without any problems. Their collective endurance is a meaningful result...
http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

If its normal (and I believe it is), stop deleting it as it would be there for a reason I would imagine.

If you were writing 500MB a day and your drive could handle 300TB, it would take you 62,910 days (assuming my math is correct - it very well may not be) or 170 years to kill the drive just from that.

Last edited:
Ive never seen a browser cache 3-500 MB of data (at a time) before. Seems abnormal. Having an SSD, I really dont want the write/delete cycles t here.

Browsers absolutely store several hundred MB of data.
This is basic, normal, modern computer usage.

alright i reinstalled windows... Just felt sluggish, and Im not sure what exactly was going on. Oh well.

I am on the extreme end of what you just posted, since Windows 98, the most I have ever gone without imaging was a couple of months.
The moment I notice fraction of a second slow down, I nuke and reimage and ask no questions unless a major blatant slow down occurs, then I investigate.

But 'a little slugish'? It's faster for me to nuke it then to diagnose it... that works if you have a full complete image of everything set up just like you want it to be.

I see the problem is fixed, but I wanted to add that a "sfc /scannow" would have been in my toolbox for that problem.

As far as the SSD, I dont know of any reason not to use a ramdisk for caching on your browser. There are several settings that can be used to either save the contents of the disk or to let them go to whereever info in the ram goes when powered off (deleted). If there is a reason beyond that your ram is needed for other purposes, I would be open to learning. I find a ramdisk to be moderately useful, but think there might be some hidden drawback (besides the ram that it locks up).

yup

SFC and DISM are our friends :p
I'm kinda suprised that sfc didnt show up as a suggestion earlier. Do ya mean that sfc is so obvious that it didnt bear mentioning? Is it inappropriate as a troubleshooting tool in this case? I mean I agree that a good image backup will get you out of damn near anything, but like bob I usually want to know what is really going on in there. Just curious. Thanks

DISM = wtf!?!?! so I use macrium :)

Why not just use windows defender and security essentials. I know they are not the best but TBH I have not had any problems with viruses for 3-4 years.
Pair that with Firefox and Ghostery+Adblock edge and possibly WOT and you're golden.
If you deal with questionable source of files constantly I would understand the added security of dedicated 3rd party tools.
Spybot is great to run from time to time but it can also generate a lot of false alarms which can cripple things like 3rd party virus scanners.
I would also suggest using the built in firewall of your router to detect and block port scans and whatnot.

Temporarily disable other av and antivirus software and then scan with Eset online scanner. It does the most thorough job of any that I have found. Hitman Pro is another excellent anti-malware cleaner but you can only use it one time (or 30 days) for free.

Back