• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issue with G.Skill Sniper and Sabertooth r2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NZKshatriya

DMCA Violated Member
This memory/device compatibility crap...

Having issues with my G.Skill Sniper mem in my Sabertooth 990fx R2,

Have dual sets of F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

*have done manual settings, but have had some issues so decided to see what G.Skills site said.*

Go to the G.Skill page, look at their configurator links, and nope, no info for configuring my sets with the Sabertooth r2, apparently its only on the QVL for the original Sabertooth.

Seriously, since when does It's within specs, not mean, its within specs???

Shouldn't memory, that is clearly within the advertised supported 1866mhz specification, just work?

Whats next? compatible brands of sata cables?

This memory/device compatibility crap...

Having issues with my G.Skill Sniper mem in my Sabertooth 990fx R2,

Have dual sets of F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

*have done manual settings, but have had some issues so decided to see what G.Skills site said.*

Go to the G.Skill page, look at their configurator links, and nope, no info for configuring my sets with the Sabertooth r2, apparently its only on the QVL for the original Sabertooth.

Seriously, since when does It's within specs, not mean, its within specs???

Shouldn't memory, that is clearly within the advertised supported 1866mhz specification, just work?

If it's the same Snipers I have try raising the Cpu Nb voltage. I had a hell of a time getting my 1866 Snipers stable with my Fx 8350 on all of my Asus boards. I needed 1.3875 Cpu Nb voltage to get them stable with my chip.

Well, THAT was fun.
not only did that not work, but it earned me the nice loop of 1 long 2 short beeps.
and a few rounds of video out not working until I reloaded defaults, and reset things back to where I normally have them *so ready to give this thing a swift kick*

I had nothing but troubles with mine, recently after 2 years of no issues with the cpu nb v at 1.3875 they started giving me issues again. So i just pulled them. Using my Geil EVO 1600's 9-9-9 at 1866 9-10-9 now without an issue.

meh yeah.

Put them back at 1600, and all is well.

I swear, none of these issues were around back when I was running on the first Sabertooth, not sure what they did with this R2, but usually a second rev is supposed to be better.

I cannot wait for winter to eventually get here.....so I can actually have my system run somewhat stable.

And now that that sorta got fixed, I have component store corruption, running "Repair-WindowsImage -Online –RestoreHealth" via PowerShell *gotta love PS, makes cmd.exe look impotent*

I've had the issue running the Snipers on Sabertooth Rev 1.0 as well. It seems it's just something about these sticks and the Fx chips. I actually RMA'ed 2 sets because I thought the sticks were bad before realizing they just do not like my Fx setup.

Well, apple offers that :)

But really barely any memory manufacturer is preparing memory for AMD. The only manufacturer which was/is making memory with AMP is Patriot which is also making these Radeon branded memory kits. All others are focusing on Intel. Even if they test memory on AMD then it's more to tell users which kits are working but they are not additionally prepared to work good on AMD, offer lower latency etc. Manufacturers are also changing IC under the same part number so you can expect different behaviour on new and older kits.

On the other hand all memory kits should work at default clocks ( JEDEC specs ) and above that you can set frequency and timings manually.
Other thing is that AMD/FX is supporting high capacity memory ... but somehow more on paper than in real. Most tested by me 2x8/4x8GB kits couldn't overclock much above stock/XMP or had problems with stability. Now think that new 4GB modules are in real 1/2 of 8GB modules ( single sided instead of double sided ), with the same memory chips/density and you will find at least part of the answer why newer memory kits are not working so good on AMD.
Motherboard manufacturers also care less about AMD than Intel so you can't expect so many BIOS updates and after about 3 months after release they make only BIOS versions which are fixing critical issues. Additional memory support is nothing really important for them it seems. New Intel boards have often 4-5 BIOS updates with only "improves memory support" description.

Sorry that my post is not helping to solve this issue.

@Woomack

Your post is more than welcome.

thread is dual purpose...
1. to try and solve a certain issue
2. to understand why there doesn't seem to be industry standardization any more LOL.

And yeah apple.....They aren't a computer company.....They are a lifestyle company, with tech products.

Back