• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY Speaker stands

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Not wanting to spend 100$ on decent quality speaker stands, I just decided to make my own.

Materials ->

1"x3" Hard maple cut to 8" length
1"x8" Poplar, cut to 8" lengths
1.25" fine thread wood screws
Shellac
Primer
Rustoleum truck bed coating

Cost -> ~30$ for both stands with shellac, primer, and coating left over (plenty for more or larger pieces).

Step 1) plane the wood
1444153786515_resized.jpeg

Step 2) size the wood
1444153788179_resized (1).jpeg

Step 3) place the angles
1444153789988_resized.jpeg

Step 4) drill holes and chamfer the pieces
1444153799913_resized.jpeg

Step 6) test fit and prime
1444153804576_resized.jpeg

Step 7) finish
1444153807717_resized.jpeg 1444153810160_resized.jpeg finished with speaker.jpg

Nice work Bob, did you coat the bare wood with anything or leave them nekked?

Would rubber feet be necessary to keep them from rattling on that hardwood floor , or are they heavy enough? Maybe some sort of nonskid pad?

Would rubber feet be necessary to keep them from rattling on that hardwood floor , or are they heavy enough? Maybe some sort of nonskid pad?

Yup I installed some rubber feet for furniture I had laying around. They are pretty hefty tho, I think they'd be ok either way. If they vibrate I'll just throw some foam on the top.

Maple was sealed with a few coats of shellac.

Last edited:
The real question here is WTH is that wire going to ?!?! under the floor? I can see you dont have any mopboards or floor trim... but that wire just jumps right down into the floor and goes off into mystery. Working with pcs has made cable management a passing interest :D

Edit: I just saw you were using Truck bed liner. Best damn paint known to man. Id paint the whole world in that stuff if I could. Except maybe for 500 degree engine paint, or plastidip. Anyway, I didnt say before but nice work

The real question here is WTH is that wire going to ?!?! under the floor? I can see you dont have any mopboards or floor trim... but that wire just jumps right down into the floor and goes off into mystery. Working with pcs has made cable management a passing interest :D

Edit: I just saw you were using Truck bed liner. Best damn paint known to man. Id paint the whole world in that stuff if I could. Except maybe for 500 degree engine paint, or plastidip. Anyway, I didnt say before but nice work

First, thank you!

2nd, thats my desk lol. You did bring up a good point... I have NO IDEA how to hide the wires here... lol

20150605_184032_zpsxmjekfn0.jpg 20151006_191750_resized.jpg

hehehe... I thought those were MUCH bigger speakers on a hardwood floor... silly me.

zipties are your friend as well as braiding cords and such. You setup looks pretty clean anyway, I dont know what more managment could be done with those.

Nice work Bob. Those look really good.

My personal carpentry skills are very similar to Homer Simpson's, so needless to say I'm a little jealous.

homer1.JPG

homer2.JPG

Wound up making a headphone stand to go with everything. Similar style, used ash for the top and bottom parts for weight, and painting ash is just a massive massive pain in the arse, so I just stained it.

20151007_195218_resized.jpg 20151007_195253_resized.jpg

Back