• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I 'do' a 290x HIS Turbo IceQ on OCZ ZS 650W PSU, lean config? (with molex)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbieOneKenobi

46A single rail, 550W total for 12V
CPU is e8600 Wolfdale (rated TDP 65W, typical consumption closer to 120W)
only one SATA2 disk 7200 rpm (Samsung F1), fans are probably not powered through 12V, dunno about the soundcard (X-fi titanium PCIE, no power plug)

Recommended PSU by manufacturer: 750W (probably noname, though)

Problem: My PSU has 6+8 PCI-E pins. I would need to use molex for the 2nd 8-pin (or go without ground/whatever if the plug does actually fit).

My own understanding is that as long as I have the amps and watts at all, and a single 12V line, the cables and terminations shouldn't really matter, only the total juice my PSU is capable of providing. This said, I just can't be sure, because I have no technical background and don't know much about electricity, at least can't be sure in situations like this and would rather not be guessing.

I suppose it's possible that you can't be sure either, so please let me know how high you think the risk is that I would end up needing to buy a new PSU or go dual-PSU (I have a working Tagan 520W PSU with 30-something amps on two 12V lines, which I could use to power either the the CPU separately or the 2nd 8-pin plug on the GPU via molex, as that PSU has a single 6-pin PCIE plug only). I presume there is no risk of frying either the card or anything else.

Background fact: Different 290X cards have an 8-pin and a 6-pin. Therefore I suspect the difference is not large.

Intended usage: heavy and long gaming sessions, but also even more of the kind of office work that takes long hours but doesn't actually use/need GPU much.

Thank you for your time & helping out a non-techie.

Bonus questions:

1. Is this card worth $60 more than a safer 280x/380, especially considering OC?
2. Should I worry about this card being rated for DirectX 11.2 only, not full 12, whereas it's also based on old GPU technology? (Ergo get 300-series if ATI.)
3. Anything else I should know or consider (e.g. vs GTX 970 or vs any other specific card)?

Last edited:
Yes. There shouldn't be much risk assuming the PSU is still putting out its rated power. The GPU is 250W stock, and your CPU 65W at stock. Give 50-75W for the mobo/fans/hdd/etc... that still doesn't reach 400W.

Last edited:
Yes. There shouldn't be much risk assuming the PSU is still putting out its rated power. The GPU is 250W stock, and your CPU 65W at stock. Give 50-75W for the mobo/fans/hdd/etc... that still doesn't reach 400W.

Thanks!

According to benchmark data the Wolfdale grabs 200W when OC'ed heavily, though I suspect the data is more like system power than CPU alone. That leaves 350W out of the 550W that the PSU claims to put on the 12V line. And it's 80-bronze certified (actual 82-84). After getting a new mobo & CPU, I think I'll probably have an i5 or something with similar power requirements. Does this info affect your advice?

That would be SYSTEM draw, yep.

Bronze/its certification doesn't mean a thing for output.

It would not affect it, no. The difference is ~30W between Skylake (91W) and your Wolfdale (65W).

Back