• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

in need of globals...thoughts for next upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hiya Folks!

Going to be selling off some boards and cpus in the coming weeks and am thinking of plowing the funds raised into something new. Am doing ok on hware boints but my globals are horrendous so would really like to get something together that'll help me improve in that area.

Hoping to get the ss and cascade to NoL either next week or the following one. While I'm out in amish-land, will also be swinging by Witchy's to pick up his 35L dewar and z97 oc formula. Soooo....hopefully will be back benching in the next couple months.

Atm...the fastest stuff I've got includes:
- g3258- 6.1+ GHz (did 6.1 under cascade with almost 0 tweaking, should do better with tweaking and under ln2)
- 4930k- 6.1+ GHz (prior owner had it at 6.1 with 1.695v, tested it at Witchy's...cb is -189C)
- 7970's- have 6 or 7 of these
- 680's- have 3 of these
- ram- lots

Figuring that once all cooling's repaired, could do something like cpu under ln2, ram under cascade and a single vga under ss (have evap mounting kits for both ram and vgas). Multi-vga setups will all be watercooled. (As an aside, do you think it'd be possible/advisable/good to add antifreeze to my waterloop then connect the ss to the mora rad?).

So...whatcha think? Thinking I need to go with one of the newer platforms to nail out some decent globals? What would you folks recommend for specific parts? New cpu? New mobo? New vga? Some of each? As you can tell, am not up to date on the state of global boint lovin' yet.

Want to keep the total spend under $1K. Less would be preferred.

Thanks for your thoughts!

If you want modern 3D Globals (3DMVantage, 06 11, FS), you need Hex/Octo core CPU (4930K at 6Ghz is nice) and the best GPU out (980Ti and mod the hell out of it). If you are looking before that time 3D, you will want the fastest dualcore+ chip in your arsenal + certain cards for the benchmarks (not sure which ones for which benchmark).

These are my 2 cents:

2D:
1 core: sempron 145, 790X/FX board, ddr3, Elpida Hyper mems (your 2000C7 are fine).
1 core: Intel Xeon L3014, Rampage Extreme and UD3P, Elpida Hyper and some Micron D9GKX.
Dual core: Intel G3258, you have a good one. Z97X-SOC Force is gonna be perfect, a good PSC kit for it. For wprime, you need a 1156 system, binned H55(!!) board, binned cpu, will take a lot of time, money and effort.
Quad core globals: you'd need a 6700K, or a 6600+ 4770/90K

And those are not gonna last for a long time even then...

3D:
For 01-03-05-06 you need samsung at 2800+C9 tight and a 6400+ 4770K for example (other than bendlake).

Vantage, 11, FS and newer, you'll need a 5960X.

Two words - Current Generation.

For most any benches current generation is going to net you most global points especially in cpu's.
5960, 5820, 6700k, and 4370 are going to get you there for 8c, 6c, ect., ect.
980ti or Titanx for gpus or 2,3,4x of anything current or last Gen should pay off as well.

Thanks everyone!!!

Ran through the subs at the bot. For 2D, have a sempy 145 and the nice g3258 and 4930k. Spi1 wants a 3770k, spi32 wants a 4770k but don't really think I'll be picking up either of those. The i3-4370 is only good for XTU (and I maybe have one around somewhere).

The 5820k looks decent but my 4930k shouldn't stink badly for now. 5960x is just a lot more than I can swing atm. Best bet and bang for the buck atm seems to be the 6700k (top scores in pifast, wprime, XTU, cinebench and hwbotprime) so that's the one. What's the balls mobo atm for that socket?

Haven't checked the 3d's yet but forgot to mention that I've also got a pair of 780Ti's. Maybe those could be ok if I get someone to mod the poop out of them?

So....if I grab a 6700k, what mobo and ram would be best for boint farming?

Super Pi wants the fastest of anything. Preferably the latest generation of CPUs.... but that will depend on where the old gen tops out. For example, if you have a 6Ghz 4790K, but a 6.4Ghz 3770K, the 3770K should be faster and overcome the IPC differences.

For 6700K, grab an OC Formula. Not sure on the ram, I just grab some DDR4 3200+ and go from there.

For 3D, as was said above, the latest generation of cards, 980Ti, Titan, etc. Again though, if you mod the crap out of the 780ti's, it will reach 980ti levels and past... however, you are still competing against 980ti's that are modded.

So again, globals = highest end as fast as it can run.

Thanks d00d!

Will start keeping my eyes peeled for a good 6700k. As it'll still be at least a month before I've got decent cooling, I've got some time.

Thanks everyone!!!

Ran through the subs at the bot. For 2D, have a sempy 145 and the nice g3258 and 4930k. Spi1 wants a 3770k, spi32 wants a 4770k but don't really think I'll be picking up either of those. The i3-4370 is only good for XTU (and I maybe have one around somewhere).

The 5820k looks decent but my 4930k shouldn't stink badly for now. 5960x is just a lot more than I can swing atm. Best bet and bang for the buck atm seems to be the 6700k (top scores in pifast, wprime, XTU, cinebench and hwbotprime) so that's the one. What's the balls mobo atm for that socket?

Haven't checked the 3d's yet but forgot to mention that I've also got a pair of 780Ti's. Maybe those could be ok if I get someone to mod the poop out of them?

So....if I grab a 6700k, what mobo and ram would be best for boint farming?
As Earth dog said, OCF is it for z170. Almost too easy.
You'd be surprised what a decent 5820 can do to a 4930. I got really lucky with mine though. All about the switch to ddr4 really. Any new Samsung kits will do well on z170, however AFR looks to be the next great thing in ram. Only ES atm. If you're going with z170 OCF, Splave thread on xs is a must read. Nick frequents the thread as well and provides help and bios updates as they're developed

Thanks man!

Yeah...having to pick carefully...don't have enough to swing a 6700k and 5820 so will have to ride with my 4930k. Agreed...been seeing some of the AFR results...certainly promising and, hopefully, they'll be widely available and the pricing will come down a little by the time I'm ready to buy.

Yep...subbed to Splave's thread. Thanks for the heads up.

Back