• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTB AMD 270X Video Card , what brand should i buy ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s8n

Registered
hi OC members , i am looking to update my Asus AMD Video Card. My current specs are below btw my CPU is overclocked to 4.5GHZ thanks to members here on this forum , im looking at the AMD 270X family due to my power supply being 750w and i wont have to get a new one.

from my searches at online shops the 270X is being phased out so i dont have many choices in brands , the below is available at the shops i shop at.

Sapphire Radeon Dual-X R9 270X, 4GB
Sapphire Radeon Dual-X R9 270X, 2GB
Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X OC, 2GB
POWER COLOR AXR9-270X 2GB
ASUS Radeon R9 270X - 2GB GDDR5 - (1120MHz, 5600MHz)

w6vejL.jpg

hi OC members , i am looking to update my Asus AMD Video Card. My current specs are below btw my CPU is overclocked to 4.5GHZ thanks to members here on this forum , im looking at the AMD 270X family due to my power supply being 750w and i wont have to get a new one.

from my searches at online shops the 270X is being phased out so i dont have many choices in brands , the below is available at the shops i shop at.

Sapphire Radeon Dual-X R9 270X, 4GB
Sapphire Radeon Dual-X R9 270X, 2GB
Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X OC, 2GB
POWER COLOR AXR9-270X 2GB
ASUS Radeon R9 270X - 2GB GDDR5 - (1120MHz, 5600MHz)

Quality 750W PSU should be able to handle 290X easily as long as you don't go balls out crazy with overclocking. That being said you should look for used 290/280x cards. 270x is little bit light if you like to game on 1080p or above with decent framerate.
I would personally look for 290 because it is really affordable and delivers good performance. If you want to stick with options you listed I would pick sapphire 4GB model.
I picked up my second 290(used) with EK fullcover block and backplate for the price of new 270x.

hi Waza thanks for your input , all info is great btw my PSU is a XFX 750w Core Edition

750W is plenty for a 290x and overclocking it... even on an AMD Octo core.

As far as brand, honestly, its 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Go with what is theleast expensive and looks good. But I agree with Waza, look for a used 280x/290 for 1080p gaming.

howdy EarthDog , i definitely need to confirm ............my CPU is already overclocked to 4.5GHZ and i can get a 290x with a 750w PSU ?

that would be awesome !

i found a source to get a Sapphire 290x too

Figure your 95w chip even overclocked is drawing tops 140w and that's likely an over estimate. Even if you're drawing another 150w from the rest of the system, which is doubtful. A 750w Psu is plenty, though make and model would be helpful to know, if it's getting a bit long in the tooth it may be time to replace it.

hi guys , my PSU is a XFX Pro 750w Core Edition and yes the CPU is drawing about 140w at times. I also have a Antec KÜHLER H2O 950 Performance Liquid CPU Cooling System

Back