• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"TheBianch" - Reader's Digest Bench Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Blaylock said:
...that pump looks awfully familiar.
bought it off this HaySeed plow boy for a song!!!

...what it's the plan there?
Uh, dunno! I asked you all! As I have no idea.

I do know I need a bucket

bucket2.jpg

Whoops, wrong one

bucket.jpg

And this

pump.jpg

And some of this 1/2" x 3/4" and 5/8" x 3/8" tubage.
1/4" rubber walls for awesomeness!

tubage.jpg

Also'd like to upgrades the DDC 3.1 pump to 3.2.
Anywhere you can just buy the just a pump motor without housing?!
As my housing is the manifold on the Predator radiator.
Or just buy the least expensive DDC 3.2 I can find and just remove housing?

And, err what else....

You're not just gonna use that fountain pump or are there 2 projects in the works here?

Two, maybe Three

Yes, my always shrewd and astute mentor, right on the mark.

Actually there are a couple moving parts here, and I am not just talking about bowels...

So here are a few indoor/outdoor scenarios I am looking at covering for the cold.

Closed Loop - Air only

With just the Predator running per usual in the garage.
I can also use the 140x80mm rad and the second pump, either as a second loop or piggy back into 360 for a single loop.

Closed Loop - Air and/or other - Passive

Now with that options of the 140x80mm rad, lets bring in the bucket and try a number of direct cooling approaches.
Submersion, of course. Starting with just icewater bucket in the garage. Maybe throw it in a snow bank.
Also the dry ice theory we discussed previously somewhere, where I would set the rad, with fans on a pedestal of some sort in the bucket..
where it was positioned nicely and then line bottom of bucket with dry ice.
In this scenario you could run the CPU off the predator, and the GPU off the bucket. Or visa/versa. Or run as one loop.

Open Loop - Active

So now basically what we can do is replace the 140x80mm rad with the bad boy submersible and run whatever we want to make really cold.
In same fashion, you'll have the same config options you have when using the 140x80mm.

So set-up preview
I will move the Predator mounts to provide more space and better port access.
I will mount the new pump somewhere accommodating by the Predator.
If you noticed the pump has 2x in and 2x out. The 140x80 has 3x of each.

In this set-up, using my QDCs and maybe a couple of valves to get fancy, we can switch between different configs easily.

Yes SwartHack overkill as usual.:cool:

Hey what about that DDC 3.2 motor!? Where can you get just the motor, without housing/top?
Me no find!

Salud

"Hey what about that DDC 3.2 motor!? Where can you get just the motor, without housing/top?
Me no find!"

I wish I had the answer to that one. I've only seen them sold as a complete pump. maybe some of the more experienced members will know, but not this guy.

Importance of Radiator Care

So the exercise of dismantling the Predator 360 resulted in two things:

1. A thorough cleaning and inspection of the unit.
2. That I CAN NOT use the Predator pump and bypass the 360 rad. That secondary port on the back is "In" for radiator.

IMG_2512.JPG

Oh and one more thing. Radiators are very delicate. Be very, very careful when handling radiators.

IMG_2505.JPG

So the one main ding I remember, but all the other stuff?!?
It was also sooo full of dog hair!!!
Then there are these, some of which I suspect may be manufacturing defects?

IMG_2503.JPG IMG_2504.JPG

SO I moved the Predator.

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

So the second pump is going to go in that square space opened up above the "Badges of Honor" and left of TUF sticker.
Should have it sometime next week, but PPC shipping has been affected by Matthew. Did anyone else get in on their Hurricane sale?

IMG_2519.JPG

The patented SwartHack floating rad.

IMG_2520.JPG

That full board cooling kit was a pre-order. 3-weeks, soonest:-/
As I need to proceed, I had the original unused Predator CPU block

IMG_2525.JPG

Hasta Pronto

Those minor dings on the rad will not affect it's performance at all. So long as the tubes aren't damaged all is well. The 3rd and 4th images I can't tell but is it just the paint flaking off? again not a big deal if it is.

To help with the dog fur you could fabricate a dust filter for the intake side of the rad. It shouldn't be to hard.

Looking good Senior Hack!

Hacked the Predator!!! Do not disassemble a Predator!!!

[QUOTE...]fabricate a dust filter for the intake side...[/QUOTE]

Hey, yah. I think I need to start using dust filters across the board on all my rigs...

So yeah, kinda bummed out here...
Won't get into the specific's except I ended up using CA to permanently fix my problem.
Now the pump stops and starts. You need to Fonzy it with a rubber screwdriver handle to get it going again.
NOT COOL! arrgghhh

EKWB Support (Igor) (EKWB Support)
Oct 10, 09:00 CEST
Dear Eric

Thank you for contacting us.

Yes, sadly it is not meant to be disassembled and assembled again this way as the screws there are self tapping screws which means that after you take it apart, you will never be able to assemble it the same way and securely again.

I can offer you these replacement parts if you like for 20eur + shipping costs.
If you give me your full name and address, I can also give you a quote for the shipping costs and you can than decide if you will take it or not.
For this you will get this plastic part with orings (no pump, of course).
02dVuCJC6Esr5XXL1Pei7q0n7

Best regards, Igor

I have responded indicating I would need a pump as well. Preferable a DDC 3.2.
Maybe I'll get my pump upgrade after all. Hardy er a har...

At this point I almost want to ditch the Predator and just put a fatter 3x120 in there with the new pump I am waiting on.
I'd also need to put a pwm hub on The Bianch, which would be kinda cool.

We'll see what Igor says, but for now I am kinda stalled out. Maybe have it worked out before I get the Maximus VII Hero cooling kit delivered...
I got other shiat to do anyway....

Hasta Entonces

That's a bummer.

Also, it's pronounced "EEEEgor"

For those young and confused do yourselves a great service and google Young Frankenstein. Classic igor.jpg

Har Hardy Ha Har! Classic Movie!!!
Marty Feldman always creeped me out.

I would also assume the young and confused may need help with The Fonz!
Or is he generationally transcendent?!? Mostly due to this...

Cheers!

Radiators for ambient cold

So question to the masses here, or to just Blaylock:clap:
Maybe El Nuevo Señor Miembro could pontificate insight?
(That is a terible and not accurate translation)

So of course the general assumption is the thicker the Rad the better, right?

Well for 25C ambient, not necessarily the case. Right? or AAANNCCHHH-WRONG!!
At some point the air heats up past its efficacy point?

But for ambient cold, like in my garage around -5C, wouldn't thicker be better? err, Right?

Either way, if you needed a new rad for this purpose and had all the money to spend, which one would you get, if listed
AND if you are a cheap-bastardo, but still wanted a quality solution which would you pick.

Oh, and assume push and pull fans. Thanks.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/radiators/shopby/radiator-size--360-3-x-120mm/?limit=90

Salud

This is truly not my speci-AL-ity but I believe the general rule for benching is yes thicker is better. Reasoning, more volume of water to work with and more surface area of rad should in theory provide a longer duration before heat saturation. Naturally fin density will play a major role in this. Swiftech has a very nice data set here comparing their XP and QP radiators. I wish others would do this. Scroll to the bottom if it's TL;DR.

I would pontificate that ambient is ambient regardless if its 25C or -5C. The goal is to get the lowest DeltaT possible. This is generally achieved by the simple formula of Maximum rad surface times maximum air through the rads (Push pull-High Speed-High static fans) plus a low restriction/high efficiency water block(s) plus good flow rate (1+ LPM).

Since I am (re)building something similar I'm looking at a 1080 MO-RA3 to be placed permanently outside. Also as I'm a, how did you say, oh yeah, el cheapo-bastardo I'll probably get the one that only has fan mounting on one side. It's $50 cheaper and that's 9 less industrial fans to buy.

na zdrowie

EDIT: Not sure if you following Jakob from Watercool's thread but he indicated they are in the process of re-designing a new line of rads based off the very successful MO-RA3 design. Check it out here.

Last edited:
Shawn, would it work better with the bucket outside too. I've been contemplating this for about a month now. I would assume with it outside too that it would stay cold longer.

I'm sure it probably would but it's not necessary and where do you put it. That bucket gets cold enough (-25°c on really cold days) frost forms on it so put it on a towel.
The biggest factor is the sun. Even on a cold day my window faces south and the sun really warms that black radiator. At night though you can make that chip squeal.

Hmm, things to think about...

Good feedback there gentlemen, much obliged...

Basically my initial plan is to just set-up The Bianch in my garage.

So EK is hooking me up with replacement parts and a new DDC 3.2 pump!

Igor at EK said:
I can offer you all that for 80eur + shipping costs.
Since you are from the USA, your shipping options are:
- DHL Express (3 days) with tracking € 14.90
- UPS (3 days) with tracking € 16.90

94.60 E = $107

So knowing that, I will stick with the predator and my previous plans, for now...

Tots Zien

wow another log I missed. :(
Can you like, PM me every time you post a log? lol

Good on EK for the replacement too!

Huzzah..whaaa...huh...???

Common, you Snow Mexican
:p (gotta love trump)

Pull your melon out of the snowbank eh, scrape up some Loonies and Toonies for a two-fer and get with the game, eh?!

Actually, only have a few logs (collective sigh of relief...), your sub'd now
:cool:

EK Update- I got the parts, but not the pump!?! Sent them a message and Igor replied:

EKWB Support (Igor) (EKWB Support)
Oct 18, 15:03 CEST
Hello

I'm really sorry to hear that.
I have already forwarded the information to our guys in shipping to check it out and see what happened and as soon as I get a response I will let you know.
Of course if you really didn't get it, we will send it asap.

Best regards, Igor

"If I really didn't get it"???? har hardy har, no I am trying to scam for an extra $100 pump.
I assured him I didn't get it:shrug:

Cheers!

Predator Re-build

OK - back to where we were left off before getting side-tracked by the results of my "mod", err hack on the pump.
It was a good diversion as it forced me to focus on other undone tasks on
Father Time.

So got all the parts, plus some...

The super-cool Alphacool VPP pump came in.

IMG_2601.JPG

Looks like I need to re-arrange my "Badges of Honor"

The radiator manifold, cover/pump-housing, the new DDC 3.2 pump and various O-rings.
Note the different impeller on the 3.2 version. It also feels a lot beefier. It really cranks!!!

IMG_2683.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

The pump was not set-up/wired for use with the Predator PWM hub?!?!
No problem though with a quick hack.

IMG_2686.JPG

OK Kids, I must follow the official "Hack" bylaws and also share/show our, err mis-steps.
The bylaws refer to this as the "HackRichard Clause".
It is our obligation to take ownership and share anytime we HackRichard anything!!!!

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

So yeah, maybe used a little too much CA. Hardy har... I wanted to use the thin stuff, but only had gap filler CA
Actually should have worked, the seal was super bomber!!!
Even though it appears part of the inlet O-ring may have been exposed to just a little CA, e.g. melted!
The CA basically bonded it all together and it didn't leak. The pump would just give out after 5-10 minutes.
It also still runs. Gonna put it on the housing I took off new DDC pump and see what I can do with it.

So, feedback please on this pic!!!
IMG_2698.JPG
What is up with the discolored tubing?!?!

Some may remember that little adapter from:

IMG_1977.JPG

I had hooked up to a flow meter and also wanted to be able to see flow.
I never got around to seeing what kind of signal I got off the meter, get back to that soon enough...

I am planning on using clear tubing on the returns when I plumb up for the garage and bucket?!?

Here is what the inside of a radiator looks like. Neat!

IMG_2704.JPG

The new manifold, all clean and shiny!!!

IMG_2708.JPG

And up and running. Now where is that bucket???

IMG_2713.JPG

Hasta la Próxima

Back