• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"TheBianch" - Reader's Digest Bench Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What type of tubing is that clear section. The discoloration reminds me of plasticsizer( I may have butchered that spelling).

Lochekey said:
...The discoloration reminds me of plasticsizer( I may have butchered that spelling)

Doesn't matter if its spelled right, still don't know what you are referring to:shrug:

If you notice in the pic with the flow-meter its clear. It's Koolance tubing.
http://koolance.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=94_96

I have been using the EK coolant...
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-ekoolant-evo-clear-premix-1l

I have never added anything to it, and it usually isn't too long before I am draining it for some mod...
I was tossing it, but recently have been reclaiming/re-using. This happened before that!?!?

I am also maybe seeing some cloudiness in Father Time, but attribute it to latency from not running very much???!!!
Hopefully clear up with a little use? It uses Koolance coolant.

I'm glad you chimed in Lochekey:thup:
Cause I would like to officially solicit advice/recipes for sub-zero coolant.
Last we spoke, you mentioned using Windshield washer fluid, which seems a great idea, but kinda stinky??
I know Blaylock has some secret recipes!

Also, if your system is going to be closed for awhile, should I add something?
The commercial stuff tells you not to? I don't really plan on buying more $10/750ml coolant though!
I believe I have already "voided" their warranty anyway:cool:

Any additional "Garage" time advice is appreciated here as well!
I'll obviously have questions as I go. The next few post will cover the prep for garage time.

Eskerrik Asko!

Plasticizer(i looked the spelling up) is a substance added to plastic to help make it flexible. It was found that in some tubing when used for watercooling loops, the plasticizer would leach out and would form a white dusting on the inside of the tubing and components causing the tubing to appear cloudy.

As for the coolant, I have tried a few different mixtures.

I have tried different types of auto antifreeze at different concentrations. The advantages for this are it will not attack the rubber in the system and it is not flammable. I found my system had a hard time pumping this as it got thick at -30 and the heat capacity of the fluid is pretty poor as well.

I tried to use Isopropyl alcohol but I quickly developed problems with o-rings and the 50-50 mix I was running had a flash point of 65 degrees f. It also was only good down to about -5f. This stayed pretty easy to pump throughout and maintained a decent heat capacity.

I have tried methanol in 2 different ways. Windshield washer fluid and mixing it myself. Mixing it myself allowed for better control over the temperature range and I typically ran a 40-60 mix which was good down to about -40f. The downside to this was if I screwed up my mixture and got to a 50-50 mix or over, the mixture was once again flammable at room temperature, about 70-75 degrees f. This is what lead me to use the premade washer fluid as it is good down to about -35 and a flash point up around 100 degrees. In either case I did not see the methanol attack the rubber like the isopropyl did, the methanol at concentrations over 50% will start to attack certain plastics and rubbers though so beat this in mind. The methanol also stayed thin throughout the temperature range and I could not see a difference in the system heat capacity as compared to straight distilled.

So after that rambling let me break it down by some categories.

Safety (rank safest to hazardous based on flash point)

Auto antifreeze
Washer fluid
Homemade methanol mixture
50% isopropyl alcohol

Viscosity

This was pretty much a wash between the pair of methanol mixture and the isopropyl. The Auto antifreeze was the only one that showed noticeable thickening at sib zero temps that had a distinguishable impact on the flow rate.

Heat capacity (best to worse)

Methanol mixtures
Isopropyl alcohol
Auto antifreeze.

Please note these charts and temperatures are based on my testing and equipment so they are not exact. For the heat capacity I am basing this off of the temperature delta of the water to ambient so this will be skewed due to the lower flow rate of the auto antifreeze as compared to just using the specific heat capacities of the individual solutions.

+1 Great write up Loche.

I don't have any secrets. I just use standard 50/50 Prestone of the self from the local dept store for a few bucks a gallon. It does get a little thick as the temps get super cold but I'm hoping to get some experimenting in this winter. I will naturally share the results. I have some, errr, unorthodox ideas brewing in my head and want to see if they may help or completely destroy my loop. :shrug:

EDIT: I still need to pick up another CPU block and BIG rad for outside if anyone has any extras laying around for a small fee.

Rad-ical Retro-fit- integrating external cooling source, e.g Bucket

So I didn't even get one ding dang dilly "Neat-O!" on my "Show off your hardware..." post:cry:

Tough crowd, I guess a newly released Asus ROG Maximus VII full mobo cooling kit just doesn't cut it, or isn't officially "hardware":shrug:
As far as I know, I am the only person that has one!!!
Guess I'll move over to "What did you get today..." thread:cool:

Anyway, I was just gonna do the work and show the results...
But that would be against the Hack Oath and ByLaws!!!
I am obliged to show the process, or face punishment from the Hack Guild...

So here are the buckets I got (Home Depot- You have to order the translucent one on-line!?!?).

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2757.JPG

One 5 gal. and the short 3.5 gal. It takes the same lids.
And I picked up one of those "" screw on lids, (also Home Depot).
As the pictures indicate, I plan to use the shorty for a closed loop set-up
and the big bucket and MonstaPump for open loop extremeness!!!

The rest of this is pretty self explanatory...
All I can say is I feel pretty darn farcking pleased with myself!
Sometimes genius is bred from insanity, even for a dumb sod of a Irish/Swede like myself...

**NOTE***-This same type of set-up will go into Father Time- once I get the issues worked out here

IMG_2735.JPG

IMG_2733.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2744.JPG

IMG_2727.JPG

IMG_2747.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG

Waiting on some extensions to make a solid connection from the lower 360 and the pump.
The visible open port on upper 360 should be closed, unless I want to engineer a complete by-pass, which I don't.
The open loop system with big bucket will go directly to blocks.

IMG_2754.JPG

Oh and the mobo kit?!?
Well here is this, if I feel like it I'll show you the rest:rain:

IMG_2762.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2768.JPG

Hasta la Próxima, tal vez

Meh. Nothing special Swart. Didn't even bugger up my internet. Slowed Youtube to a crawl though but that just might be the usual traffic on the dish.

Ha! As if I'd be that rude!
That is a nice looking mobo Swart, and i love those chrome fittings! :thup:
You putting some LED strips on the frame by the pump?

If you get much more hardware hanging off of that rad you are gonna have to fabricate some shiny support brackets:D

The red sections of that mobo pcb made me duo a double take.

SP said:
That is a nice looking mobo Swart, and i love those chrome fittings! :thup:
You putting some LED strips on the frame by the pump?

eh, Thanks eh!
Some of the chrome may go black, as I was using leftovers from Father Time.

Did you ever check out the final PSU cables there, and it is shiny!
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...List-project?p=7968866&viewfull=1#post7968866

Lochekey said:
If you get much more hardware hanging off of that rad you are gonna have to fabricate some shiny support brackets:D
The red sections of that mobo pcb made me duo a double take.

Actually once its together its all pretty self supportive, especially if I can work in the extensions I am waiting on.
..a double take? cause its soo sexy?

caddi daddi said:
quick disconnects AND valves?
Yeah, think about it. I've always wanted a three way G 1/4 valve, but they don't seem to make them because everybody thinks this type of stuff "messes up your flow"
Well you can build a three-way valve using two valves and 360 adapter, but it is bulky for the purpose.
Here, I intend to plug in an external cooling source. When the QD is not connected its "Off" when its connected, its "On"
So in effect using the QD as a valve. Brilliant! Isn't it.
I almost knocked myself over patting myself on the back!

Stay tuned for next post! It will all make sense.
SP crank the handle on that router!

Salud

He has of those already, (What Canadians don't?)
but it's run by one of these:

15PorcupineMontStHilaire.JPG

Salud

lol you guys ought to see the beaver powered setup i have.
Keeping those buggers fed takes a lot of loonies and toonies eh? :D

So its been a bit longer than I anticipated since my last post...
I, err, uh, uhmm .... have had a number of challenges, to say the least:-/
Most of them created by myself of course, and our friend HackRichard!!!

I feel inclined to share the whole, sordid experience. Read on or the chromosomally challenged can just look at the pictures...

The problems arose when after a really nice, and unexpected run with my XFX R7 360...

http://url.hwbot.org/2f3hHeR

I got a PM from Johan45...
Johan45 said:
A couple of your subs with the 360 have been reported. Have you flashed that card to open up the shaders? That's the gripe anyway

My response was along the lines of:
Huzah Whaaa?!?! Hardy bwah har har..
I guess it wouldn't be so funny if I knew what you where talking about...
Or is it funny because I don't?!....

So anyway, if inclined, you can ascertain the identify of the whiny puke goober who complained (and not even comp subs!)...
What is SwartHack's inclination, after this incident???? To really take it to this guy, of course!!!
At the time The Bianch was down for its current upgrades, (and still is :()...
I knew I had lots of room left with the card, but wanted even more... I was insane with OC greed!!!

I had been looking into a full cover unit for my R9 390x, and it was currently running the EK Thermoshphere VGA Uni block.

IMG_2807.JPG

WAIT!!! Get the full cover for the 390x and put the Thermosphere on the 360. Farcking Brilliant, right!!!???

After two RMA's on the 390x cover (I kept ordering these EK MSI non-reference units????)
The issue again being the Radeon 300 series vrs. the 200 series.
I had done a bunch-o-research on what would/should work, but obviously HackRichard took over the ordering!!!
EK used to make a reference unit for the 290x, which was stated to work with my XFX reference 390x.
I kept think I was ordering that, but kept getting these EK MSI units?! Needless to say I have a hearty store credit now at PPC, hardy har...

The it took a moment of clarity to check the compatibility list for the Termosphere, and of course the R7 360 IS NOT on the list!!!
A quick visual check would have told any HackRichard that!!!
But the EK VGA Supremacy, appears it does support the XFX R7 360. Overnight that biatch now!!!

So where do we end up as far as the gCards go?!

IMG_2887.JPG

That water cool unit weighs like 5 pounds or something.
It's a BEAST. I thought my XFX backplate would work, NOT!!! (on order)
The Supremacy uni is just like a little CPU block, it was going to be awesome, especially with the heat-sinks on the exposed chips.

Well...

IMG_2892.JPG

Hardy farcking har, AAAARRRRGGGGGH!!!!
So yeah, EK web site compatibility checker..

ekconfig.jpg

The first one is mine, I thought. I checked the part number on the box...
Yep, mine is R7-360B-CD, of course. HackRichard has to stop doing the ordering!!!

I kept the Supremacy, and still have plans to water cool the R7 360, for now I am putting the stock fans back on and will still kick arse...
As mentioned, get the back-plate for the WaterCool block this week...

Where does that leave us? Where were we? Oh yeah, the Bitspower ROG full mobo cooling rig...

So the install was pretty basic and went pretty smooth.
I like this set-up over a mono-block cause you can change out the CPU easily, as the top cover is top mounted.
And its freaking cool, but I can't rate the performance yet.

One thing I will comment on is the top-cover install.
The instructions indicate caution when tighting down the bolts to avoid "cracking" the cover.

I would not use the bolts as a leverage mechanism to properly seat the cover on the ports.
The holes do not line up exactly!!!

Yeah, its NOT like you set it on top and all the holes kinda "click" into their port top positions.
I finagled and messed with it for some time, switching ports fittings around, etc.
With the exact right angle and pressure I finally got that "click" and felt everything seat up.
I then applied gentle even pressure and slowly got it fully seated and sealed.
At that point the bolts where just secondary to keep it in place.

I would call this a manufacturing defect in the milling process, even though probably just 100ths of a mm, it was a real pain to get top on.
I assume on subsequent change overs it should become easier.
If it becomes a problem, I'll just eliminate it and use some fitting for the cross-over connections.

IMG_2770.JPG

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2778.JPG

IMG_2780.JPG

It is supposed to have an LED and plug-in???!!!
Gotta ask about that....

IMG_2784.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2798.JPG

Oh yeah, and the bucket, which is the one thing that turned out awesome without major obstacles.
I have high hopes for this, and with my penchant for naming things, one came to mind, but probably not suitable for this family friendly site...:shock:
I hope a worthy alternative presents itself...
I gave up on the idea of also submerging the radiator.
This set-up should deliver, and why bother when I got the other bucket with the big daddy garden pump.

Picked up this super dense plastic, 2" from scraps at the local industrial supply joint.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-molecular-weight_polyethylene
Going to make a perfect circle with my JigSaw..

IMG_2817.JPG

"JigSaw don't cut it!"
Had to break out the Skill Saw.
Think I discovered a new geometric shape, "The Hackadedron"

IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2822.JPG

Cold prep the fans..

IMG_2826.JPG

IMG_2828.JPG

IMG_2834.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

So you can see where I can just jack the bucket into the set-up and by-pass the predator.

I also got all the fitting I needed to finish my plumbing. Pretty freaking NEAT! Huh?

IMG_2895.JPG

Here is a different technique getting the air bubbles out...

IMG_2903.JPG

Ready to go, right. Ran the set-up for a few hours.
Ended up disconnecting the Preadtor's pump as it was overheating. The pull from the AquaCool is just too much for it, and it is not needed anyway...
So the predator is now just basically a rad/res with a PWM hub mounted on it...

So get all rigged up to fire up the show, right? Well here is where I am now:

So yeah, all the lights turn on but the power button, or any other button, does nothing.
Hope its something that just got wet:shrug:
Its running under the two 140s that replaced the 120 and the 140 slim.
Not a fan of the Blue LED, but the only 140 fans I have laying around.
Gonna let it be for awhile, but if it has the same problem, what could I possibly have done? Cross your fingers...

Suerte

Bitspower AIZ97M7HR Full-Covered-Block Asus M7 Hero/Ranger - shorts out mobo!!!!

https://www.performance-pcs.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=AIZ97M7HR+

So I guess nobody lost any sleep or shed any tears over my problems:confused:
I bet interlopers appreciate the information, especially this type of stuff:clap:

The PCH block/sink shorts out the PCH and the mobo WILL NOT POST.
All the lights come on, but pushing the button does nothing!!!???

IMG_2905.JPG

IMG_2908.JPG

The problem being this superfluous block post and where it contacts the board.
I guess its maybe for the Ranger, but the no note of it in the docs!!!!
Simply remove/unscrew the post and everything works fine!!!

So yeah, everything worked out. Thanks for asking:rolleyes:

Here is my first shot across the bow, was not happy with third place.
http://hwbot.org/submission/3368623_swarthack_3dmark05_radeon_r7_360_46107_marks

IMG_2912.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

My sub background-I freaking kill myself....
IMG_2927.JPG

Salud

XFX R9 390X Black w/WaterCool Heatkiller for 290x & R7 360 run for glory!!!

OK, I won't pout, but really!!! I think I have been boycotted or their is some conspiracy against me:shock:
I mean, the last few posts are quality stuff, man!
I know with the time change and winter darkness, and the holidays and all,
And all the Canuck's already have 24 hours darkness, but gosh geez...

Anyway, I stay true to my cause and "Hack Oath"...

You may remember I left off here, with the XFX Radeon R7 360 (which I am not going to water cool BTW)

IMG_2911.JPG

And had some unfinished business. So I spent a little time on a few subs to ensure my R7 360 dominance.

4e9ec759dbfd4f9c9502d58268eb71103b876c1b.png

Now my little trusty R7 360 can take a break as we rolling this new rig now.
This is a reference AMD R7 290x block.
As previously mentioned, went through 2 other purchases before I stumbled on this guy and the info that ensured it worked on any reference 390X.

IMG_2929.JPG

IMG_2932.JPG

This thing is a beast. It weighs like 5 pounds. A serious peice of hardware!!!

And pretty sexy as well. Definitely looking at WaterCool for future needs...
(shameless plug to WaterCool rep-dude for future royalty considerations)

IMG_2934.JPG

IMG_2938.JPG

The "Interchange" plumbed up and running.
It may look like overkill or just plain madness, but everything rotates and nothing binds/jams up. Super adaptable!!!
Just wait till we plug in "The Fouquet"! Yes, It's officially designation/name!! Pronounced like "Bouquet", possibly...

IMG_2957.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG

And all rigged up with the R9 390X Black!

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

And err, looking at another run for glory. First run-through looks promising!
http://hwbot.org/submission/3375752_swarthack_catzilla___1440p_radeon_r9_390x_8559_marks

Also see you in the OverClocktagon to see what an actually ROG rig does on their (ASUS) jacked-up benchmark.

Tot Ziens!!!

LOL that duck!

Sorry swart, been busy lately with work eh?
And then the snow hit (all 3 inches of it!)

Advice for Garage runs???

That's HackDuck!!! There is also ChickenHack!!! (thanks to Lochekey)

You miss the video?

Yeah- winter finally hit here. ~2 feet in the mountains, 3 inches in the yard.

I got 0C/32F in the garage right now. Looking to take the rig out, before I ever try "The Fouquet".
Need to start concentrating on rigging for the cold, but not sure how far I need to go...

I've been perusing the info on extreme cooling, but right now I am not going all that extreme...
I need to review some posts by Lochekey and Blaylock somewhere on "extreme ambient"

But am soliciting advice...

I plan on wrapping all the fittings with that sticky Ace bandage stuff...
Plan on going with one of the cheap-o coolants, possible windshield wiper fluid..
I'm getting a weather station for the garage (Temp/Humidy/etc...)...
Remember it is very dry here. Regardless of the snow, I live in a desert, so hopefully will make a significant difference on dew-points.
Board treatment/prep - I am not really sure what to do here for these temps???

Also post run procedures. Lochekey, you gave me good info once on Hangout, care to recycle here.
I believe you mentioned Blaylock puts his mobo in the dish washer?:shock:

Anyway, what ever advice anyone wants to sling my way, please do!!!

Eskerrik Asko
(That's Thank You, in Basque)

Yeah I've heard of Blaylock "washing" his mobo's. Just make sure they are 1000% dry before use.

Oh and remove the battery too! :D

This thing is a beast. It weighs like 5 pounds. A serious peice of hardware!!!

And pretty sexy as well. Definitely looking at WaterCool for future needs...
(shameless plug to WaterCool rep-dude for future royalty considerations)
I hear you ;) The best I can offer right now is the 10% discount that's still valid for... well, hurry up, it runs out in 2 hours ;) But if you ever feel like you need something, just write a PM, maybe I can arrange something.

Btw, didn't read the entire thread, but: what's with the bucket, man? What is the plan for that? Looking very weird...

Hey Swart sorry I have not been around much lately.

As to insulating the line sets it is really gonna depend on how you chill the water. If you are putting the whole rig outside you will not have to do any insulation on the tubing or fittings as it will not cause condensation.

If you are just going to hang the rad out or are going to use DICE in the bucket you will need to insulate not only the fittings but the tubes as well to avoid condensation. You will also want to insulate around the socket like you would for a SS unit.

As for after the run. I have never had a need to wash the board but I hear the dishwasher does work for that. What I do is just strip the board and components and put them in front of a box fan that is drawing dry air from my heating system. Leave them there for about 24 hours and then check for condensation. Normally one round of this is plenty.

As for fluid I find that the -34 windshield washer fluid works the best for my applications. Two things to more on this though. One when you but the fluid by just straight washer fluid don't get any of the crap that has rain or bug repellent in it. Also the windshield washer fluid seems to be thinner than straight water so if any of your o-rings are iffy you will find out real quick.

Btw, didn't read the entire thread, but: what's with the bucket, man? What is the plan for that? Looking very weird...

He is going to be using a pond pump with the rig either outside or with DICE floating in the coolant to help get temps down too sub-zero temps.
Something like this,

Back