• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"TheBianch" - Reader's Digest Bench Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looking good as usual Swart. Sorry I've been AFK for a while. Hunting season + Holidays = No free time. Sadly the only thing I have to show for it is a turkey gut.

WATERCOOL-Jakob said:
But if you ever feel like you need something, just write a PM, maybe I can arrange something.
Btw, didn't read the entire thread, but: what's with the bucket, man? What is the plan for that? Looking very weird...

"the entire thread" hardy bwah har, I don't think anyone has:p
Not sure if anyone noticed the nice index I have added to the first post for interlopers...
Not in the market right now, but will definitely hit you up!

Ok, I finally dragged this up. I need to remember to link in when I farm out a question.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...servoirs-Techniques-Looking-to-go-sub-ambient

So yeah, Locheky, remember I have two buckets: one for closed loop and one for open loop.

This one, which I have christened, "The Fouquet" is a play off one of Blaylock's "closed-loop" rad-immersion techniques. I am not sure how or if it will work.

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

The plan is to line/fill the bottom of "The Fouquet" with something cold: ice, snow, DICE, etc., and seal it up with the Gamma Seal lid.
And try to run the fans. I hope this to be a nice "inside" sub-zero solution.

The other bucket, rigged with the aqua garden, will run an open-loop set-up, a la your set-up. Indoors as well.
But that is my last most extreme stage as I want to ease into the cold.

So my first deal will be to just run The Bianch in the garage "as is" and see how cold I can get running just the Predator's 360. No buckets.
Sub's as such are still ambient, correct? As I intend to ride the Enthusiast league for awhile.

And HEY, anyone have a recommendation on a temp sensor???
I was on Newark.com with a CyberMonday coupon and got flustered.

Getting close, gonna do this!

Hasta Pronto

Oh, and hey, nobody has killed anything!? Where is my veni:drool::shrug: jerky!!

The Fouquet! LOLOLOL.

So for suggestions with your ice bucket challenge. Look into using ice cubes or, as some people like to do, freeze bottled water or soda bottles and rotate them out with frozen ones once they warm up(ice cubes work best though). If you're going to go all out and try DICE I would highly recommend using glycol or some other form of anti-freeze in your loop. Of course you'll want to prep your board for sub-zero. This is all still just considered water cooled as it is still a water based loop, so not extreme. (a.k.a. chilled loop)

No Ven here. I've been hunting for 30 years and for the first time I was unable to recover a deer I shot. It's very disheartening to say the least. More range time is eminent in my future.

...Of course you'll want to prep your board for sub-zero.

No Ven here. I've been hunting for 30 years and for the first time I was unable to recover a deer I shot. It's very disheartening to say the least. More range time is eminent in my future.

Ok board prep, I've been looking into that, but fail to put all the pieces together.
I've looked at:http://www.overclockers.com/subzero-cooling-insulation-guide/ (A little dated)
and a number of other posts, etc. here and abroad...

But since I am not mounting up a pot, at least for now, what steps do I need to take?
Detailed step-by-step instruction is preferred.:cool:

Hey-Where is that one thread of yours Lochekey, about your prep-job??

Man that blows on the lost game, really blows. Sorry to hear that.:(
I haven't heard from Loch yet, but he shoots 'em off his back porch! hardy bwah har har!!!

Oh, not going anywhere with this set-up right now:-/
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/777608-ASUS-ROG-HERO-VII-Stuck-in-Bios-FlashBack!!!

Oh, and no love on any temp sensors recommends??!!

Cheers!

Last edited:
This is how Funsoul does it. I do it very similarly too.
I'll look and see if I can find some more, but there's a crap ton of threads and posts if you do the search.

Yeah, I saw that! I thought you were the original Vince of the shamwow mobo!!??
I'm definately going that set-up..

I guess to ask a particular question, is recommends for the water proofing:

-Regardless of product, do you have to clean the board every time?
-The spray-on stuff, especially this clear acrylic lacquer approach I have seen, seems pretty permanent?
-Are there permanent (well at least semi-permanent) coatings?

FS says "dragon skin", that same company sells all kinds 'o stuff? I have inquired which dragon skin product...
Anyway, got a few to think about it, don't think I am running this Hero VII rig right now anyway...:(

Thanks for feedback, much appreciated...

Still looking for a lead on a temp sensor... anyone

Cheers

Yeah, I saw that! I thought you were the original Vince of the shamwow mobo!!?? LOL I doubt I'm the first to use it. I did come up with the idea on my own, but I'm sure others did before me too. It's just a great absorbing product with the added feature of insulating too.
I'm definately going that set-up..

I guess to ask a particular question, is recommends for the water proofing:

-Regardless of product, do you have to clean the board every time? Absolutely not. My AM2 set-up is for benching only and its stays prepped.
-The spray-on stuff, especially this clear acrylic lacquer approach I have seen, seems pretty permanent? It is
-Are there permanent (well at least semi-permanent) coatings? I would consider LET (Liquid Electrical Tape) Semi-Permanent in that it will stay there as long as you want but can easily be removed.

FS says "dragon skin", that same company sells all kinds 'o stuff? I have inquired which dragon skin product...
Anyway, got a few to think about it, don't think I am running this Hero VII rig right now anyway...:( I haven't tried it yet. Sadly it's been nearly a year since my last serious benching session. I really need to get back into it.

Thanks for feedback, much appreciated...

Still looking for a lead on a temp sensor... anyone I don't use a temp sensor in my loop which is why I haven't replied. IIRC This is the meter I use for DICE/LN2 Pot.

Cheers

Sweet Blaylock, that's the go-to feedback I needed.
And yeah, that's what I meant, that gizmo, just didn't know what to call it.

Salud

Keep in mind Swart that if you are doing this in your garage and relying on the ambient cold air to chill the lo you will not have to do any prep as you will not have condensation. That is why you always saw my whole rig outside.

As Blaylock said the LET works pretty well and comes of pretty easy. Check out the thread here for my first attempt at application.

Also......

HDDs don't like extreme cold. I haven't had an issue but just keep it in mind if you have issues.

Change of plans...

OK, so my Asus Rog Maximus VII Hero is down and out, as in out the door!
Get in on the action:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/777608-ASUS-ROG-HERO-VII-Stuck-in-Bios-FlashBack!!!

Coming off the on-deck circle is "The Fugly Duck" set-up, and I have plans...

Lochekey said:
As Blaylock said the LET works pretty well and comes of pretty easy. Check out the thread here for my first attempt at application.
Thanks for that, I was asking about that thread a few posts ago:clap:I couldn't find it, duur! Need to review it...

So yeah LET, gonna try it out, at least experiment, but the whole process of "comes off pretty easy" and " removing" sounds horrid!
So...

What, if any, are the drawbacks to more permanent approaches???
Does this affect the mobo's components in that you can only run cold?
or can you run a treated board at normal ~20C ambient temps?

Here is my impromptu HomeDepot run. Going to a Grainger store on Monday.

IMG_2973.JPG

Funny story, I'll keep it short: I am in the Paint area looking around and I ask an apron if they have LET.
A guy nearby, eyed me with a nod and states that it works great. He was a total D&D burnout with soldering scars and deep dark baggy eyes. The result of decades of late night geek sessions. I wondered how he knew? So anyway, older school dude and he was all like, "Your could use this, and this, oh and the liquid rubber and on and on..."
It was pretty awesome. We talked about the possibility of dipping a board in liquid rubber and so on. I got out of there with this.

So going to take the Sabertooth 990FX and prep it for sub-zero. Stay tuned!!!

Cheers!

Thanks for all the feedback! Any love on this question though??

What, if any, are the drawbacks to more permanent approaches???
Does this affect the mobo's components in that you can only run cold?
or can you run a treated board at normal ~20C ambient temps?

Thanks!

Cheers!

So long as you have adequate airflow I would assume it wouldn't be an issue. The only boards I have conformaled are benching boards so i can't speak for 24/7 boards, sorry.

Re-Introducing Buck ROGers!!!

OK, here we go!!! Big step for ole SwartHack!!!

Thanks to all from:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/777608-ASUS-ROG-HERO-VII-Stuck-in-Bios-FlashBack

So prepping here for cold. This board has been anointed the "Buck ROGers" set-up.

I have been going through:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/773726-Help-prepping-for-first-time-on-LN2/page2

Looking for some feedback on my plans to go permanent treatment with something like:

IMG_2973.JPG

Actually, the glaze and enamel. Was thinking of treating some areas with the LET before sealing up.
Here is my board all taped up. My actual plan was to treat the whole thing top and bottom...
Then build a gasket from neoprene and high-density foam...

IMG_3176.JPG

IMG_3183.JPG

IMG_3185.JPG
IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

So, yeah, gonna cover up the VRM's and PCH chip.

Am I missing anything else???

This is the infamous "Reset BIOS button". Should I treat those exposed contacts, to avoid inadvertent reset from condensation??

IMG_3194.JPG

This set-up will a THE pot AND running with DICE in the Fouquet.
Oh yeah, speaking of which, Shazam!!!

IMG_3197.JPG
Thanks for the recommend Blaylock!

IMG_3047.JPG

Eskerrik Asko!!!

Looking good Mr. Hack!

For that reset button I would tape up the button but not the exposed leads. This way they get a good coat of clear enamel on them. Another idea would be to melt some hot glue in there after the clear just to fill in the gaps. No air no moisture.

If you plan on using both the glaze and the clear enamel I would seriously consider trying it out on a test board first and make sure there is not a negative chemical reaction between the two. I know you can use LET over clear lacquer because that's what's on my AM2 board but not sure about the other combo. Just a suggestion.

As an intelligent man I'm sure you know this but thought it worth mentioning, once you coat this board the chance for a successful RMA is essentially zero. I hope you tested it out before hand just to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Exciting times these are!!!

Looking good Mr. Hack!

For that reset button I would tape up the button but not the exposed leads. This way they get a good coat of clear enamel on them. Another idea would be to melt some hot glue in there after the clear just to fill in the gaps. No air no moisture. Yeah, cool. I was thinking they needed covering.I need a hot glue gun anyway...

If you plan on using both the glaze and the clear enamel I would seriously consider trying it out on a test board first and make sure there is not a negative chemical reaction between the two. I know you can use LET over clear lacquer because that's what's on my AM2 board but not sure about the other combo. Just a suggestion.-board"hmm, yeah good idea. No "test" board available unless you mean "card-board", har... I was planning on using the LET "under" the coating..?

As an intelligent man I'm sure you know this but thought it worth mentioning, once you coat this board the chance for a successful RMA is essentially zero. I hope you tested it out before hand just to make sure everything is on the up and up. This board will live until it dies a glorious sparky death! Yeah. It posted up just fine. That's as far as I went... If some remember, this is my 3rd board. The first one went all sparky on me and it was a 30 day return to vendor...

Exciting times these are!!!

So yeah, gotta step back and RTFM on those EK mounting rigs, all kinda parts'n****. This pot is "Beautiful", pics forthcoming...

And yeah, gonna take The Bianch and The Fugly Duck set-up to the garage tomorrow. Shake up the oclocktagon, 4F here this morning....

Whoot!

Hmmm interesting approach Swart. I've never heard of anyone spraying the whole board like this!

I would worry about covering the vrms and pch. I would take the top off at least before coating everything.

Cold set-up for Asus ROG Maximus VII - Buck ROGers

SP said:
Hmmm interesting approach Swart.
What else would you have expected from the SwartHack...:cool:

Lochekey said:
I would worry about covering the vrms and pch. I would take the top off at least before coating everything.
See updated pics, "Take the top off" ????:-/ top of what off of what???

So updated pics before I begin "The Process", for which I will have to descend into the WorkDungeon.
Rare pics from the WorkDungeon will document "The Process".

What about those two units (chokes??)by the power-switches. (yellow arrow)
Just like the ones in the cpu VRM! What should I do with them, should I tape them?

IMG_3192.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

So here is a quick look at the pot and mounting bracket set-up I got.
Been hiding it on the shelf for a bit. Had a bit of credit at PPC and went for it on Cyber Monday.
Sadly only got %15, but hey...

It appears this set-up is going to allow me to circumvent a lot of the hassle going cold.

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_3197.JPG

So where does this heater go??!! That came with the pot? Doesn't say anything about it in the docs??
Appears it goes around lower/metalic area of the pot, but gotta contact EKWB to be sure..

IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

So hoping to get the HazMat suit on and start spraying soon, but would appreciate any final words...

Eskerrik Asko

Back