• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"TheBianch" - Reader's Digest Bench Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SwartHack

Babysitter for OCF Lounge Day Care, Still a bad-as
"TheBianch" - Reader's Digest Bench Project (Index)

Edit: 11/03/2016

As this project grows and continues I have decided to add an index.

1 - High Speed Tech Deck Overview, Installing a EK Predator 240 AOI (This post, see below)

2 - Upgrade to Predator 360 overview, Prepping GA Z170X G7 with mono-block for benching

3 - Adding the EVGA 980 TI HydroCopper, QDCs and Fired Up

4 - Modding XFX R9 390x with EK Thermosphere block

5 - Introducing, "The Fugly Duck" set-up: Asus Sabertooth 990FX/FX 9370 Black

6 - Breaking down for changes and preparing for the cold

7 - Different set-ups for the cold pondered

8 - Demise of the Predator 360?

9 - Radiators for ambient cold

10 -Predator 360 re-build and adding a second pump. Who is HackRichard?

11 - Lochekey talks coolant for "Country Bumpkins and Hill Billies"

12 - Integrating a bucket?!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, my oh my! Another Project Log!

But, "Why Mr. Hack, why another project log that nobody will see, let alone read?! Why? We don't understand!?", you lament...

Siigghhhhhh, pheeeeewwwwww (Deep Breaths, while I center my Kundilini...)...

Please understand, although I covet recognition, fame and the glory that comes with absolute power,
I do not not perform these activities to attain them. I do this all for posterity's sake...

And also when everyone and their Auntie's dog was telling me to get a bench I wish I had something similar to review.
And get this straight now! This is a "Tech Station", not a bench.

Actually, this rig is now and will be forever known as...

"TheBianch"

And to give a shout out to [email protected]
Give him a shout and mention overclockers.com, and of course you will have to drop my name;)
You should get a discount, unless you are a total bozo!
He hooked up Acce55 with one that he is taking around the world with him.

Quick review - Great bench, but what do I know its my first. Key points-
-Really simple
-really light
-really sturdy
-really easy to put together and break down.
-easy to mod. The polymer shelves are supper beefy and dense. They drill like butter, and thread like a dream. And hold the thread after numerous removals.
-and, oh yeah. Very reasonable price. These are inexpensive, not cheap. And the support is awesome

SO here is the quick breakdown and genesis of "TheBianch" - see sig for current configs.

bench.jpg
So like a doof I inadvertently ordered a half-deck,
although as you can see it is servicable.
HighSpeed hooked me up with the full-deck add-on for a minimal cost.

So wanted to get the rig set-up, even though I had a new AIO on order.
I hackineered these brackets for the Corsair H80iGT I took out of BruceLee.
Ended up working great as they flexed to compensate for the ultra-stiff tubing on the H80iGT.
IMG_0891.JPG
IMG_0894.JPG
IMG_0900.JPG
IMG_0909.JPG
IMG_0917.JPG

Ahh the techdeck add-on and the Predator arrive. This Predator is awesome, also hybrid AIO as it is expandable.
I also saw these brackets and decided to get them for the new mount job. What caught my attention were the slots.
I cut out the end of the slots, and positioned the necesary screws, underneath so the whole rig just slides on and off.
I thought this was a pretty decent act of hackineering. Very pleased with myself..
IMG_1021 (2).JPG
brackets.JPG

Switched out stock fan for slimline 140 as well
IMG_1026.JPG

It came with two pull fans, I threw on a couple of push fans I had laying around.
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1035.JPG

So haven't stretched this new rig's legs much yet.
I did easily improve my best XTU score with the same chip from BruceLee on this new Asus mobo.
http://hwbot.org/submission/2993910_swarthack_xtu_core_i7_4790k_1205_marks

Anyway, enjoy. I will update as any changes are are made. Pretty content for now.
Comments/Questions/Insults?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Put a EKWB Predator 360 On It!!!

OK bianches! This is the first post worthy update to TheBianch...

And its a BIG ONE!!!
'that's what she said'

I had hoped to put everything into one post, but am temporarily sidelined by parts, or lack there of.
More on this anon....

First,(for those who can read):
Quick review notes on the Predator:

If you examine the previous posts on this thread you will see I am upgrading from a Predator 240.
I put the 240 in the classifieds and pre-ordered the 360, to find out the original v1.0 Predators had been recalled.
So I packed it up and sent back for a full refund. SO worked out nicely.

The Predator comes with only pull fans.
On the 240 I threw on a few circ fans I had. This time I ordered 3 additional Vardar rad fans.
Don't expect any special hardware with these fans that work on the Predator. You get the standard 4 shorty/course fan screws.
There are probably some rad screws/bolts at ekwb.com, but I never looked.

The radiator fan mounts are M3.
The stock bolts on the factory installed fans are these little shorty (6mm) allen head bolts.
I had to scrounge a bit to round up the required 12 shorty M3s...
through my organized sorted hardware....through all the unused Ikea hardware stash in the garage...
and finally the rusty coffee can to find everything I needed.
My challenge was not too long, but long enough to specifically accommodate the 4 bracket mount points.

The Predator DOES NOT HAVE screw stops on the rad fins
to keep you from quickly totally hosing your rig.
There is generous clearance from the Fan mount housing to the actual fins (~10mm)
So you'd have to be a total hack to do that, but be careful dry-fitting and such.

The Built in PWM hub
which worked great on the 240, as one plug was free.
I simply added the two additional fans with a splitter.
The 360 has no free pwm plug, so the options are either:
A.pull the factory fans and run three splitters
B. Use two splitters to link the three additional fans and run it directly off my CPU_OPT, which I will pair with CPU_FAN in the bios.
I choose B.

Other than that, thing went pretty smooth, mostly....

Behold.......

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1504.JPG

The first challenge was coming up with a mounting approach.
I did not want to top mount this one like the 240.
I pondered and pondered and came up with this.

ATTENTION ALL ROOKIE AND NOVICE BUILDERS
The following is VERY IMPORTANT!!
Please pay careful attention to the measuring specifics of mounting these brackets.

First measure, measure then measure again.
Exact position and placement of the brackets is of paramount importance.
You only have millimeters of tolerance when mounting the fans to the bracket.
So after careful measuring and care, before mounting the second bracket:

IMG_1513.JPG

put the bracket in the correct position..
and drill a new hole in the right spot!:rofl:

IMG_1515.JPG

On the brackets, went for a through hole mount, completely bomb proof!
During my scrounge, ran across these super dense rubber pads.
I already had some rubber sheet I was going to cut some shocks from, but these seemed interesting.
They are fitting pads for a bike helmet.
Also put some rubber bushing type washers on the bottom.

IMG_1519.JPG
IMG_1522.JPG
IMG_1523.JPG

Now lets break down the Predator:
The 360 comes with a QDC, its plastic, but seems worthy.

IMG_1509.JPG

The PWM Hub
IMG_1506.JPG

Mount up the rig on the brackets
(Only 4 mount points)

IMG_1526.JPG
IMG_1528.JPG

Actually sits off the bottom deck, suspended by the brackets!!!
IMG_1529.JPG

6 grills, 24 fan screws later, with the SwartHack flair, of course...
IMG_1538.JPG
IMG_1545.JPG

Here is a look at using 2 splitters for 3 fans.
IMG_1552.JPG

So I did the basic connections and set-up for the G7 monoblock for now.
The factory tubing was a little short. I bought a grip of the EKWB rubber hose.
And re-did with a little longer pieces.

IMG_1553.JPG
IMG_1554.JPG

I have two pair of these QDC3's intended for XmasList.
I was going to use them to do the GPU cooler add on, but alas...
They are QDC3s with 13/16 mm ID/OD. The EKWB tubing is 10/16mm.

IMG_1556.JPG

So ordered up a few new QDC's to finalize the expansion.
Which I will set up for a 980ti hydro copper to run through while the G7 is on TheBianch
For later, I picked up an EKWB Thermosphere GPU plate.
I need on additional bracket for R9 series I believe, but the two I have cover GTX series and other AMD.

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

So tune in next time for details on the expansion.

Alvedersen

Expand Predator 360, Fill, Fired up!!!

OK Campers! We pick right up where we left off and things are getting really interesting.
Hold on tight...

The following outlines:
-expanding the 360 with worthy QDC's
-few more observations/issues with predator
-wire up the additional rad fans to cpu_opt
-install memory and M.2 ssd
-prime, fill and test
-fire it up/OS install

Ok, ready.....

So got the QDC's, and ready to go
IMG_1638.JPG

86 those plastic one
IMG_1642.JPG

Measure, Cut and Fittings
IMG_1645.JPG

BOOM!
IMG_1654.JPG

I had to put an extra coupler Kolance fitting on the pump out. The EKB fittings G1/4 threads just aren't that course, and kinda stubby. Also I was disappointed the housing and threads for in and out are plastic. The EKB fitting just did not grab/bite. It started to strip the outer threads, so I grabbed this coupler from my grab-box and it works great. I am going to put another on the in next time I break down.

IMG_1646.JPG

Got the three added fans wired up with the splitters.
Thank goodness I had a 4-pin fan extension,

IMG_1665.JPG

Fill 'er up.
I havn't really done this before, but I figured I would:

Prime the waterblock and gCard.

IMG_1650.JPG
IMG_1653.JPG

Then to the top. About four top-offs after running the pump and some shaking to get the frying bacon out of the pump.
Ran it all night and its whisper quite.
I need to put a flow meter on.

IMG_1657.JPG

Then bling Memory and blang M.2 SSD
IMG_1668.JPG
IMG_1676.JPG

Plug it in man!
IMG_1682.JPG

Shazam!!!

FatherTimedt.JPG

Please tune into:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/763038-Codename-XmasList-project
for an upcoming very monumental post!!

Prost

Hey swart that is coming together nicely. Can't wait to see what you can do with it.

Its Bianching!

OK - members, guests, interlopers, friends, campers, colleagues, nosy neighbors, Mr. Rogers even...

This is a fun little exercise I thought to share, as I had not yet modded a gCard.

Basically I needed to get the 980 ti off The Bianch, so I can get the Z170x-g7 mb off as well, but still able to participate in the current NN 8#.
I also ran the R9 390X with the stock air and it ran pretty hot, so I decided to make the switch to the Universal EK-Thermosphere.
So now I can bench just about any gCard with water, but...

@TuKr once admonished universal gpu blocks for a number of pontificated issues/dislikes. At the time I had no clue what he was talking about, But I rarely ever do, anyway...
Its obvious that the VRAM is not getting any direct air anymore. I show two VRM temp sensors, One runs ~26 C idle, the other runs around 36 C.
I may mount another fan on the top-side to provide some direct current, as this will probably be a problem with most cards...

So if we remember we left off at:
IMG_1654.JPG

And this is what I got to deal with..
IMG_1883.JPG

I got the EK Thermosphere and three different plates. I can fit just about any gCard.
IMG_1889.JPG

came apart surprisingly easy, just four screws. I thought the GPU would be bigger...
IMG_1886.JPG

Replace stock screws with beefier M3 bolts and plastic washers. Feels bomber...
IMG_1892.JPG
IMG_1897.JPG

And here we are with the R9 390X hooked up.

IMG_1899.JPG

I am not a fan of the 180 bend for the block input. That side is the recommended inlet side.
I may need to incorporate a fitting and/or longer tubage...

That was a hoot!

Not sure how I missed subbing this thread but I'm subbed now. Looking awesome Swart. I'm jealous of those quick connects. I'll need to do something this summer for my set-up.

Nice work Swart! How are the VRM temps on that 390X? I've been mulling over the idea of adding a GPU block to my 390. Unsure if I want a full cover or just the GPU core block.

Nebulous said:
How are the VRM temps on that 390X?...Unsure if I want a full cover or just the GPU core block.

for those who can't read, but really like the pictures..
@TuKr once admonished universal gpu blocks for a number of pontificated issues/dislikes. At the time I had no clue what he was talking about, But I rarely ever do, anyway...
Its obvious that the VRAM is not getting any direct air anymore. I show two VRM temp sensors, One runs ~26 C idle, the other runs around 36 C.
I may mount another fan on the top-side to provide some direct current, as this will probably be a problem with most cards...

If you want a block specifically for the 390x, go for a full cover.

EarthDog said:
That tubing looks like garden hose!!!...Nice build!
Thanks-Yeah, I really like the EKB tubing. Really flexible and really easy to work with.
IYI-This set-up on The Bianch is the intended hardware for FatherTime, (previous codename XmasList)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/763038-Codename-XmasList-project

Along with an additional 980 ti hydro copper.
I hope to finally get back to that proj as I intend to unveil the dual gCards in the current and my final NN9, GPUPI 1B stage.
If we can't get a third and win this farcker I will throw a wobbler, tired of 4 place!
hopefully, Right now the rules do not specify. Will clarify with lochekey...

Stayed tuned...

Tot Ziens

So, the plans of the dual 980ti's was spoiled by the rule makers at HwBot. Single cards only, which is understandable.

Here is a quick update. Those following know that for some time The Bianch has been home to the hardware for Father Time (see sig).
As long as I keep the hardware on The Bianch, I will never work on Father Time!
So for the moment I have pulled the 980ti and am going to run the R9 380x for another pass at NN9 staqe4 - 3DMark Vantage (AMD).

Here is a quick mod I made to address the problem with exposed VRM when using the EKB Thermoshpere universal GPU waterblock.
See post:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ench-Project?p=7920862&viewfull=1#post7920862

It cant hurt, so I mounted another fan to provide some direct air-flow.
IMG_1913.JPG

Here are a few pics of the final set-up. I know it looks goofy twisty.
I was struggling with finding a better "in-route"on the gpu wb.
You can't go in/out with this unit on the same-side. And the absence of top ports requires an end-a-round.
IMG_1922.JPG
IMG_1924.JPG

This shot really shows the exposed VRM of the gCard when using a Universal block
IMG_1929.JPG
IMG_1933.JPG

In the end, I knew this set-up was temporary, and will be changing soon!
So I didn't hassle over it.

As soon a I get the right top cpu block bracket for this new set-up!

Shazam
IMG_1907.JPG

For the interested, I have posted the benching activity of the hardware for Father Time in its proj log.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...List-project?p=7935193&viewfull=1#post7935193

So stay tuned, looks like I am gonna learn a little AMD. I was tired of not having competitive hardware for the AMD stages.
The White Elephant is cool and all, and serves a purpose when needed, but....

Hasta ls Proxima

Very nice Swart. I wouldn't concern yourself to much with the looks of the tubing. It is a benching rig and function will always supersede form.

As far as those VRM's go that's pretty much the biggest issue I have with universal blocks. The best cooling for those VRM's (to my knowledge) would be some of those mini heatsink that get stuck directly to the VRM. The name is escaping me at the moment, but if you add those along with the fan you added you'll have a great cooling solution.

Blaylock said:
...function will always supersede form.

Yeah, for sure. I was mostly concerned about the length and effect on flow.
I know its minimal, but every inch counts...

When I re-rig it, I am gonna throw on a flow/temp sensor and see if I can Hack a usable signal out of it.
Also gonna put a clear tubing section so you can see whats going on.

Blaylock said:
...some of those mini heatsink that get stuck directly to the VRM...
Yeah, sure, one of those deally thingies, I grab one right away...
Har, no really, I think I know what you are talking about... Nice call!

Eskarik Asko

Idiot's Guide To Benching

Err, huzza peoples n' uh stuff n', yeah stuff...

DoH! ZApZ! shoTz! Sparky!

Ahaaaaayeeeeeeiiiiiiiii Zoltz Zowie Ahaaayeeeoooeeo..o....o...o..o...
BSOD - blinks out....

IMG_1971.JPG
IMG_1980.JPG
IMG_1981.JPG
IMG_1992.JPG
IMG_1977.JPG

'He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.' - Groucho Marx

'Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.' - Homer Simpson

G'day

Yeah buddy! Getting ready for the cold. Say, that pump looks awfully familiar.

Back