• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minecraft server, will it run it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Latly i have been playing Minecraft with one of my friends, we play from a local server running of his laptop, but we want to move it over to a server that we can access all times of the day.

We will be between 2 to 4 players at the max.

I have sourced an old laptop running:
Intel Atom N270 and 1gb ram (I plan to upgrade to 2gb ram)

Would this laptop be able to act as a dedicated server or is it simply too slow? I know people have run servers off NAS units, so I do hope its possible.

I am 100% aware i can google this stuff, but so far it has turned up so many different answers, that i'd rather just ask, and see what people have to say.

What does network throughput have to do with running the server/game? Im not worried about network traffic.

I wasnt talking about network? When i speak traffic, its the max 4 users that will be online. When i speak NAS units, its cos people are running servers off nas units.

For a server to handle 20 people, its recommended and intel CPU with 2 cores and 4gb ram, as minimum. Im only looking to handle 4 people, and view distance of 15 is just fine.

Sorry. I had no idea you could run this off of a NAS.

If that is the case, sounds like you can do it. GO for it... report back with your findings!

It will run terribly, if it runs at all. I host a minecraft server (version 1.8.8), and 4 people play on it. The server constantly skips ticks, because the 1.8.x server has massive performance problems, no matter the hardware thrown at it.
The server hardware is my signature computer.

You might be able to painfully try 1.7.x or before. It might work, badly, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Try it anyway. I want to see if the laptop explodes :p

It will run terribly, if it runs at all. I host a minecraft server (version 1.8.8), and 4 people play on it. The server constantly skips ticks, because the 1.8.x server has massive performance problems, no matter the hardware thrown at it.
The server hardware is my signature computer.

You might be able to painfully try 1.7.x or before. It might work, badly, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Try it anyway. I want to see if the laptop explodes :p

It did not explode, I dont see why your having such issues with the rig your on.

We normally run the server locally from a Lenovo Laptop, nothing special.

We did setup the server yesterday, it did run, but not really. The lack of the second core hits the performance hard, and Java hits errors.

So now, im looking for a dual core setup i can use.

I was joking about the explosion part.

I expected it to not work adequately, and possibly fail to even idle without skipping processing ticks. I used hyperbole for humor's sake :)
Hope you get your sever situation figured out!

Back