• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb here. My CPU runs "hot", please explain what I'm doing wrong. Pic inside.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sgrunger

Newb here. My CPU runs "hot", please explain what I'm doing wrong. Pic inside.

Hi,

So..... built this rig late last year. Spent a pretty penny, I don't mind tellin' ya. Here's the setup, all accessories written on the picture.

FML.jpg

CPU is 5930K, x99 chipset, overclocked to 4.3Ghz @ 1.3V. Runs at around 45-50°C in idle, goes up to 70°C+ when gaming. I've replaced the thermal compound under the CPU block with the one that came stck with the EK block. Fans are Effizio Silenx 120mm on the radiaors, 140mm in the back, 200mm in the front. Voltage regulator on the case lets me choose 3 speeds, I put it in first or second, third is kinda loud with all fans going full blast, but still not getting full cooling.

GPUs run at 40°C in idle, 50°C under load, seems much more reasonable. So, what am I doing wrong guys?

Sorry for being noob.

Attachments

• yRQP8QA.jpg
    yRQP8QA.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 340
The load Temps are perfectly fine, I would have imagined the idle to be a little lower, but that's okay. You may gain a C or two by having the fans on bottom be intake instead of exhaust, pulling in cool air.

Someone else here may make a comment on the fan choice. I believe for 38 and especially 58mm depth radiators you need a ton of static pressure and I'm unsure if you are getting that with your current fans.

I set it up so the fans pull air from the radiators. So I guess flipping the bottom fans to push cool air through the bottom radiator instead of pulling directly to the floor might help?
For the fans I was hoping for the quietest fans possible, they're advertised at 1400RPM, 70 CFM at 15dB. I'd love to hear some opinion on that matter as well. Thanks Janus!

For the load temps, I figured it wouldn't go so high, seems I was mistaken. OK! I wouldn't mind replacing fans though, what do you guys recommend?

So... you have 875W to cool with 5x120 worth of rad with one of them being a thick rad? Seems about normal to me for that heatload.

You are going to need more airflow in that case. You will end up having that lower rad blow warm air into the case, past the already hot back of 3 GPUs, some of which goes out the rear, some of which goes through the top radiator.

As far as fans, I cant say I believe that rating, but slow silent fans typically do not move a lot of air with much pressure. The rads are lowish FPI, at least the bottom looks like it (reminds me of the PA 120.2...anyway). Not sure on the top one.

Id bet after you run hard for an hour or so that case is belching heat out, LOL. I have a 295x2 and a 5820K at 4.2Ghz with the same amount of radiator (3x120 and thick 2x120) and when the loop warms up, teh air coming out the top is warm... shows almost 38c. My CPU reaches ~60c, same with the GPU.

Last edited:
So... you have 875W to cool with 5x120 worth of rad with one of them being a thick rad? Seems about normal to me for that heatload.

Would you recommend anything other than flipping the bottom two 120mm from pull/exhaust to push/intake ?

See my edit...

More radiator would certainly help. Better fans and flipping the bottom around, yeah.

You are going to need more airflow in that case. You will end up having that lower rad blow warm air into the case, past the already hot back of 3 GPUs, some of which goes out the rear, some of which goes through the top radiator.

As far as fans, I cant say I believe that rating, but slow silent fans typically do not move a lot of air with much pressure. The rads are lowish FPI, at least the bottom looks like it (reminds me of the PA 120.2...anyway). Not sure on the top one.

Id bet after you run hard for an hour or so that case is belching heat out, LOL. I have a 295x2 and a 5820K at 4.2Ghz with the same amount of radiator (3x120 and thick 2x120) and when the loop warms up, teh air coming out the top is warm... shows almost 38c. My CPU reaches ~60c, same with the GPU.

This is the top rad: http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/ima...-coolstream-pe-360-black-waek-788-45984-1.jpg
You are right - bottom rad has alot less fins, bought in a kit that was on the cheap side. I get what I pay for!

What's a good brand fan that doesn't want to murder my ears?

Ek Vaders, Noiseblocker NB-eLoop, Gentle Typhoon, Swiftech Helix to name a few.

+1

Ek Vaders, Noiseblocker NB-eLoop, Gentle Typhoon, Swiftech Helix to name a few.

+1

I agree with both members.

I would also like to add that you don't have enough heat surface to cool 875w+ with that much heat surface if you want to run the fans silent. You'll need more. So here are your options.

1. Scrap on buying new premium rad fans and save up and purchase the right case to house all those rads and add another rad in the mix.

2. Buy the premium rad fans, replace them and have the front, bottom as intake and top/rear as exhaust OR front, bottom, top as intake and rear as exhaust so all your rads are getting the coolest air first and the front fan is helping flow that warm air out the back.

Another thing I would also add is I'm sure you're not fully finished with the build is make sure to have good cable management as well *** redoing the route. Shortest distances is best. Loop order doesn't necessarily matter. Here's an example of what I'm thinking.

Reroute.jpg

Also, if you want, you could flip the top rad around so its closest to the reservoir and use the same routing shown above.

A fan controller of some type might help too. You seem to crave silence, but with that much wattage to cool it'll really help if you can spin the fans faster as the loop heats up. You don't have to use Deltas, but being able to go from near silent at idle to audible under load will very likely result in better temps with the right fans.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I have purchased a new 2x120 rad from EKWB with denser fins, and two more powerful fans that will push air through the bottom rads and into the system as many of you pointed out. I will try and give an update later this week and tell you the difference in temperatures that I get.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I have purchased a new 2x120 rad from EKWB with denser fins, and two more powerful fans that will push air through the bottom rads and into the system as many of you pointed out. I will try and give an update later this week and tell you the difference in temperatures that I get.

Just saw this thread, sounds like you're following the right path.
Adding 2.120 for a total of 7.120 and flipping the bottom fans to intake instead of exhaust will help immensely.

Back