• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTB Laptop , what brands to avoid ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s8n

Registered
hi OC members , im looking at getting a second hand Laptop at some point and im wondering what brands to avoid ive made a list below.............

Toshiba
Lenovo
Asus
Samsung

definitely avoid

HP
Dell
Compaq
Acer

I would avoid HP like the plague. I've had mine repaired twice and it still didn't make it through the warranty period. I bought my son a Lenovo for X-mas 2 years ago and haven't had a single issue with it.

I would say HP/Toshiba/Dell/Compaq.

Are Acers that bad?
I have an Asus that I never had issues with *after getting rid of the bloatware*
Had an HP dv4-1220us, and well........I'm never doing an HP again. on board video literally burned and HP was like, go thru CircuitCity, where I bought it, during their liquidation.....so yeah.

Toshibas are pretty.......but from my experience have cooling issues.

Actually the first one was nVidia. HP lost a class action law suit and was forced to fix it. They put in a Radeon and it died 10 months later. Now it's just a paper weight.

wow thanks guys for the info much appreciated , any more info and stories added helps

I owned 6 HP laptops when i was in the navy. Id go through 2 a deployment. Me being young and had more money than sense, I continued buying them. I have a stack of dead hp's now lol. I recently bought a lenovo, and its been great. My work laptop is an Asus; while old and decrepit, its still trudging along lol. For the money, it appears lenovo will always give you the best bang for the buck. Acer laptops are generally quite decent, not sure why you have them on your excluded list.

Dell laptops are perfectly fine if you get one from the Latitude line (their business line) I can't speak to the inspiron (consumer) line though.

Samsungs are decent from what I understand, Sonys are nice but overpriced, lenovo makes decent laptops but they've been under fire a lot lately due to hiding a lot of spyware stuff in their machines.

I've had Dell Latitude and Dell XPS now. I have had a Toshiba (Motherboard). I have also known two other people with Motherboard problems on their Toshiba. My son has a pretty high end Asus and he is also having hardware problems as well.

My wife had a Compaq which was basically a pile of crap. It appears as though many have different experiences so I wouldn't focus so much on the brand as much as the specific device. Its pretty easy to read reviews these days (especially on older machines)

I've had a number of Dell laptops and can say once you get rid of all the excess programs they work good. In fact one of my longest lasting laptops was a Dell.

I've also used Lenovo at work for years, while it is not the fastest thing on earth, it is very durable. Depending on how you treat your laptops, I would choose one of those. No HP though, every HP product I've ever owned or worked on has died shortly after the warranty time, sometimes within days of it.

Back