• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD guy needs help from INTEL camp choosing sons new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oldiron

Hi folks,
Well I need some advice from the intel guys as I live in a house divided. I know nothing about the intel line, and my boy came to me yesterday with a budget and asked if I could help him put together his next build. Putting it together , not an issue, picking it out I dont even know where to start.
This is his current rig-
Intel-i7-3770
Gigabyte- GA z77-D3H
16gb- generic 1333 ddr3
GTX980
900D- corsair
PSU-cx-750

His budget is 800-1000max and he wants to change only the cpu-mobo-ram, I am going to get him a new PSU for x-mas, so I'll cover that.
Any suggestions or builds would be greatly appreciated. When he asked me I told him I didnt have a clue but I know some guys that would.
Thanks all to any that reply.

Last edited:
Not sure why he would even change what he has honestly...3770 is plenty serviceable. Perhaps get 2x8GB DDR3 2133 ram, but there are not many performance gains there. Not sure why you would change the PSU out either...

If he insists...

Z170 based board (MSI Gaming M5 or Giga Gaming 5, ASRock Extreme 6, ASUS Pro Gamer, etc)
and 2x8GB DDR4 2800MHz.

Yeah, I'm with E_D here if it's for performance really no reason too, now I could see just for the fact of upgrading to something current, while the old parts are still "sellable" to recoup a bit of funds.

Thanks ED I was hoping you'd weigh in, Reason, other than he is making his own money now is his rig is 4yrs old and I think he just wants to stay current or as current he can to carry him another 4 yrs or so as he can afford it now.
The PSU came from another rig before we built his and I'm pretty sure its like 5-7yrs old so the age was what was driving that. Do you think its unecessary ? I know he'd like to save all he can.
Thanks man

I wouldn't worry about the PSU until the system gives him fits.

As it stands, that upgrade I listed will run around $600.

Also YHPM old iron...

Yeah, I'm with E_D here if it's for performance really no reason too, now I could see just for the fact of upgrading to something current, while the old parts are still "sellable" to recoup a bit of funds.

I'm sure he wants to resell, and get back what he can that's what really started the whole discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

As it stands, that upgrade I listed will run around $600.

Thanks man , He's already looking it up/pricing

I'm always looking up ED's acronyms and my sons as well. I agree with the gents above, that 3770k is still a great chip. Oc it and maybe some faster ram and hes set.

I have been on forums way too long and way too much I think... LOL!

I was on a Honda Civic website since like early 2000's when I was a young buck, LOL!

Thanks Guys- Yeah it has been a great rig for him, almost made me think about switching camps- and last year with all your guys help, we did a full loop for it, and he got the 980gtx and block early this spring, so he's going to pull it down for a yearly cleaning/maint and he has the money so I suggested now is the time to upgrade if hes thinking about it so he can still get something back on what he has. I'm actually jealous, his rig is so quiet compared to mine. I can barely tell its on when I go in his room.

Being an older PC, does he have an SSD? That alone would make a world of difference.

Since he's water cooling, better cooling is likely not really an option. An overclocked to hell 3770k will still perform admirably, and theres no real reason to upgrade (As aforementioned). Going skylake will be a good upgrade if its necessary; but is it? Have him do some benchmarks and see if a new cpu will actually benefit him.

Being an older PC, does he have an SSD? That alone would make a world of difference.

Since he's water cooling, better cooling is likely not really an option. An overclocked to hell 3770k will still perform admirably, and theres no real reason to upgrade (As aforementioned). Going skylake will be a good upgrade if its necessary; but is it? Have him do some benchmarks and see if a new cpu will actually benefit him.

Thanks Bob, I agree with the SSD's and if I dont need to score him a new PSU i'll likely get him an 840evo for xmas. I just really think he wants something more current to get him by the next 4 yrs like this got him by the 4yrs he's had it and he can still recoup something from it when he sells it.

I know a lot of people who still game on 2500/2600ks and don't have any issues. He can still get plenty more use out of his rig, IMO.

I know a lot of people who still game on 2500/2600ks and don't have any issues. He can still get plenty more use out of his rig, IMO.

Thanks dlaw, I appreciate all the feedback and letting him read through all your guys responses, He's also considering that- I just think he wants the new car smell again personally, but he's his own man now.

Thanks dlaw, I appreciate all the feedback and letting him read through all your guys responses, He's also considering that- I just think he wants the new car smell again personally, but he's his own man now.
Don't they all, my 12 yr old is using my I5 2500k/Asrock Extreme 4 setup Oced to 4.5 on Air + a GTX 670. He told me the other day he want's a case for it like mine....yeah Ok sure I'll just go buy one for you right now. Anyhow, he has no issue playing COD, Minecraft and any of the other games he plays. They always want something new.

Don't they all, my 12 yr old is using my I5 2500k/Asrock Extreme 4 setup Oced to 4.5 on Air + a GTX 670. He told me the other day he want's a case for it like mine....yeah Ok sure I'll just go buy one for you right now. Anyhow, he has no issue playing COD, Minecraft and any of the other games he plays. They always want something new.

I hear ya man....thank god he's past those days- he's 20 now, my only one left at home my 2 daughters are off and gone to college, he chose a different path and started his own small business, and is now actually a sub-contractor for the company I work for, and he's still working on his degree nights and making decent money so he buys his own toys now.

Back