• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Star Wars Battlefront Beta

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stainlineho

So, I got the beta and it seems okay. Pretty cool to see Vader and Skywalker doing their lightsaber dance on Hoth.

But it just feels kind of "toyish" to me, like I'm watching some Lego men play or something.

I do not see this game holding a gaming population like other BF titles did.

Anyone else have first impressions?

I haven't played yet, just watched about 20 minutes of streams etc and felt the same way from watching. I didn't see anything that really caught my attention.

I haven't played yet, just watched about 20 minutes of streams etc and felt the same way from watching. I didn't see anything that really caught my attention.

Yeah, it will be cool to play with all the upgrades/gadgets, etc...but I see it getting old quickly and will not pay $60 when MGS5:pP will keep my attention solidly for another 2-3 months.

I played for about 10 minutes during lunch yesterday...

I froze twice, but otherwise, it really looked good. Not sure if I like not having a server browser and being able to choose which server though. I thought out of the gate it was going to be a re-skinned BF4, but it really didn't feel/play that way.

I played for about 10 minutes during lunch yesterday...

I froze twice, but otherwise, it really looked good. Not sure if I like not having a server browser and being able to choose which server though. I thought out of the gate it was going to be a re-skinned BF4, but it really didn't feel/play that way.

The aiming felt more "3rd person shooter" than FPS to me, weird I know.

Well, with them taking away the accuracy bonus for ADS, there isn't a point to zoom in anymore so its more run and gun in that respect.

I played it for a little so far and honestly, I really enjoy it. Won't be paying $60 for it (who pays retail price nowdays anyway... GMG has regular 23% off, and of course G2A and those similar sites as well), but I do plan on picking it up as a title to kind of jump into to shoot things for a bit without being stuck to a length of time I'd be forced playing like in CSGO or LoL.

Played some this afternoon and it was okay. Power curve seems steep compared to the BF series in regards to new players versus people who have some upgrades.

Very pretty game and is fun, but I'm on the fence as well. Technically it runs beautifully and I'm pleased it's not BF4 re-skinned. I did preorder but got a discount off the code so I'm ok as I'm not paying retail.

About the same here. Very exciting for the first hour or two (Star Wars!) and even beyond that, there were entertaining aspects which popped up (hero vs. hero combat, jet packs). Overall, though, I didn't get a strong sense of "replayability" (maybe that's the nature of a beta?).

Gripes:
Why are there no squad mechanics? Is that to be added later? The group I play with has 1-2 decent players and the rest aren't so great. Being able to spawn on more than just one person ("Partner Spawn") would go a long way in making this more fun for, at least, groups like mine.

I'm also gonna need a server browser, STAT! It's darn-near impossible to get more than 2 people from a "party" on the same team. And on the topic of "parties", why can't I see some people's avatars who are in my party? And why do I not always have the option to "Invite" them to a party/partner/game? Lot's of bugs in the party/group play system and that will need to be fixed because I don't see myself ever playing this game solo.

We all pre-ordered for, I think, $48 from GoG, but I'm not convinced it's worth even that. I could see this game being $20 a month after release...

Last edited:
It's a shame they released it under EA. It seems any time EA is involved the game is rushed then released barely working or missing key elements to make it great. I always love how EA "beta" tests the game then changes nothing on release.

As much as I want this game to succeed, I don't have high hopes for it.
Seems like EA really did the Battlefront name poorly from everything I've read about the beta.

I might get it for $15-20 sometime, but unless big changes happen I don't foresee myself making the purchase.

It's a shame they released it under EA. It seems any time EA is involved the game is rushed then released barely working or missing key elements to make it great. I always love how EA "beta" tests the game then changes nothing on release.

This is mainly Ubisoft anymore. No one should ever pre-order an Ubi game.

All i know is, if you can hit things as a stormtrooper, game is broken

Lol...Excellent point!

Is EA still called the Worst company in America by The Consumerist?
Remember the EA Games: Challenge Everything intro? yeah...challenge everything......like expecting a game to be released when it is ready, or that microtransactions will be kept to facebook games.....etc.

I haven't heard about any lock up problems. Pretty much only that the game is pretty shallow and generally not considered worth the $60 buy in.

I wouldn't say that. I would argue that Battlefield 4 had significantly more content and more reason to play it for longer than about the 10 hours or so it takes to see everything in Battlefront.

[nsfw warning]

Back