• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Man's Sky, is anyone else excited?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SCAM!!

LOL. I'll wait to hear about any possible multiplayer and or what happens at the center of the universe. :D

$66.49 CAD on Steam right now.
"Unlocks" August 9th.

I will wait for the winter sale in hopes it'll be on sale :)

I'm torn on it. Looks like something I'd enjoy now that more and more information has come out about it. But @ $60 + 20% off... hmmmmm, not sure if its worth it yet.

I'm torn on it. Looks like something I'd enjoy now that more and more information has come out about it. But @ $60 + 20% off... hmmmmm, not sure if its worth it yet.

The longer it takes to get here, the less I'm interested in it. Sure, it looks like a blast to explore everything. But no multiplayer combined with the fact that anything you create or change (with the exception of names) is lost the instant you leave the planet and the fact that there will be next to no lifeforms on the planets to interact with seems like it could get boring rather quickly. Once you reach 'the center', what is there to do? Replay value seems kinda low, although it seems as though it could take a very long time to reach 'the center'. I think I'm going to hold off to see what others say about it before I take the plunge.

The longer it takes to get here, the less I'm interested in it. Sure, it looks like a blast to explore everything. But no multiplayer combined with the fact that anything you create or change (with the exception of names) is lost the instant you leave the planet and the fact that there will be next to no lifeforms on the planets to interact with seems like it could get boring rather quickly. Once you reach 'the center', what is there to do? Replay value seems kinda low, although it seems as though it could take a very long time to reach 'the center'. I think I'm going to hold off to see what others say about it before I take the plunge.

From what I understand life on planets varies greatly. The guy that got the copy pre-release said it took him about 30 hours to get to the center. But after a certain amount of time he started collecting and selling high value items with the sole purpose of upgrading his ship and from there mostly shot to the center. As I understand it, that got nerfed in the day one patch.

From what I understand life on planets varies greatly.

If I remember correctly, they stated it was only 10% of the planets with life. And only a few of them had intelligent life.
Not saying it won't be fun either way, I'm just going to hold off a little to see how well it is received by the masses before plopping down my $60.

No disagreement there!

I think it depends on what you consider intelligent life. There's life as animals etc on a lot, but maybe not NPCs where you'd get quests sell stuff etc.

This was the quote I was thinking of:

"The developers aimed for a 90–10 rule, with around 90% of the planets being uninhabitable, and of the 10% that do support life, 90% of those only include mundane lifeforms, making the planets that thrive with a vivid ecosystem rare."

Wow, no multiplayer? I haven't been following the game until the other day... Heard all the hype and whatnot over the last few months, but NO MULTIPLAYER?! In a space sandbox? That just seems absurd. I have lost all interest after seeing your post. I've been playing ARK lately and was under the impression No Man's Sky was going to be a similar sandbox game - guess I was way off base.

Sounds like another huge disappointment... such a great concept poorly executed. I bought Elite Dangerous back when it came out with the promise of being able to land on planets in a future patch and slowly gave up on waiting for that.

From what I understand life on planets varies greatly. The guy that got the copy pre-release said it took him about 30 hours to get to the center.

I like that.
I like games with a fair amount of grinding.

Now hopefully I get an email saying it's on sale on Steam!

Well I got it, thank you BB with 20% off, and some birthday perks dropped the price down nice and low.

Played it last night for roughly an hour. Still on the primary planet and still doing things on that planet itself, finding prints, supplies, artifacts, etc.
So far I'm enjoying it. The work looks wonderful, very interesting looking. Wildlife seems to very greatly and there can be plenty of it in spots.
Looking forward to venture into space tonight if I can finish finding things on the planet... don't want to leave til I do everything since looks like there is a big completion reward in doing so (credits).

Well I got it, thank you BB with 20% off, and some birthday perks dropped the price down nice and low.

Played it last night for roughly an hour. Still on the primary planet and still doing things on that planet itself, finding prints, supplies, artifacts, etc.
So far I'm enjoying it. The work looks wonderful, very interesting looking. Wildlife seems to very greatly and there can be plenty of it in spots.
Looking forward to venture into space tonight if I can finish finding things on the planet... don't want to leave til I do everything since looks like there is a big completion reward in doing so (credits).

Is this an online based game like WoW or PoE where latency matters? Or can you solo like Warframe?

Asking because of my super high latency. I don't want to buy a game I can't play.

Is this an online based game like WoW or PoE where latency matters? Or can you solo like Warframe?

Asking because of my super high latency. I don't want to buy a game I can't play.

As far as I know the game is effectively single player. I think you can run in offline mode and it wouldn't matter. (You'd have to check that). You just wouldn't see changes that other people did when they discovered planets (what they named the planet, for example)

Wow, no multiplayer? I haven't been following the game until the other day... Heard all the hype and whatnot over the last few months, but NO MULTIPLAYER?! In a space sandbox? That just seems absurd. I have lost all interest after seeing your post. I've been playing ARK lately and was under the impression No Man's Sky was going to be a similar sandbox game - guess I was way off base.

Sounds like another huge disappointment... such a great concept poorly executed. I bought Elite Dangerous back when it came out with the promise of being able to land on planets in a future patch and slowly gave up on waiting for that.

You worry too much about the endgame and not enough about the journey, from what i have read its an exploration game, and this is what you do, explore (kinda like Mass Effect). How would MP improve on this in any way ? having thousands of players running around taking the little loot you can find and making progress difficult if not impossible ?

You worry too much about the endgame and not enough about the journey, from what i have read its an exploration game, and this is what you do, explore (kinda like Mass Effect). How would MP improve on this in any way ? having thousands of players running around taking the little loot you can find and making progress difficult if not impossible ?

The fun of having it be MP would be able to join up with a friend and go exploring together. They said it would be unlikely to see another player, but it was shown that with two people at the exact same spot on the same planet each of their experiences were entirely instances/separate and they couldn't see each other at all.

Back