• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some memory advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JCE3000GT

My specs are below in my signature. I'm going to get an FX-8350 CPU here soon and I want to replace my old 1600 RAM with something better. My questions are below for easy reading. I'm not looking to OC the memory...ever. I greatly appreciate you all's assistance.

1. Is it even worth it to pay an extra $13-15 for 2133 vs 1866?
  2. Is it true that I'll only get 2000 out of it anyway?

Below are two examples of what i'm looking at.

2133:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233533

1866:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233170

i honestly doubt you would see any noticeable improvement going from 1600 to something faster, I wouldn't waste the money unless you were also increasing your overall size (buying a 16GB kit or something) and the costs were the same.

Also, I would look up to verify that that motherboard has a strong enough VRM section to support an 8350, a lot of lower-end boards do not and people end up with a ton if stability issues (and even dead boards).

i honestly doubt you would see any noticeable improvement going from 1600 to something faster, I wouldn't waste the money unless you were also increasing your overall size (buying a 16GB kit or something) and the costs were the same.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still going to have 8GB total, I just thought it would be nice to increase speed. Would increasing the speed not improve some gaming performance? Or are we still a while away from needing 1866/2133 as a minimum requirement?

Also, I would look up to verify that that motherboard has a strong enough VRM section to support an 8350, a lot of lower-end boards do not and people end up with a ton if stability issues (and even dead boards).

I did check my mobo manufacturer and it stated that it supports this CPU, do I need to ask the manufacturer directly regarding the VRM? Or is there someone on this forum who has or had both that can confirm/deny compatibility? I'm not looking to OC the 8350 so I'm not sure if this matters or not. :)

The performance increase is so small (a percent or two at most) that you may gain 1fps or 2 depending on the benchmark I wouldn't waste the money.

Regarding the motherboard, a lot of boards have 'support' for the 8350/8370 chips (As in the bios recognizes the CPU) but the amount of load that it puts on the board it can't handle it. You may be able to do a few searches here in the AMD section in the CPU and motherboard subforums to see if it is commonly used, I haven't built with AMD for quite a while but am very aware of us having numerous threads of people wondering why their system isn't stable and it turns out the motherboard is more often than not the cause. Someone else here that is more familiar with recommended boards may be able to make some recommendations or verify that it wouldn't cause any issues.

Not overclocking the chip definitely would help your case, as overclocking those CPUs skyrockets the strain on the board.

You're fine on the Gig board for a FX.
Don't waste the money on the ram.

The performance increase is so small (a percent or two at most) that you may gain 1fps or 2 depending on the benchmark I wouldn't waste the money.

Regarding the motherboard, a lot of boards have 'support' for the 8350/8370 chips (As in the bios recognizes the CPU) but the amount of load that it puts on the board it can't handle it. You may be able to do a few searches here in the AMD section in the CPU and motherboard subforums to see if it is commonly used, I haven't built with AMD for quite a while but am very aware of us having numerous threads of people wondering why their system isn't stable and it turns out the motherboard is more often than not the cause. Someone else here that is more familiar with recommended boards may be able to make some recommendations or verify that it wouldn't cause any issues.

Not overclocking the chip definitely would help your case, as overclocking those CPUs skyrockets the strain on the board.

Ah good deal. I'll search to find a topic to see if anyone had experience.

You're fine on the Gig board for a FX.
Don't waste the money on the ram.

That's good to hear. Do you have experience with these two or do you remember reading something to that effect?

And I guess if it isn't broke don't fix it with reference to my RAM eh?

I have some experience, yes. :D Generally, I tend to not talk out my ***.
Unless you're a bencher, you will notice no difference in anything with the ram at 1600 as opposed to 1866 or greater. The sweet spot for FX is right around 1800. Your current ram will overclock that high. ;)

I have some experience, yes. :D Generally, I tend to not talk out my ***.
Unless you're a bencher, you will notice no difference in anything with the ram at 1600 as opposed to 1866 or greater. The sweet spot for FX is right around 1800. Your current ram will overclock that high. ;)

Cool beans! Maybe I'll spend the $$ I was going to spend on RAM and get a new mobo instead... My board doesn't like 8xxx/9xxx CPUs according to google...

Unless you're going to get a Sabertooth or CH board, you might as well stick with what you have.

Unless you're going to get a Sabertooth or CH board, you might as well stick with what you have.

Are those expensive? LOL If my mobo doesn't like a new CPU upgrade it is rather worthless to even bother..? I'm going to resume this in my CPU upgrade topic. :)

Are those expensive? LOL If my mobo doesn't like a new CPU upgrade it is rather worthless to even bother..? I'm going to resume this in my CPU upgrade topic. :)
They're high end boards, yes.
Link to your other topic please? :)

Back