• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to decide between a single 4k, dual ultra wides or triples

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peeved Kitten

I'm in the process of speccing out a machine specifically for gaming. I'll be using a cockpit setup and am trying to decide whether to go with a single 4k monitor, dual ultra wide displays or a triple monitor setup. I'm a little underwhelmed by the idea of a single 4k display and figured I would ask you guys for your thoughts.

I play a lot of MMO's, but am looking at getting into some of the upcoming and current space shooters. The system I'm building is a dual 980 Ti rig with an option to go triple if I decide I need the horsepower. My plans are to pick up an Occulus Rift as soon as they are available, but I imagine I'll still game on my monitors a good bit.

Budget is between $1200 and $1500, I could go higher if I need to. Which way would you guys go if you were in my shoes?

I like my triple monitors better than a single for gaming by far.
With your GPU setup that's planned, look at three of the Dell U2515H.

Don't do two monitors, you'll have a bezel down the middle...

I like my triple monitors better than a single for gaming by far.
With your GPU setup that's planned, look at three of the Dell U2515H.

Don't do two monitors, you'll have a bezel down the middle...

I realized the issue with dual monitors almost immediately after I typed it. I like the Dell's, but the response time seems slow (8ms, 6ms in "fast" mode). Do you have these?

I realized the issue with dual monitors almost immediately after I typed it. I like the Dell's, but the response time seems slow (8ms, 6ms in "fast" mode). Do you have these?

I have three of the U2414H, they're phenomenal monitors and I would recommend them to anyone.
They work great for gaming, the bezel is a huge bonus.

I have three of the U2414H, they're phenomenal monitors and I would recommend them to anyone.
They work great for gaming, the bezel is a huge bonus.

Do you have any issues pushing that many pixels? Some people have voiced concerns about low framerates if I were to go 3x 1440p with the dual 980 Ti's.

ATM runs 3x1080p with a single 980, I run a single 4K with dual 980s, and I saw a video on Newegg 5 or 6 years ago of quad Titans (original Titans) running 3x1440p monitors. The Titans got rediculous scores (and framerates in the 80s on Crysis3 maxed out, if I remember correctly) even at that resolution. Since a 980Ti has just as much VRAM and ~150% of the power, I don't think you'd have a problem

Do you have any issues pushing that many pixels? Some people have voiced concerns about low framerates if I were to go 3x 1440p with the dual 980 Ti's.

Nope, and you shouldn't have any issues with a pair of 980Ti's and 3x 1440p.

ATM runs 3x1080p with a single 980, I run a single 4K with dual 980s, and I saw a video on Newegg 5 or 6 years ago of quad Titans (original Titans) running 3x1440p monitors. The Titans got rediculous scores (and framerates in the 80s on Crysis3 maxed out, if I remember correctly) even at that resolution. Since a 980Ti has just as much VRAM and ~150% of the power, I don't think you'd have a problem

Nope, and you shouldn't have any issues with a pair of 980Ti's and 3x 1440p.

You guys rock. I was extremely concerned about not having the horsepower to run 3x 1440p and wasting serious cash on that versus a single ultrawide or a 4k display. Any opinions on TN vs. IPS displays?

This acer seems very good for the price, but it's a TN display: Acer K272HUL

If there's a good reason to go IPS I'll probably just go with the Dell U2515H that ATM suggested.

IPS panels have better color reproduction, but TN panels generally have better response times and higher refresh rates.

As far as that specific model goes, spec wise it looks good for the price, but you should definitely wait for a monitor expert to confirm. For your usage, I don't think you really need IPS, but again, I'm no expert.

Acer typically has cheap stands that like to wobble. Does your cockpit have VESA mounts?
The viewing angle of an IPS will be much better than a TN also.

Acer typically has cheap stands that like to wobble. Does your cockpit have VESA mounts?
The viewing angle of an IPS will be much better than a TN also.

Yes, the cockpit will have Vesa mounts. So the monitors have to be VESA compatible.

VolairSim.jpg

At this point I'll probably just go with either the Dell U2515H or the slightly larger one, the Dell U2715H.

Either one will be a great choice for you.
Like I mentioned before, the slim bezels are a huge difference in the immersion factor of sim racing.

Benq's 144hz tn panels are pretty tasty for fast paced gaming. For a sim or "fast moving " game, I'd be remiss if i didnt recommend you go that route. They can be pricey, but i love mine. I will be buying 2 more myself eventually .

No, one of those monitors would absolutely not replace a 3x monitor solution.

I wasn't suggesting that it would replace a 3x setup. I was merely suggesting an alternative, especially since the OP started with deciding between a single, dual (ok removed) and triples.

I personally would much rather have one screen than 3 with the screen being split but that's just me.

He's also getting an oculus so I'm guessing a lot of his time will be spent with the headset on.

Back