• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 2k and LAN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

I have Win2k Pro and had the same exact prob w/ WinXP Pro...
My LAN card is working I even got new drivers...
But it won't see anyother computer on the LAN and the other computers can't see it. The interesting thing is that in WinME LAN worx perfectly... dunno what's causing the probs can anyone help? The LAN Card is "Realtek fast ethernet"

Have you assigned an internal IP to each computer (ex. 192.168.0.1)?
Make sure they are in the same subnet mask also, usually 255.255.255.0 for a small LAN.

Also, in Windows, make sure both computers belong to the same workgroup or domain, whichever you have it set up.

OK, thanks a lot, it worked. Patialy though. the comps see each other and Win2k can access the Win9x but the Win9x can't access Win2k. It asks for a password. How do I choose the password/remove it in the Win2k???

setup a user/computer account in the 2k box. That will fix the problem. I had to do that for the print server at my place.

The easiest way is to just go into userers and groups, advanced, advanced, users, guests properties, and uncheck "account is disabled" Then any comp on the lan can access your shared files.

WyrmMaster said:
The easiest way is to just go into userers and groups, advanced, advanced, users, guests properties, and uncheck "account is disabled" Then any comp on the lan can access your shared files.

Um . . . Hello security hole.

Hey thanks a lot. As u can see I'm really no good in these things, but gotta learn some how...

Now to another Q. My ICS doesn't work. the computer tries to access the internet but the one w/ the modem doesn't even start dialing, I set the dialing to automatic and it still doesn't work.
I reinstalled windows yesterday, and now even in WinME (on the modem machine) where the ICS worked (dual boot) it doesn't work now. It won't even look for Proxy server at first. I have a fixed IP at 10.1.1.1
what do I do on the non-modem machine to get it to work?

*EDIT* OK got it to work, so never mind, and thanks

Last edited:
Back