• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

m.2 drive for server OS/Data drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
Basically debating if having a 512gb Samsung SM951 drive with a 2150MB read speed and 1500mb write speed would make a significant difference over 2x 500GB Crucial BX100 in raid 1. Regardless of which one i pick there will be 2x 2TB drives in raid 1 for nightly backups. If i go the crucial route i plan on going with a supermicro X10SL7-F-O board and xeon cpu. if i go with the samsung drive which motherboard would pair well?

What do you use the server for that would need such high read/write speeds?

A dental office with about 20 workstations in the office and 3 other offices will access the server remotely.
All 3 other offices have the crucial raid 0 solution with a xeon e3-1231v3 CPU. The workstations have 4690k's and a single crucial drive for os/data. And they all take a little bit of time to load the dental software sometimes

I think i found my solution!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128838
I can raid 0 two sm951's!. I also plan on installing single sm951's in the workstations

I highly doubt you would notice much of a difference. Are you sure that the bottleneck is read/write and just that it may take some time to load?

I have a hard time thinking that raid0 in any production system is a good idea, if anything raid10 could be considered to have some redundancy. Unless you have redundant systems available in case one goes down?

I highly doubt you would notice much of a difference. Are you sure that the bottleneck is read/write and just that it may take some time to load?

I have a hard time thinking that raid0 in any production system is a good idea, if anything raid10 could be considered to have some redundancy. Unless you have redundant systems available in case one goes down?

I think the faster read/write will improve loading times. The server also runs a virtual server and with the software we use all the computers in the office can simultaneously be accessing the data on the server. Things work well now I just feel they could work better for some extra money. By the way I was wrong the drives are in raid 1 not 0. I suppose if I don't go the m.2 route having 3x Samsung 850 pros in raid 10 would give me the redundancy with a performance boost?

Last edited:
Sequential read/write will improve mainly loading OS, not loading most other applications as most operations are random. Random bandwidth of these fastest SSD is about 20% faster than on regular SSD so I doubt you will see any difference. I also doubt that in use is really big database. Fastest SSD will show its full potential on larger database with many clients so more like production environment.

RAID 10 requires 4 drives. If you don't have any really fast RAID controller then it's waste of money and it's better put there 2x larger SSD in RAID1.

^^^ what he said. if it's for a business, it should be on you to prove that higher I/O is what is needed, or you're going to end up spending their money on negligible results.

Back