• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Riser question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I know I'm normally one of the people who answers riser questions, but I've got one this time.

The 16x to 16x risers I bought (that still haven't show up from China, and now the tracking number says it is invalid), are 30cm long. However the upper row on the Hydra station is taller than that.

Is there any issue with daisy chaining the risers? I'm not seeing one in theory, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks!

I don't really know. I can see an issue though. 1) Every connection point is a loss of signal in and of itself. 2) There is signal strength degradation over distance. These two facts may or may not cause you a problem.

I would be interested to know how it works for you.

I was aware of the signal loss issue, but I'm hopeful that 60cm isn't enough distance to be an issue.

And if the worry about it working isn't enough, I've noticed that the tracking number for it has gone from working to not working. :bang head

Chat time with Newegg.

Ribbon cable? Or USB cable?

If it's ribbon cable, you might have issues there. IIRC there were max length specified because over those lengths, the signal is degraded a lot due to interference and the thin wires in the ribbon cable. I don't know the exact lengths but I think 30cm might be the max.

I'd search around for some standards on ribbon cable lengths. I'd also look up to see what the max length the USB standards allow. IIRC, it's like 5Ft?

Would signal repeaters work in a USB or even ribbon environment?

I dunno, never heard of one of these repeaters...
Can't be too much delay though, if the repeaters cause too much delay the driver might freak out on the card...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

USB 1.1 3M or 5M cable length max.

USB 2.0 5M cable length max.

USB 3.0 doesn't give a max length, but according to specs, 3M is about the max for AWG 26 conductors.

Signal booster / repeater cable
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812504005

And if I do get interference, I was planning on shielding the cables with foil.

I don't think you'll have an issue then, other than the risers not supporting daisy chaining itself.
The cable length was the only thing I could think of that could pose a problem, so I'd say you are in the clear :)

I don't think you'll have an issue then, other than the risers not supporting daisy chaining itself.
The cable length was the only thing I could think of that could pose a problem, so I'd say you are in the clear :)

I'm going to be using the ribbon cable ones, not the USB ones. Length may still be an issue.

With the 1X and 1M USB cables, I'm getting between 200K and 260K on cards that should be doing 300K to 330K.

I'm going to be using the ribbon cable ones, not the USB ones. Length may still be an issue.

With the 1X and 1M USB cables, I'm getting between 200K and 260K on cards that should be doing 300K to 330K.

That sort of answers my question about USB for this environment. It just didn't seem like USB would provide enough bandwidth. Folding seems to take a lot of PCIe bandwidth.

Well.......there's always the much debated thunderbolt ROFL, if they only made add in cards.
Needs to be a way to do something like SLI, with USB, dual controllers sharing the load, increasing throughput.

*thats your cue MIT*

Well.......there's always the much debated thunderbolt ROFL, if they only made add in cards.
Needs to be a way to do something like SLI, with USB, dual controllers sharing the load, increasing throughput.

*thats your cue MIT*
I know someone tried RAID 0 on 4 USB's before.
That's didn't end well for the drives lol.

I'm going to see if I can find the max length on ribbion cables... Coulda swore it was 30 or 45cm.

Have you seen a doctor about your riser problem? :chair::rofl: sorry I had to sat that.

I took a look at the riser at Newegg and I don't see any problem with it, that said I don't have 1 so what do I know :rofl:
Looks very well made, not some home made crap.

Have you seen a doctor about your riser problem? :chair::rofl: sorry I had to sat that.

I took a look at the riser at Newegg and I don't see any problem with it, that said I don't have 1 so what do I know :rofl:
Looks very well made, not some home made crap.

The question is whether or not you can daisy chain two of them together and still have it work at optimum speed?

Back