• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my cooler sufficient for this cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1033ruben

Registered
As per title i am purchasing an amd fx9590 and after researching it on the inter-web it says i must have some kind of water cooling for it so i wanted to know if my antec kuhler h20 950 is sufficient before i go out and purchase it, if it isnt how about the antec kuhler h20 1250 or whatever u guys recommend will be great.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN
p.s. i am building a new rig u can read about it here http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f255/hows-this-for-my-new-rig-1053346.html#post6676298

OK I had a quick look at that and my self. I wouldn't use either one of those boards you listed for a 9590 and I would get the 8370 instead. Save your self some cash on it and spend it on the board. The 8xxx CPUs and 9XXX CPUs are basically the same just slightly different characteristics. The 9XXX get very hot and draw a ton of power and would definitely overwhel those motherboards you listed. MSI is known for blowing up and the ASUS is a good board for a 6 core but not an eight if you want to OC in the 4.7+ range which is ,I'm assuming why you were looking at the 9590.
Just wanted to let you think on this while I check out your coolers.

The 950 is definitely out, not much different than high end air cooling, that lave the 1250. Or check out the swiftech H220x probably one of the best AIO coolers right now.

Copied over from that terribly slow site :)

so i recently came into some money and i want to upgrade my rig right so i wanted to know what u guys/gals think of this for my new set up.
MOBO= MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com
CPU= AMD FX-8370 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ FD8370FRHKBOX Desktop Processor - Newegg.com
RAM= 32 gb of G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C10D-16GAO - Newegg.com
PSU= stick with the same one that i have got 750 rosewill capstone plus gold
GPU= GTx 760
Now the whole reason why i am upgrading is so that i can run sli and be able to run games on ultra at 1080p.
So any input would be great
THANKS
RUBEN
P.S. i have been thinking about maybe buying the fx 9590 but the thing is i cant seem to find a mobo that supports it so maybe u guys can point me in the right direction.

Do you own any of these parts already? What's your budget for new parts?

Are you only gaming at 1080P?

Why do you need 32GB of ram? Why have you decided on AMD?

Without knowing the answers, I would say scrap that entire thing and go:

z170/6600k (or z97/4690k for $50 less)
16GB (tho 8GB will honestly be fine for gaming)
250GB 850 EVO
GTX 960/970

Last edited:
If you want my honest opinion Ruben for high end gaming I would just get the FX-6350 and a solid motherboard. Most games do not utilize all 8 core efficiently and you'd simply be adding extra heat and power draw from the wall. I agree with Johan45. Stay far away from MSI when dealing with AMD's CPU's.

I would drop down to no more than 16GB's of ram. 8 is really all you need for gaming, but I understand the desire for more. 32GB's is way overkill for gaming though.

With the money saved I would look upgrade the graphics to a GTX960. It's more than enough for ultra gaming on a single 1080p screen with room to grow for the future.

EDIT: A single GTX960 will likely outperform 2x GTX760's ( having trouble finding compairs ATM) and you'll still have enough left over for an SSD for your OS.

RE-EDIT: I've been Ninja(core)'d! lol

Last edited:
okay well after some more researching hows ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z for a mobo.
THANKS
RUBEN

For gaming its way more than you need. Check out the Sabertooth. It'd cover your needs and then some.

no i do not own any of these parts my budget is right around $450-$500 for a mobo,cpu,and ram, psu is a rosewill750 capstone gold plus,and my gpu is a gtx760, hdd is a 2tb hiitachi, ssd is an 80gb intel and my backup drive is anther 160gb hitachi deskstar, idk iam going with amd because it looks like to me you get more bang for your buck
THANKS
RUBEN

the CHVz may be a bit overkill but that should be a nice setup. Not sure about the PSU, but if it is of lesser quality, you may be better served by dropping the MB to a Saberkitty. Again, I don't know anything (good or bad) regarding that PSU.

I think you're overbuying on the motherboard (maybe CPU too). But at a minimum make sure you get a top cooler. That's an area you don't want to "under buy" in.

4690k + decent z97 board = $350

8370 + decent AMD board = $350-400 (CHVz is $200...)

Ram is the same on both platforms.l and you can get away with a lot cheaper cooling on Intel.

What am I missing here?...

Edit: and did I mention the i5 will be better for games?

Edit2: heck, you could even go 6600k, z170, and ddr4 for around $400

- - - Updated - - -

I think you're overbuying on the motherboard (maybe CPU too). But at a minimum make sure you get a top cooler. That's an area you don't want to "under buy" in.
my cooler is perfect for this setup as right now i have it on a 120watt cpu and the 8370 i think is a 125watt cpu.
THANKS
RUBEN

- - - Updated - - -

4690k + decent z97 board = $350

8370 + decent AMD board = $350-400 (CHVz is $200...)

Ram is the same on both platforms.l and you can get away with a lot cheaper cooling on Intel.

What am I missing here?...

Edit: and did I mention the i5 will be better for games?

Edit2: heck, you could even go 6600k, z170, and ddr4 for around $400
yeah but 8 cores compared to 4 cores
RUBEN

i5 doesn't have HT ;) but I'd still take it any day over an 8 "core" FX

To answer the original OP question, btw :), antec 950 will cool the 8370 just fine. If you were to upgrade, id go with a Corsair option or high end air. Same/better performance and less noise.

Still wouldn't go FX.

Don't get me wrong, I love AMD gear... But there is a marketing thing you seemed to have consumed. Those 8 cores are NOT full cores. There are 4 full cores, and 4 partial cores that share an FPU unit and L2 cache each with one of the full cores. Therefore, the FX series are best described as modules and not on core terms. Think of it as a hardware implementation of hyperthreading, and you'll get a better picture. Ultimately, AMD's module system has the potential to be significantly better than hyperthreading, if IPC was the same core for core. It is not. Intel has significantly better IPC, and therefore performs better.

Now, on to the FX8xxx series. Can they game? Yes. Can they game well? Depends. If it is a single/duel threaded application, Intel will have an IPC advantage (assuming i7 vs FX8xx). This is assuming it is a CPU bound game, that is optimized for dual cores and not quads or higher. AMD cpu's perform relatively close to Intel CPUs in highly threaded applications due to the module design.

Don't get me wrong, I love AMD gear... But there is a marketing thing you seemed to have consumed. Those 8 cores are NOT full cores. There are 4 full cores, and 4 partial cores that share an FPU unit and L2 cache each with one of the full cores. Therefore, the FX series are best described as modules and not on core terms. Think of it as a hardware implementation of hyperthreading, and you'll get a better picture. Ultimately, AMD's module system has the potential to be significantly better than hyperthreading, if IPC was the same core for core. It is not. Intel has significantly better IPC, and therefore performs better.

Now, on to the FX8xxx series. Can they game? Yes. Can they game well? Depends. If it is a single/duel threaded application, Intel will have an IPC advantage (assuming i7 vs FX8xx). This is assuming it is a CPU bound game, that is optimized for dual cores and not quads or higher. AMD cpu's perform relatively close to Intel CPUs in highly threaded applications due to the module design.

+10 nailed it :thup: :clap:

Back