• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FPS Sniping/countersniping.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NZKshatriya

DMCA Violated Member
Discussion on the merits of scout/sniper classes in FPS gaming, as well as a place for those of us who at the same time hate being sniped.

What games are best suited to this style of game play, best areas and weapons for it, as well as best ways to counter said snipers.

Also, what is the most memorable way you have taken out a sniper in a game.

Memorable? What about stuff you just do on a regular basis? :p

I enjoy sniping, but then again, I snipe from all angles including close quarters, I'm more skilled than just sitting in one spot camping with a sniper rifle.

as for memorable, was thinking along the lines of, like in Battlefield Vietnam.....flying a huey and dropping a crate or vehicle on them....that was kinda funny,

One time, I went prone next to an enemy sniper, was sniping his guys as he was sniping mine.....he was clueless.....out came the knife.
knifing is the most rewarding way to get snipers IMO......or dropping crates in BF2...

DeltaForce games.

sneaking up behind a sniper that's like 1+miles out and then doing a "F1-F5" shout/audio emote and knifing him in the back before he can react to it.
or watching a sniper that ran out nearly 2 miles and picking him off 1 shot with a berret .50cal.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of BF-Vietnam i loved that game.
Remember a particular Cal match where i dropped the enemy teams last remaining spawn box out of bounds with the huey and flew back in time capped their last spawn and watched them all try to run to the out of bounds marker and die short of its boundary.

Some serious flaming started over that lol..

Another memorable thing in BF-Vietnam was using the Artillery and memorizing the clouds to aim at to hit certain targets was a ultra long way of sniping lol.

Ugh, CS....does an AWP shot in the foot still make a one shot kill?
Is there still an AWP or have they finally gotten around to licensing weapon names?

I love sniping and snipers.

It's fun getting cross map kills in the battlefield series, and equally as fun ruining a snipers day. Say..........a cross map kill with an RPG, arced at the correct angle to hit him behind the rock he is using cover, where you can see his head but not hit him, ya know?

Ugh, CS....does an AWP shot in the foot still make a one shot kill?
Is there still an AWP or have they finally gotten around to licensing weapon names?

I love sniping and snipers.

It's fun getting cross map kills in the battlefield series, and equally as fun ruining a snipers day. Say..........a cross map kill with an RPG, arced at the correct angle to hit him behind the rock he is using cover, where you can see his head but not hit him, ya know?

Same as it always has been since the pre 1.6 days, awp shots to limbs = no kill. They DID however recently fix the hitboxes in CSGO.

As for Battlefield, eh, you can't criticize CS without criticizing the sniping in the BF series, some of which makes me cringe. But aside from some issues I have with the sniping mechanics in the BF series, it is nice to kind of trail targets vs being dead on them regardless the distance.

Yeah, BF has had it's issues. but yay hitboxes.

And yeah, I like the fact in BF they figured out bullets don't fly at the speed of light lol.

Though, they never get RPG7 rounds correct. They launch rather instantaneously. Like a LARGE bullet. Not slow like in all games.
and they don't have that billowy smoke trail.

But have you ever heard the amount of complaining a sniper in BF makes when you resort to something overkill to take him out, lets say, when he's on that map in BF3 with the tower that falls near the end, and there's that ledge, where you can snipe from but no one can hit you.....Well, hit above that with an RPG and he's dead.

They get so riled when you kill them.

I prefer to not use glitches in the game, and play like you were meant to. So much more satisfying.

I'm the a-hole running around the map with a sniper rifle running and gunning :/ Especially in Op. Metro, people just don't seem to expect it.

I haven't played a whole lot of multiplayer FPS games, it basically boils down to tribes and UT, any version.

tribes I wasn't much of a fan of the sniper but the key to it is go fast, as fast as possible. as a scout I can get going stupid fast but as a sniper I cant go as fast so I have learned to be mobile while sniping.
UT I could go either way. my main weapon grabs before doing much damage was flak cannon and sniper/lightning gun (depending on game). in UT (any ver) I played so much instagib that I can no scope most of the time, you'd think the shock rifle would be closer to the instagib rifle but theres a delay in shock and the sniper/lightning gun more closely resembles the same reaction time as a instagib rifle. so I can be dodging and running around and pop people while I am going along. its 2 shots per kill from standard full health no armor or if I am lucky one to the head.

i'm sure a lot of you would wonder why flak and no rocket well. flack secondary fire has that bomb and that's handy for taking out snipers at medium range, where as rockets travel in a straight line this has an arc and after 15(ish) years of flak I am pretty well used to it now.

common thing I maintain is be mobile, don't camp cause unless your jhonny on the spot some one will quickly find out where your at. learn to run and gun, that way if some one gets the drop on you then you have a better chance of getting away

Tribes II, meltdown 2 mod was my fave.

Last I played was Tribes Ascend, which was pretty cool. But just as in past tribes.....annoyed people to death when I went flag capping as a heavy. Annoyed them even more as I tend to be good at it. All comes down to, as you said maintaining speed. Get a missile to the back, and lets just say....you are cross map in a flash.

key thing to sniping, which ppl don't get. Same as real life. Shoot and scoot.

I was a fan of COD4 sniping! Regarding BF4 sniping, I was always an offensive recon. I would run iron sights with a bolt action and rush. Sitting back sniping was too slow. :p

I was a fan of COD4 sniping! Regarding BF4 sniping, I was always an offensive recon. I would run iron sights with a bolt action and rush. Sitting back sniping was too slow. :p

the good ole days, my favorite as well the classic black dot marked in the center of your screen for quick scoping :)

the reason camping snipers hate run n gun snipers is because they dont have the skill required to do it. i play americas army and use the sniper close and far quarters, ive got banned more than once because "impossible shots" and other nonsense rather annoying... come to think of it i got banned from many many cod4 and blops servers for "hacking".

Back