• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

data read error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I am throwing together a basic rig to replace my mothers very aged xp home/single core rig from the 50's I think.
I have a little gigabyte fm2 board, a6 cpu, win7 pro and a 160 gig wd1600js spinner drive, the drive is really old but just a work horse.
when I boot the rig with this drive in it, it posts to a disk read error message.
If I attach the drive to another rig it boots right up.
if I put another drive in the rig for my mother that rig boots right up, I am at a loss here, witch to get rid of, the board or the drive.
the poor woman is 75 and just getting her up to speed on a new operating system is going to take long enough I really want to avoid any hardware issues at all and if I keep the drive for me I don't want a failure here either.

this drive is so old it might not be able to, but I'll give that a go.

well, it looks like 8 years and lots of moves has taken it's toll on the poor little drive.
time to file 13 this one.

here you go.

Attachments

• smart 1.JPG
    smart 1.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 40
  • smart 2.JPG
    smart 2.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 39
  • test 1.JPG
    test 1.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 41
  • test 2.JPG
    test 2.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 42
The test results look solid - no bad S.M.A.R.T. values nor errors, and since the drive works OK when plugged to the other system I would say that the motherboard is causing the issue in this case.

why would it be with only this one hdd?
I put the rig together with another 500 gig hdd and it's as right as rain in spring.

I have it in another rig as storage to play with and I can write very large files to it and copy them back flawlessly and can even boot from it.
I can see it being the board, it's a gigabyte and I have no luck with them.

in the rig that it will not boot, I was and am using sata port 0 with the same sata data cable and power connector from the same psu.

Back