• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NoL's ss & cascade repair extravaganza

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just read through the OCN thread, what a s***ty guy...
Hate it happened to you FS, but as we all know NoL will get you fixed up!

Agreed; I'm very surprised and disappointed to hear that. sdumper was supposed to be the man when it came to holding heavy loads. Sad, really. Sorry you had that experience.

On the plus side, you've chosen NoL, who has a superb reputation and is extremely knowledgeable...looking forward to seeing the progress. :D

Thanks hokie

Yeah...stinks but I have the ultimate faith in NoL. At least it'll get done right this time.

Okay time to fill this place up with pictures... Just gotta give me some time.
Some background for you all; I'm an internal medicine resident physician here in pennsylvania, and this month I've been working a surgery rotation. 100+ hour weeks.
We will get this going at full steam at the end of this calendar month, but for now it's piece meal this week; I don't even have the weekend off.

I'm amped up about this project though.
We just have to figure out what it's going to take to resurrect this thing.

Some parts updates;
We have 2x 1hp rotary LG P19's. 19cc of displacement means we should be okay to get some real work load here.
Plate HX seems like a 10 plate 8x3... That is grossly undersized and probably explains the swings on the 1st stage.
Second stage seems undercharged, likely a small leak; but all the gauges on this system are rubber o-ring'ed on when they shouldn't be; hard lines for gauges. Or no gauges. No gauges is always a better choice because why would a customer want gauges? If it doesn't work it doesn't work, doesn't help to know the pressures.
TXV valve and receiver; thank god, we will see what orifice is installed though, my guess... undersized.
Expansion tank; holy crap is this thing oversized. Looks like he downconverted a receiver that's 6-8L's of expansion volume that's hardlined. Great for startup pressures, great for slow start up, but drastically overkill. Probably keeping it though.
Safety pressure cutoff; steel braided line is a nice addition to attach it, but also is another silly spot for vibration to weaken a gasket. Will switch to copper.
Electronics; no changes here assuming everything works as indicated. I would like to go to contactors because I don't like putting so many amps through a switch, but I'm also not sure what kind of switches.
Base; warping piece of painted plywood, this HAS to go. The cost on fabricating a one off shell makes this a choice for funsoul. I'd be fine making a new wooden sled, reinforced with simply 2x4's under the compressors and sanded/rounded down, wheels back on. That'd be fine and let me adjust the workarea. If not we could look into simple extrusion additions and a case later on, maybe something that drops over the sled.
Evaporator, this is where I'm having a tough time. I hate these little evaporators on big cascade workloads. They don't have the volume or extraction abilities for the heat load. They work, but they aren't optimal. Problem here is cost. Flexline on this system should be fine, but we want to change the capillary here and get to a higher workload. That means this evaporator will flood and we'll end up cooling the suction line instead of the evaporator.
Oil separator, not sure cause it's painted; gotta dig it out and see what he used.

Thoughts; hot gas bypass won't be viable for this system I don't think. It adds heat load to control temperatures, but besides needing to add the valves, we would have to fully re-oil the compressor and oil separator. I think we will keep this system balls to the wall cold. Maybe we think about a VFD if cost isn't a concern instead.

Any questions folks?

Holy moly, that thing is way beyond just "bad"...
Funsoul, I hope these notes are going to be posted on the OCN thread as well.

Adam's started tearing down the cascade. His only comment so far is "The build quality is horrifying." 11225205_10153364491449545_1823988997790876032_n.jpg 11233341_10153364491489545_8615975661417020165_n.jpg 12189145_10153364491529545_3989294857079595507_n.jpg 12191015_10153364491469545_8122998180139025695_n.jpg

It sucks when someone with enough knowledge to be able to build something like this, lacks the self respect to do it with professionalism and build a quality unit.

Yeah...it's all good, though. Enough looking back, focusing on the future which looks nice n' rosey now that it's in the right hands.

Update: NoL's uncovered yet another bundle of joy. From NoL: "electronics box looks like it's already seen bad days. Thats a "universal starter". Not the kind of thing for this compressor. Especially not long term"

He's continuing work tearing it down today. Should know where we stand later. 12233376_10153386430089545_56894420_n.jpg

Updated with more carnage:
20.jpg
21.jpg
View attachment 170955
View attachment 170956

Last edited:
NoL worked hard yesterday. Completed the cascade teardown and took a gander at the ss. His comments and photos of the horror show are below.

Have I told everyone lately how excited I am to have NoL taking care of these paperweights for me???

01.jpg

No way that doesn't leak. Thats after serious cleaning ha

02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

None of this was brazed using any nitrogen or purging gas...We've got trouble on that front.
Somehow you've got the very worst Scott unit.

I'm going to acid test both compressors but I think we know what the answer will be. That kind of no purge brazing reacts with the oil and makes acid which corrodes.
Also pretty sure your oil separator never was working. Way too much oil in the system after it.

There are definetly salvagable parts.That I can say. Condenser, fan, desuperheater coil, receiver, flex line, txv, gauges. That stuff all looks fine. Plate hx I'm not sure on. Depends if it survives un-brazing his pipes. Compressors we will see. Acid test then replace oil, seal, let sit for a day, retest. If oil is back to acidic then trouble.

Onward to the ss of joy!
01.jpg

At least the one doesn't look as bad!
02.jpg

Let's get that fan working...and a ground wire installed.

Your fan motor is indeed dead. Regardless of how bad it's wired.
03.jpg
Crazy
04.jpg

That wasn't me.
New base for this thing okay by you? Stupid plastic doesn't really work for me. My goal is not to have to recharge this one if it is okay on that front. Just new base, fix ups, rewire? I'll order up a new fan motor for now.

Fans running ! ****ty wiring ha Lol I'm in no way surprised. Hooking up gauges as I don't think there's much refrigerant in it. Guess we get to play the hole game with this one too.
05.jpg

That's..... that's..... I can't comprehend the shoddiness of the work :(

I was wondering if it would be cheaper/easier to build from scratch? It would surely take less time and effort.

I was wondering if it would be cheaper/easier to build from scratch? It would surely take less time and effort.

Not with how much some of those parts cost, especially on the SS that's in better condition.

Major update!!! Scott got in touch with me and is going to try to help out with this! Have put him and Adam in touch with each other so we'll see what happens.

Hearing from Scott was a HUGE surprise for me and I'm absolutely thrilled that he's stepping up for this. Thank you Scott!!! Feeling real good now with both these guys working together!!!

Major update!!! Scott got in touch with me and is going to try to help out with this! Have put him and Adam in touch with each other so we'll see what happens.

Hearing from Scott was a HUGE surprise for me and I'm absolutely thrilled that he's stepping up for this. Thank you Scott!!! Feeling real good now with both these guys working together!!!
Scott is the original builder correct?

Back