• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NoL's ss & cascade repair extravaganza

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks!

Went out to the fabulous PA yesterday to meet up with NoL and drop off my busted ss and cascade for repairs and upgrades. NoL has very kindly agreed to take on the work....this is essentially clean-up work of the poor job done by sdumper (the original build log for the cascade is here). Both units are completely dead atm, not sure what the issue is with the ss, the cascade has a stage 2 leak.

NoL's going to start tearing down the cascade in the next week and figure out where the leak is and take care of it. He'll also be working/looking at different ways to improve the load handling and temps on both. After having been essentially dead in the benching water these past bunch of months, I'm super excited so figured I'd create this thread to give updates, bounce ideas, post pics, etc.

Early days but NoL has provided a couple of ideas already. The first is something like what's described here. Another is setting the ss and/or cascade up so that the evap temp can be controlled (ie- variable temperature control). Besides repairs/mods to the ss and cascade, he also mentioned the possibility of modifying (adding a device) to the top of my dewar (thanks Witchdoctor!) that'll allow me to set a target temperature and the device will automatically control the flow of ln2 to the pot to hit and maintain a specific temperature.

VERY excited!!! Will update this thread as I get updates, pics, etc as NoL starts to work his way through.

HUGE thank you out to NoL for agreeing to take on this effort!!!!

Terms are not making sense to me currently but they sound cool so Subbed xD

Main idea is fix the single stage and cascade so I can get back to benching.

Add variable temp control as/where possible (ss and cascade 'do' 1 temperature only...roughly -50C for the ss, roughly -100C for the cascade) and increase how much load they can handle so they can be used for benching high power cpus and graphic cards. Exceeding the maximum load will swamp the capabilities of the ss/cascade rendering them basically useless (the temps go shooting WAAAAY up).

Just read through the OCN thread, what a s***ty guy...
Hate it happened to you FS, but as we all know NoL will get you fixed up!

Yeah, im totally clueless when it comes to extreme cooling, but learning, and these threads are the best material.
Will read the OCN thread after I get caught up on other classes.

Eek, just read the thread.

Not fun.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'll frequent here more often (I say that every few months! Ha!) and drop some updates or they'll get dropped through funsoul okay? Might take a bit of time as I run a pretty thick schedule these days, but we will get these running.

The plan at this point is to rip it all apart. Need to leak check. And need to figure out what I can get out of these compressors, condensers, evaps, etc. Hopefully I can dig off some paint and figure out model numbers based on size. From there we're going to figure out the costs and upgrades to put this thing back together.

Then we're going to rebuild these things properly.

PROPERLY.

PROPERLY! Key word there, you know, for scale.

I'm going to also video log quite a bit of this, and hopefully my meandering's and muttering's can show up and help people understand what we're doing a bit better.

Ask questions and I'll answer them.

Funsoul, think you can dig up the original project log if there was one?

Looking forward to Funsoul getting these running again as well as seeing the work getting done, Nol. :thup:

Thanks for stopping in NoL!
Can't wait to hear updates from you, it'll be good to see Funsoul back in the groove again.

Have I told you that I am SOOOO excited?!? hehe

Seriously...again NoL...thank you mucho mucho for helping me out with this mess! :)

I wonder how much 3rd party "spray sealant" will be found inside the piping.
Teardown log/pics would be awesome, if not video :p
If I have a fetish/thing i love most, its taking things apart lol.

This is about how bad I am:

Subbed because I plan on getting my hands on Brian's SS in the future. Might need some help with repair and tuning. :)

Subbed because I plan on getting my hands on Brian's SS in the future. Might need some help with repair and tuning. :)

NoL and Brian live less than 1/2 hour away from each other so that should be helpful.

Yeah...we're fortunate and even had a nice ln2 party at Witchy's this summer.

Well, after reading that at least I now have a better idea of why your SS and Cascade systems stopped working.

Didn't realized the build quality was so poor, or that they had broken down so many times.

Back