• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5p / 5930k - Bios OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Heh. Yessir. Also, like you said, it's a ton easier now than it used to be even just a few years ago (my last build).

It absolutely is. I think the most fun I've ever had overclocking was either AM3 or X58.

Spoke too soon. I made the mistake of moving to the next released bios from gigabyte (F21a) - and I can't maintain stability unless I bump voltages up. I even cleared CMOS and reset everything and started from scratch. Frustrating! Of course I can't roll back bc the bios is protected with this version - must be a new structure.

F21a almost bricked my board, it flashes both bios chips at the same time for whatever stupid reason and something happened during the flashing process and corrupted both chips
luckily I managed to reflash old bios (F2c) after trying about 20 times with q-flash and shorting out the pins on the main bios chip (SCLK & SI)

did you try F21?

F21a almost bricked my board, it flashes both bios chips at the same time for whatever stupid reason and something happened during the flashing process and corrupted both chips
luckily I managed to reflash old bios (F2c) after trying about 20 times with q-flash and shorting out the pins on the main bios chip (SCLK & SI)

did you try F21?

Wow. Unreal that it flashes both. When I called Gigabyte support, they hinted that both might have 21a on it - which seems completely screwed up to me. They also said this bios is only for the new 2016 CPUs, which isn't clearly stated - it should clearly say that if you are using a non 2016 CPU **DON'T USE THIS BIOS**. They pretty much told me I'm out of luck.

I'm trying to just use F21a right now and see if I can get some stable OCs going. Did you get to use it at all or did you immediately try to reflash? Curious how one of the reflashes seemed to take.

Last edited:
just corrupted about 35% in the flashing process using normal Q-Flash in the bios, so never got to use it

I found this thread http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyt...dual-bios-motherboard-if-flashing-failed.html
now unfortenly the bios chip used in the X99 board is different and does not have a HOLD pin, MX25L12873F http://www.datasheetarchive.com/dl/Datasheets-UR100/DSA3H008097.pdf

if you look on the second post, there is another mothod but doesnt work 100% of the time, so takes alot of attempts
use Q-Flash plus after shorting out the pins a bunch of times and the bios finally showed the recovery screen

Just putting a screenshot of that page in for reference purposes:
2016-02-02 19_00_27-GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 2011-3 - GA-X99-Gaming 5P (rev. 1.0).jpg

Yes I did some reading on that and I think most if not all Giga X99 boards are affected byt this . The new broawell E bios seems to be crippling the board for Haswell E . Things like cace and memory having fits etc...

I have no idea why but in Gigabyte even if there are 2 separate BIOS chips then they're somehow connected. On Z87 and Z97 when I had issues with one chip then usually 2nd one wasn't working so recovery from 2nd one wasn't possible. I also made RMA for 2 dead BIOS chips on one of the boards.
When you flash one BIOS then on some boards second chip is updated automatically. Personally I like more single BIOS but with manual recovery like ASUS has. Works much better and it's easier to fix it.

This was intentional on Gigas part. Since, IF your were updating to broadwell it wouldn't make sense to have the back up revert to the haswell BIOS.
I think as it stands the ONLY reason someone should update is if they're going to the new chip.

Next board I get will have one of those BIOS physical switches on it. Lesson learned. And also lesson learned to really understand the implications of a new bios before flashing.

The switch wouldn't have saved you on this one. This update flashed both chips regardless of switches. Normally a BIOS update would only update the main chip.

The switch wouldn't have saved you on this one. This update flashed both chips regardless of switches. Normally a BIOS update would only update the main chip.

True. Guess I meant in general to make fallbacks easier when both bios chips aren't updated.

good to know you can still revert but still on the hunt for a bug free bios for my board
guess I can try flashing the original F1 bios to see if it gets rid of the sleep bug

good to know you can still revert but still on the hunt for a bug free bios for my board
guess I can try flashing the original F1 bios to see if it gets rid of the sleep bug

Sleep bug?

Not sure BIOS flashing will get rid of it as, last I recall, it was a platform thing, not a BIOS problem.
When you flash one BIOS then on some boards second chip is updated automatically. Personally I like more single BIOS but with manual recovery like ASUS has. Works much better and it's easier to fix it.
I'm the opposite. With a properly switching (meaning doesn't update both can load one flash to the other in either direction) I prefer that. At least if one dies, there is another. That can't happen with a single BIOS.

Sleep bug?

basically when I turn on the computer (from a cold start) and then enter sleep mode is works fine (using hybrid sleep)
but when I wake it up and try to enter sleep mode a second time the pc crashes after it enters sleep mode and restarts itself (shows post screen)
because I am using hybrid sleep it just continues the session I had before the crash

so I can't enter sleep mode a second time without a restart or the mobo crashes

basically when I turn on the computer (from a cold start) and then enter sleep mode is works fine (using hybrid sleep)
but when I wake it up and try to enter sleep mode a second time the pc crashes after it enters sleep mode and restarts itself (shows post screen)
because I am using hybrid sleep it just continues the session I had before the crash

so I can't enter sleep mode a second time without a restart or the mobo crashes

I see, thanks. I think I have sleep/hibernate completely disabled.

it even happens when you hit shut down, after it shuts down it just restarts by its self
same thing for hibernation

so its a mobo/bios related problem

I've had no problems with sleep mode in either of my two Gigabyte X99 motherboards - the UD4P I bought when X99 first came out and a really cheap UD3P I'm using now. I had heard about the "sleep bug" and got Gigabyte support to email me a special BIOS for the UD3P. But I haven't had to use it because I've been using the sleep mode continuously for 2 months without any issues. Does this only occur for hybrid sleep?

Back