• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on G.Skill GNT series DDR4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futura2001

It's been a minute since I've built and overclocked a system from the ground up, okay... about a decade, and am in the process of building a box on a budget. So far I've got a 5820k and an MSI x99s SLI Krait edition and some hand-me-down parts to fill out most of the rig, but I still need some DDR4.

Having had good experiences with G.Skill in the past and no particular love for garish heatspreaders, I'm interested in finding out more about the naked GNT line, particularly the F4-2400C15Q-16GNT 4x4gb kit, and am having a very hard time finding any reviews or anecdotal overclocking results from the web, forums, or word of mouth.

Are the GNTs just naked GR* sticks? Furthermore, does anyone have any experiences overclocking them, or a recommendation for a 4x4gb kit within the same price range?

All depends what chips are inside. You can post a photo with memory chips or modules if you have them.
Recently most G.Skill kits are on Samsung IC so it gives hope on high OC but at more relaxed timings.
Regardless what IC is inside, you won't know how high it will go till you test it.

Count that most above average chips can make something like:
3000 15-16-16 or 15-15-15 1.35-1.37V
3200 16-17-17 or 16-16-16 1.35-1.37V
In some cases it may stuck at ~2800 and then manual timings are helping but not always.

X99 in general won't make much more than 3200 in quad channel mode and even if can make it then tighter timings at lower clock are better.

I don't think you will find any more detailed info on the forums because price of these "naked" kits is usually not much lower than higher series. Most DDR4 users are also enthusiasts or more demanding gamers so they pick rather expensive series or those better looking.

You can check some of my tests ( 1st post in general memory section or link in sig ) but I had no chance to test mentioned kit. There are other G.Skill kits on the list.
It's also easier to recommend something if you say what you expect from memory. High clock, tight timings, something balanced or simply low profile modules. If you are not overclocking for "sport" then any kit will be good as all of them will overclock at least up to 2800.

Thanks Woomack, that backs up a lot of the information I've been processing.

I've noticed from your reviews and others' results that there's kind of a sweet spot where moderately tight timings in the 2666 to 2800 range are outperforming slower clocks with tighter timings and faster speeds with looser timings, and from what I gathered it seems like Micron and Hynix chips seem to be the best for tight timings around 2400-2800. From the sound of it, maybe I should be looking at Kingston and Crucial instead of G.Skill and spend a bit more for a some binned chips.

I was looking at the g.skill kits are mainly that I've never had any problems with g.skill ram before, and basic as they are, they fit the black/white design of my motherboard more than than the other g.skill kits I was looking at. I'm in the process of building a bang for buck rig, and while aesthetics are taking a back seat to performance, if I didn't have to compromise, I would prefer to stick to a common theme, and it appears that's going to be white and black as much as possible for this build.

Back