• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG [MSI PRO MOD S3] - KRAIT VENOM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice!

Are you leaving the aluminium as is or are ya painting it?
Or maybe I'll have to wait to find out? :D

Cheers! Everything will be black in the end with bits of white, you will see :p

I am definitely watching this one, it has a lot of design metalworking that I will eventually be doing to mine.

Thanks mate! Working with aluminum like this is pretty cool :D

wP2jORK.jpg

Motherboard tray is in for test fitting and also so I can work on other stuff inside the case.

You can now see the orientation more clearly :)

Also please ignore any ugly screws for now and also the bare aluminum. In the end it will all be black.

8EQXpFM.jpg

ON1eGAj.jpg

You can see here the cutout I am going to make for a window on the back panel

2QbVQs1.jpg

Plenty of room for cables to connect to in the top

ukqBnE7.jpg

XcGArOn.jpg

ONlQcD8.jpg

And plenty of room for cables in the back :D

YgaEx7m.jpg

Now time to go work on a shroud!

Thanks for checking it out guys and stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

Wait, there are still feet, is it going to sit on the feet or the way it is in the last pic?

Looks like it's coming together to me!

Interesting configuration.

Wait, there are still feet, is it going to sit on the feet or the way it is in the last pic?

There are still feet and it will still go on those feet, just flipped it around for the pics. So the MB I/O will be at the top of the case

Having a compartment for the I/O cables is pretty ingenious.

Thanks :D I though that would be good to have with the I/O at the top :p

Thanks for the kind words guys! Stay tuned for more updates :D

wP2jORK.jpg

Hi guys,

The shroud for the build is ready.

It's from a 6mm thick piece of opal white acrylic. With some vinyl on it and an LED strip underneath, it should look pretty good :D

jHitcM8.jpg

0K4iAlO.jpg

4vGTw3d.jpg

7GnhZm5.jpg

3AY4rmI.jpg

zZs5DBI.jpg

p7fscIk.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,

Alex

Anything you touch with vinyl looks good! :D
Can;t wait to see the design you'll make

Haha thanks a lot :D

- - - Updated - - -

wP2jORK.jpg

Hi guys,

Back with another small update on this project.

I've laid most of the components down to sorta get a visual of things and see how I'm gonna paint things, make some covers, backplates and a lot of vinyl work. Everything to tie in to the black and white theme of the MSI PRO MOD S3 as well as the MSI Krait theme I've chosen :)

This is how I usually work, just put everything together and get a good look at things and see what I can modify. I never start a mod with a set plan or design, just an idea of how things could look and most of it gets developed as I work on the system. Seeing what works and what doesn't as well as getting new ideas. Sometimes a mod can turn out differently as to how I see it in my mind the first time I get an idea.

So what I have here is the Intel i5 6600K processor, 8GB of G.Skill DDR4, the MSI GTX 960 and on the motherboard you can see a Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 drive which will be the boot drive for this system. There is also an Intel 535 240GB SDD for some extra storage.

Sb3Yxcv.jpg

6aVgO4j.jpg

c0kJLgx.jpg

z8wNiL0.jpg

CvKb91J.jpg

W52uLJI.jpg

Firstly the RAM will definitely have to be painted white and I will most likely use white Plasi Dip on it just in case I will wanna take it back to stock in the future. I also have some spare ram covers from some Asus Sabertooth motherboards that I have. I will use two of those just to fill the other ram slots. If you're not sure what I mean you'll see in a future update :)

I will be making a custom acrylic cover for the M.2 drive as well as for the Intel SSD and also a backplate for the GPU. I will use 2mm thick white acrylic with black vinyl design.

I'm also thinking of making a simple I/O cover for the motherboard also from white acrylic.

Thanks for checking out this update and stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

Not gonna see the PSU in the final product, if I'm not mistaken. That's what the shroud's for, right?

You do work some magic though, Alex.

PSU is upside down hahaha :p

Coming along real nice now Alex!

Cheers! Hahaha yea that's how it looks like from the back but fan is at the bottom and the label on the other side would be the right side up :p

Lol probably so it can pull cool air from the bottom.

Yup :p

That's the only downside I see to having the PSU at the bottom. Label needs to be peeled off and flipped :)

It would be facing the right way on the front. They do it reversed so that you can have the label up on the front side whether the fan is at the top or bottom :)

I vote peeled off and left off :p

If I know Alex there will be some custom vinyl in this PSU's future. :)

Yea it might get some vinyl treatment but mostly won't be seen :)

Not gonna see the PSU in the final product, if I'm not mistaken. That's what the shroud's for, right?

You do work some magic though, Alex.

Thanks a lot! Yea it won't be seen under the shroud :)

Yeah... but he'll know it's there :p haha. He does great work for sure.

Thanks man :p

- - - Updated - - -

wP2jORK.jpg

Hi guys,

Did some work on the top panel and also made new side panels. 1.6mm aluminum sheets were used for this and everything was cut by hand with my trusty jig saw and moto saw as well as lots and lots of filing.

Hope you guys like how they turned out and don't worry I didn't forget about the dot in i from MSI haha I have a plan for that :p

hjBBr1h.jpg

TTWT3lR.jpg

As you can see I will use some small hinges to attach the top panel and some larger thumb screws in the front to secure it. There is also a cut out at the bank for cables to run through.

Should all look nice once it's all painted black :)

sagb01S.jpg

2450wux.jpg

C4rgixV.jpg

HkK7BHF.jpg

Here is the work I did on the side panels. I thought an MSI logo will look good on the back panel with some mesh behind it and also some lights. So I started cutting at it followed by lots of filing.

RpgQh4D.jpg

qNIYcPy.jpg

WM80koD.jpg

9KatZ8H.jpg

ICTjEcc.jpg

New windowed panel that will nicely show the motherboard area.

qD1fAwp.jpg

Pretty happy with the end result, I hope you guys agree! I will also have some hinges for the side panels as well, with thumb screws at the front to secure them :)

Thanks for checking it out and stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

Back