• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok, I am an idiot, and I really need help with something very stupid...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

takiwa

I am thinking about having DSL hooked up in a couple of weeks, and I need to know what to buy to do this. I will have 2 (possibly 3) computers sharing the connection. Do I need a router? Do I need an internal or external modem? Do they make a modem/router in one box, so to speak? I know nothing about these things, so talk plain, please...I am running XP, and will probably use MS Internet Connection Sharing if possible...the machines already share 56K, so what would I need to do to share DSL, and what hardware?

you will need a router.also a ethernet card for each puter and cables. linksys makes a nice system thats easy to set up

does the router have a modem in it? Or do I have to get the modem seperate? Like I said, I'm an idiot about this...I have NO IDEA what I am getting into here...:confused:

you don't need to get a router that just cost more

Just get a cheap 5 - 10 port hub and plug your external dsl modem into the uplink port and plug your other computers in the other ports

the easest way to share is though a router. There are modem/router combos usualy available though the dsl company one word exspesive. Best bet is request a modem that connects though a NIC and buy an inexspensive router. the router needs to be setup to create a ppoe connection.

Athlonman said:

Just get a cheap 5 - 10 port hub and plug your external dsl modem into the uplink port and plug your other computers in the other ports

only problem with that (as i understand it) is that each machine will still need it's own IP on the net.....so if his ISP doesn't support multiple IP's then i dont know if it'll work

A router creates a LAN and assigns each machine on the LAN it's own LAN IP but all the ISP sees is the router IP.......giving you internet connection sharing.

Athlonman said:

Sorry that wont work most dsl uses a pppoe conection and a hub/switch cant initiate a pppoe connection only a pc or a router can do this.

takiwa said:
damn...now I am REALLY lost....:confused:

On what.

To share a dsl connection, easest way is though a router. There are router/modem combos but they are exspensive. best bet is to get a modem that hooks to a NIC rather then the usb port. get an in-exspensive router. call the router company to see how to set it up for a P.P.P.o.E connection. What ever you do don't get a 4060 modem. They are the biggest POS modems out there. My job is tech support for a dsl company.

I did some looking around, and I have a question...If I get a PCI DSL modem (are they any good?), and put it in one machine, can I use windows ICS (just like I am now on 56K?) to share with the other machine? I would only need a router for more than 2 machines, right?

What i ment was you can use a hub if your dsl modem can give out a different ip address. I have this setup at home and it works great you can even share files too! The modem I have can give out up to 64 different ip address.:D

God I feel embarised asking this however...at least I did'nt have to post the thread. Read the above and let me see if I have this right. Went to Newegg and a linksys router is around $78. Checked on ethernet cards too, about $10. Now, If the modem (supplied by cable company) goes to the router and then one lie each to my son's and my computers ethernet cards, then I am in business, right? This will allow us to both be on line at the same time? No laughing allowed please. I really do not know....

takiwa said:
I did some looking around, and I have a question...If I get a PCI DSL modem (are they any good?), and put it in one machine, can I use windows ICS (just like I am now on 56K?) to share with the other machine? I would only need a router for more than 2 machines, right?

That setup will work and if you combine that with a hub or switch you could run quit a few computers on it. This would also work with a standard dsl modem that connected to a NIC. You have to run ICS on the pppoe connection not on the modem/NIC though.

Silver said:
God I feel embarised asking this however...at least I did'nt have to post the thread. Read the above and let me see if I have this right. Went to Newegg and a linksys router is around $78. Checked on ethernet cards too, about $10. Now, If the modem (supplied by cable company) goes to the router and then one lie each to my son's and my computers ethernet cards, then I am in business, right? This will allow us to both be on line at the same time? No laughing allowed please. I really do not know....

Yes it will. It should also let you share files and printers.

Athlonman said:
What i ment was you can use a hub if your dsl modem can give out a different ip address. I have this setup at home and it works great you can even share files too! The modem I have can give out up to 64 different ip address.:D

Witch modem do you have, maybe a efficent speedstream 5660

Whats up Overclockers,

Takiwa going back to your original question.The company your going
to sign-up with will supply you with a modem.If they give you a choice
to choose modems,I reccommend the 3com shark fin.Its what I use and my
downloads/uploads are awesome.It also has ethernet/usb option.Use the
ethernet,less problems.The service will also supply an ethernet card.
I use the 3com 1211tx 10/100,very durable(thats another thread).As far
as routers go,you can spend the money or get creative(not appropriate
dialogue for this forum).If you choose the router way I suggest getting an netgear rp114 cable/dsl router.It has a four port switch,
web filtering,switched hub,firewall.I think it was around $130 or so.
If you dont own a hub you'll need a router that has switched ports,so
this one covers the bases.Anyways welcome to dsl/cable,I dont even no how I used dial-up before,what a difference.Hope this helps bro laters

Last edited:
easiest thing to do is get your dsl modem from the dsl company and buy a 5 port hub (routers, switches, and bridges all do the same but cost more), buy some cat5e (i suggest getting the linksys network in a box as it comes with a hub, 2 NICs and 2 15ft cat5e cables to support the 100mb throughput). the dsl modem you'll get will most likely be a crappy USB modem, if they offer you other models, take another one that's not USB. after you have the hub, modem and NICs installed, you have to set each computer's internal IP (usually done already but they all get set to the same IP which you have to change), then you have to set your machine (i assume you're going to be the gateway computer) to be the first IP on the network (ie. 192.168.0.1 and the others are the same except the 1 changes) and you normally have to set the subnet (use 255.255.255.0, it allows for the most IPs on the network, roughly 196 IPs). then you have to set the other computers to use the gateway computer as their DNS and gateway.

then do not use MS's ICS software, it's horrible and sucks. i suggest downloading and using Sygate Home Network. it's easy to use and has little to no overhead on the network. after you have all the IPs and the gateway set up and sygate installed, you're ready to go. all of this can take about an hour to install the modem, NICs, and set up all the software and IPs.

here is kinda what it will look like

i fogot to put in the modem

i would have saved it as a gif but the damn IT police here at school wont let you save a gif to the desktop ( but you can save bmp go figure)

anyway mabey this will help you visualize it

Back