• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well, I am going to need new bookshelf speakers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NZKshatriya

DMCA Violated Member
Found a good way to test my sound system.

Problem is.....I basically killed my front speakers by enjoying this video too much.
The high pitch from the supersonic waves of the exhaust gasses from the shuttle engines/boosters seemed to overpower the little speakers I have lol.

lol, the internals were vietnam war era Sansui SP-30's. I ended up changing the one way 5" woofer with a 5" Kenwood 2-way car-speaker, as both the woofer and 2" tweeter were dead.

My dad picked them up new in Japan when the USS Constellation stopped there once.

my rear speakers are old Hitachi HSA-3121's they seems to handle it, tho one of them is close to needing one of the mid-range speakers replaced.

There aren't any mismatched components.

I kept the boxes, as they are real wood. And simply replaced the internals with a single Kenwood 2-way.
resoldered the connections from the terminals on the outside to the connections on the speaker itself, only had 18awg wire in purple, but meh, it works.

Seeing as the terminals on the back are screw down, I have soldered spade connectors onto the speaker wires I am using. Just makes it easier to reconnect if I move them.

Those Pioneers look good.
Also going to keep my eyes open for good thrift shop items *always find speakers there that people can't take with them*

Last edited:
Oh. I thought you just replaced one of two drivers in the cabinets. I'm sure you can still get a pretty noticeable improvement in sound quality for a reasonable price. My cobbled together computer audio is a late 70s Onkyo receiver and pair of 30 lb monkey coffin speakers of the same vintage as your Sansui cabinets. It's actually the stereo I put together for my daughter to listen to loud stuff. LOL As soon as she's settled in a new place I'll have to consider digging out my stereo. LOL

Yeah, as the tweeters were dead, I simple removed them from both cases, and went with a 2-way speaker, instead of messing with the wiring of a 1-way woofer, with a small tweeter and its accompanying capacitor.

Too much work for what I was intending them for lol.

The rear Hitachi's are all original parts, I used to scare the heck outta myself as a little kid....would toddle up to the hi-fi, crank up the volume, turn it on..........and run away freaked out, crying lol.

Back