• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 390 dx12.1 support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Yes yes, GCN supports dx12.

Does the new 390 support 12.1 though? Thats kind of a different animal. My google-fu isnt working because most people don't know the difference, and I cant find a straight answer from a reliable source. Any input appreciated.

Could easily have had a firmware update in there somewhere.
GCN is their microarchitecture. A simple bios/fw flash would not make a GCN 1/1.1 card GCN1.2. There are things in the physical architecture and how it works that would prevent such a thing. Otherwise, either AMD would be doing it and further milking their rebrands, or users like us would be doing it.

Sure did, nothing in there *directly* about 12.1 support, merely "dx12 support". (unless im missing something?)
His link shows it. Look at the table in the 4th post down (by black zion). There is a little reading between the lines (like knowing what GCN arcs can do what and what the card in question is), but its there!). ;)

Also, an excerpt from black zion's link in his post says it straight up:
The issue has been further confused by claims that Maxwell is the only GPU on the market to support “full” DirectX 12. While it’s true that Maxwell is the only GPU that supports DirectX 12_1, AMD is the only company offering full Tier 3 resource binding and asynchronous shaders for simultaneous graphics and compute. That doesn’t mean AMD or Nvidia is lying — it means that certain features and capabilities of various cards are imperfectly captured by feature levels and that calling one GPU or another “full” DX12 misses this distinction. Intel, for example, offers ROV at the 11_1 feature level — something neither AMD nor Nvidia can match.

EDIT:

Another link...http://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-gc...-level-111-gcn-10-feature-level-120-gcn-1112/

In a nutshell, only AMD cards with GCN1.2 (Nano/Fury/Fury X - AKA Volcanic Islands and R9 285 - AKA Hawaiian Islands: Tonga core only) support DX12.1 as they are GCN1.2 architecture. One wont see a ton of DX12 games out for quite a while anyway. So those owners won't be missing much of anything for the next year really.

Last edited:
good info, thanks ED. I wasn't sure on how or what needed to be different to support the change from 12.0 to 12.1. Man I wish the fury was 8gb, this would be a no brainer then lol

Back