• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Dell laptop black screen on start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC101

I recently upgraded my Dell Vostro 1500 to Win10 from Win7. Do not remember if it was immediately after the upgrade or after a few uses, the Windows resolution was down to 640×480 from the original 1280×800, and it would not even give me the option to change it back in Control Panel.

So I went to Device Manager and uninstalled the driver for the graphics card (which is a 8600GT). I thought the windows would reinstall it or I could reinstall it after the reboot.

There came the big surprise. The laptop rebooted to a black screen. I mean there was the black screen the first thing after the laptop is powered up. Even the big DELL logo screen is black and stays black. I have tried to reboot many times, I can hear the booting sound like before, but there is always nothing on the screen.

Yes, I have tried safe mode, still got nothing. I have tried to hook it up to a second monitor and got no input.

So somehow the uninstallation of the graphics card driver in windows stop the data ouput of the graphics card all together even at the most basic level. With this (always) black screen, I can't do anything to fix it since I can't see anything.

What should I do?

Load the installer on a flash drive, boot to it, and run startup repair from it.

Which installer? The OS? I can't get anything show up on the screen, not even the boot screen or safe mode. :(

So not even the BIOS? You have a hardware issue then.

Not even the BIOS, not even the logo screen before it.

However, since it happened right after I uninstalled the graphics driver, the problem looks suspiciously as the direct resault of the uninstallation of the driver rather than the hardware related issue.

I have to note it again that the laptop seem to boot fine judged by the familiar sounds after powering up. I just could see nothing on the screen.

Last edited:
Sheer, dumb luck.

If you can't even get a BIOS screen to appear, it's a hardware issue. No doubt about that.

Back