• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wireless network w/o access point

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shooter0220

I'm considering wireless network and short on cash. So I want to connect 2 computers with 2 wireless nic cards directly. I was just wondering what would be the disadvantages for not having the access point. I dont need printer sharing, just internet sharing.

as far as i know, it won't work!!! 'cos think of an AP as a bridge or a intersection. both of ur wireless card is "only" sending info out, and it needs some sort of traffic controler to "re-direct" all the traffic to it's destination. no saying sharing the net.

i could be wrong....

That will work.

Just run the cards in ad-hoc mode, set one machine up with ICS and you are good to go.

Another way to go would be to get a card that uses an intersil prism chipset and get the nifty little utility from the chipset manufacturer that turns a standard card into an AP. Presto, problem solved.

Links:
seattle wireless project hardware page

Thanks for replies.

Now I have some options:

1. Get 2 pci cards.

2. Get 1 card and an access point.

3. Get 1 pci card and 1 PCMCIA/PCI combo. (for future laptop use)

So I guess it's between 2 cards or an accesspoint and a card.

I need some help on the decision. And which brand should I buy?

Back