• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WhiteElephant Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SwartHack

Babysitter for OCF Lounge Day Care, Still a bad-as
…..We join SwartHack in the middle of story time in the OCF Member’s Lounge Day Care.
Unbeknownst to most member’s, SwartHack joins the kids every week to share with them his unique views on life.
All the littles are here. Johan22 ½, EarthPup, Janus33 ½, NOATMCARD, Jr. Scottie, Woomack Jr., hokieprep, and even little amoeba Blaylock Jr.

………………….
“… and that kids is how Johan45 and Blaylock vanquished the evil denizens of Overclockers.net in the 2015 Team cup.”

Collective “ooooohhhhhh” from the kids..

“But Mr. Hack, how many volts did they need? How many watts?”, asked Jr. Scottie.

“Lots and lots, and they had a magic PSU with unlimited watts”

Collective “aaaahhhhhhh”

“What about Team Russia? What are we gonna do about them?”, inquiries EarthPup, “My Dad says we will get them next year…”

“Well, you little hacker. Your Dad is very powerful and sincere in his desire, but they are all Commies, so there is nothing we can do about them”

“What’s a Commie, Mr. Hack?” interjects NOATMCARD.

“Well, that’s a story for another time kids.”

“aaaawwwwww, Please Mr. Hack!” choruses the group.

“No no, kids, but I will tell you about my plans for a new Project Log for my WhiteElephant project and all the cool things I am doing to this old AMD server.”

“NNoooooooooooooooo!”, the kids groan.

“We wanna hear about Commies!!”, protests Johan22 ½, “Your project logs blow! You promised that TheBianch was gonna be the last one.”

“Now now kids, you know OC education is a part of Day Care. And project logs are a good way to share what you are doing.
Now go stabilize your RAM settings and then off to nap time.
Next time we’ll pick up on the WhiteElephant and see its amazing transformation into possible legend….”

“aaawwww”, “I hate RAM tuning”, exclaims Woomack Jr.
………………………………………………………………………………………….

..…Join us next time at OCF Member’s Lounge Day Care, where we will have picture time and treats.
Cheers

I don't know what to do with this. I'll figure it out after I can get off the floor and stop this maniacal , hysterical laughter before I start having convulsions. :rofl:

How long did it take to think of all that???
I'm laughing so much!

Cosmetic/Functional Changes

….We join OCF Member’s Lounge Childcare and chaos is reigning supreme.

All the kids are completely out of control.
Its clean-up time after working on their bench projects, and SwartHack is beside himself.

“...guess I shouldn’t have brought all that mountain dew”, he mutters to himself dejectedly.

“Dangit Jr. Scottie, Stop taking apart other people’s mobos!!

“And you Johan22 ½, you stop sabotaging other’s projects so they catch fire!!”

Both give sideways glances with little recognition.

“And will someone grab Blaylock Jr.!!!!, he got out of his aquarium again!”
(now in his third emergent larval metamorphosis stage)

“Common guys! “, implores Janus33 ½, “Let’s all listen to Mr. Hack and settle down”.
With no acknowledgement, he looks at me pleadingly.
Meanwhile a fight breaks out between NOATMCARD and hokieprep over what they both perceive is the “best” SATA cable.

SwartHack, with fists clenched and bulging forehead viens, authoritatively exclaims,
“FOR THE LOVE OF OHMS’s LAW!!! GET YOUR THINGS PUT AWAY AND GET IN YOUR PLACES FOR STORY TIME!”

Silence! Mixed with rattling and shuffling, the kids quickly get in their places.

“Thank you kids. Now today we are going to look at the recent progress on WhiteElephant, and what I am planning.
If you all remember, we were looking into WhiteElephant in my previous Modding thread"
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/761217-The-White-Elephant

“That old piece of ****!”, laughs EarthPup, “Its older than my Dad.”

“Language!! And its shiat if you want to get your point across and bypass the filter.
And I'll tell your Dad you called him old!"

“Sh!t works too!”, adds Johan 22 ½.

“..and Sh1t”, interjects Woomack Jr.

Laughs and giggles…

“Common guys, Please!!” pleads Janus33 ½

“Yes please, let’s get started.
And remember, ‘Old School Rules!’, and also always remember that the goal here will be to overclock this this till it burns up.
Then we can throw in something else.”

Oooooohhhhhhh…..ccccooooooolll

“Lights please…”
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
So once I got the OS installs figured out and was able to give a few passes using some FSB tools, I was intrigued enough to do something more.
Especially after a little research into this G5 server chip which seems to run the whole FSB show and then some.
May be possibilities to tweak it some more.

And if I was gonna do that, we needed to make the case compatible for the Corsair H80iGT I have laying around,
and if I was gonna do that, then I needed to improve airflow,
and get a better PSU, etc,
and of course, make it look cool in the process.

For all that, the first thing I needed was a little room, so we break out the specialty rivet removal tools I have and the dremel tool
IMG_1086.JPG IMG_1095.JPG

Before and after hackeneering using heavy duty foil tape and some metal epoxy.
The PSU was not standard size so needed to clean that up and needed ventilation in back and front
IMG_1096.JPG IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG IMG_1135.JPG

Of course we need a window, something different
IMG_1105.JPG IMG_1110.JPG

And then a paint job!
Quick note here. My original idea was to take various nuts, etc
and tie them to a rope, take my blowtorch, and whatever else and just distress the crap out of the exterior.
I did not go this way as it seems a little daunting.
If I ever actually build a case from scratch I would like to do something similar to what I did here, but with real hammered steal, and all beat up and rusty,
looking like it just came out of an old shed. But all slick and nice, kinda like a rat-rod....

Anyway, my point being that the products I used were eventually Rustoleum Metalic Titanium for the inside and Black Hammered Steel for the outside.
The hammered steel turned out to be a challenge to work with. Especially obtaining an even coat/effect, especially after drying.

SPeaking of which, once you get a desired result after a 1 hour dry time, don't touch it, don't breath on it, don't fart near it.
Leave it be for AT LEAST 48 hours, and after that be careful. Takes a long time for all that latex and crap to fully cure.
I did not try to use a heat gun on it. In the end I got pretty good results, and ended up with some interesting patterns.
Its hard to see in the pics due to the shine/gloss. I wish it had more of a satin finish.
Enough about painting, if anyone has any questions about the process I went through, please ask...

First inside

IMG_1143.JPG IMG_1151.JPG

Then outside(No in process pics of painting the outside as I was frustrated with getting the right results and said screw the pics)
IMG_1200.JPG IMG_1198.JPG

And my favorite part, the reveal and tape removal

IMG_1206.JPG IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1221.JPG

Yeah, the cover needs a little TLC before mounting the window.
Beaded up on the edge a bit and if you look close you can see my big fat finger marks on it.
It seemed dry and was not tacky, but refer to my previous warning.
No touchie too soonie!!!

IMG_1202.JPG

I've had this smoked plexy sheet laying around for some time.
IMG_1225.JPG

And finally, what about the front panel. Well...
Pre-cut .375" thick clear plexy to replace the factory bezel insert.
This should be fun.
IMG_1222.JPG IMG_1224.JPG

So there we are.

Join us next time at the OCFMLCC story time to hear "Putting It All Together" or "Fun With Plexy".

Oh, and the kids? They are all asleep;)

Salud

stewart.gif

Excellent Story Mr. Hack.

I love the hack mod on this guy. I love seeing chopped up cases being used. There's nothing wrong with the steel it just need to be re-shaped for the new parts is all.

Muy bueno!

Assembly and The New Kid

…..............................................
Today, as we join OCF Member’s Lounge Childcare, there is a palpable tension that permeates the air.
The kids are loosely gathered around their workbenches.
They are supposed to be cleaning up for story time, but talk amongst themselves in hushed tones.
A new kid is being checked in…

“Who is that kid?”, whispers hokieprep to no one in particular, “And, who is ole HackDick talking to?”

The kids giggle covertly as hokieprep uses their secret name for Mr. Hack.
They like him, but admittedly he can be a little much at times, and they think it’s funny.
Unbeknownst to them, SwartHack knows their secret name for him and doesn’t mind.
He thinks it’s funny too.

“That guy talking to Mr. Hack is Silver_Pharoah.” Offers Janus 33 ½, “That must be his kid.”

“Oh yeah, I’ve heard of that guy!”, chimes EarthPup, “My dad says he is some kind of Nomad wacko or something weird like that.
Lives in the middle of nowhere and makes his own electricity and stuff.”

“Makes electricity??”, exclaims Scottie Jr, “How many Volts? What’s the inverted capacitance?”, he adds excitedly.

Blank Stares…

“Middle of nowhere?! How the hell did they get here?”, NOATMCARD asks…

Woomack Jr. slowly responds, looking at no one, “Where is here anyway, and how did all of us get here?”
Blank stares and shrugs around…

“Oh crap man, don’t start with that stuff! It really freaks me out!”, NOATMCARD cries out.

“The kid’s name is Au_Falcon”, Johan 22 ½ offers, “I heard he was in reform school or something”.

“AaaahhhYoouuuu Falcon???” sputters hokieprep, trying to pronounce it phonetically.

“No you bithead, just Au!”

“Hey be quite, ssshhhh, here they come….”

“Hey Guys! Get finished cleaning up and get to your spots for story time.”, SwartHack proclaims.
“Today we have a new class member. Everyone say hi to Au_Falcon.”

Vague glances, waves and inaudible hellos emanate from the group.

“He is going to be joining us while his father goes electricity gathering.
So please welcome him to the group as one of us.”

Au_Falcon survey’s the OCFMLCC and its student body, casually moving to take a spot and exclaims grinning, “What up all you ByteHeads!?”

Shocked, the group is dead silent…

As Silver_Pharoah is leaving, SwartHack leans toward him and murmurs, “He is going to be just fine here!”
Silver_Pharoah replies with a wry smile and is gone.

“OK kids”, story time, “Can someone move Blaylock Jr’s cage over here please, and get the lights?”

Blaylock Jr., now a fully developed adolescent, is kept in his cage until he learns to stop killing and skinning forum guests.

“Wait a second!”, interrupts Au_Falcon, “Where are all the chicks around here? Aren’t there any girls man?”

Blank stares and shrugs around…

“We are all guys here.” Janus 33 ½ proclaims.

“That’s what you all think” chimes in SwartHack, “but in reality you just don’t really know, do you?....”

“Ahhhh man! Huh whaaat?”, yelps NOATMCARD, “now that is going to freak me out too…”

“Lights please…………”

.....................................................................................................................................
So we start off with a new PSU to replace the factory 356W.
Since adding the AIO cooling, gCard, larger exhaust fan, SSD fans, etc. I knew we needed more juice.
I went with a Fatality 550. I really hope it works right!
I say this as the factory psu is pretty spendy. Not sure what, if anything is special about it.
Check out this one for $450! I guess if the Fatility works, I got this for sale. Anyone?

http://www.impactcomputers.com/460025-001.html

I did post the mobo before I started all the effort.

IMG_1238.JPG

And now the AOI. This is what got me going in the first place.
That and "The MOC"!!!
Had to do some pretty extreme hackineering to get the block mounted.
Especially after breaking off the factory(unreplaceable) backplate mount post.
Luckily, the CPU mount form factor was very close to LGA115x, and I was able to use a modded block plate to match up with a hacked post.
The fit is actually quite bonus. We'll see when it fires up what kind of temps we get.

IMG_1245.JPG

Before we put in the SSDs, need to clean up a bit in prep for SATA and perf power.
The SSD fans came with the big white ugglies. I try to eliminate them at any cost
with my special brand of HackInc cable mods..

So this..

IMG_1301.JPG

Into this..
IMG_1312.JPG

And then all hooked up and ready to go! I hope!!!
Just need to do a final once over of all connections, etc and hit the juice...

IMG_1320.JPG
IMG_1319.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG

Front with the panel bezel. Need to work on this.
Plan to trim away the unneeded cross members, etc before poly install.

IMG_1330.JPG IMG_1328.JPG

And, so far so good...
IMG_1335.JPG

"..so there we are kids! As you know Mr. Hack is always open to questions, comments and disparaging remarks."

A few hands shoot up, "Yes Johan 22 1/2, you have something...?"

"Uh, yeah, uh..... Who cuts your hair man?"

..... fade out to hardy har bwah ha ha.....

Join us next time at the OCFMLCC for..

"Fire that biatch up already!" or "Fun with Poly"

Hasta Entonces!

Been watching the thread since the start, and I love how hacked up the case to make it work
There's something about DIY mods like this that just feel better than buying a case that works from the start. :thup:

+1 to what ATM said, looking great! Would love to see the case with the plexi installed!

Also like how Blaylock is in a cage hehehehee :rofl:
Your story skill are top notch :attn:

Note from the Editors

Note From the Editors.

It appears the caricaturing of certain characters is resulting in accurate portrayals.
Albeit remoteness or the fact of being Canadian does not totally elucidate the
complete lack of general cultural awareness. Be that as it may, the editors do wish to provide those
of cultural obliviousness these edyfing tidbits of information. In hopes you may search out
some semblance of exposure to good entertainment. We can only hope, You do have Internet
for goodness sake...

Predator, and the Predator franchise are quite salient.
The first Predators movie, "Predator" 1987 starred Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers and Jesse Ventura.
And was an instant Actiom/Sci-Fi classic

Predator 2 (1990), with Danny Glover, was not so great.

Alien vs. Predator (2004), is an interesting and entertaining link between the Predators and Aliens and combines those franchises.

Predators (2010), with Adrien Brody, Alice Braga, Danny Trejo, Walt Goggins, Oleg Taktarov, Topher Grace, and Laurence Fishburne.
Is a great movie, inovative plot, and opens up the doors more to who the predators are more possible story lines.

If you really want to blow your mind, watch Prometheus, but you have to have a basic understanding of both the Alien and Predator franchises to get it.

Thank You.
ed.

Note From the Editors.

It appears the caricaturing of certain characters is resulting in accurate portrayals.
complete lack of general cultural awareness. Be that as it may, the editors do wish to provide those
of cultural obliviousness these edyfing tidbits of information. In hopes you may search out
some semblance of exposure to good entertainment. We can only hope, You do have Internet
for goodness sake...

The first Predators movie, "Predator" 1987 starred Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers and Jesse Ventura.

Alien vs. Predator (2004), is an interesting and entertaining link between the Predators and Aliens and combines those franchises.

Predators (2010), with Adrien Brody, Alice Braga, Danny Trejo, Walt Goggins, Oleg Taktarov, Topher Grace, and Laurence Fishburne.
Is a great movie, inovative plot, and opens up the doors more to who the predators are more possible story lines.

If you really want to blow your mind, watch Prometheus, but you have to have a basic understanding of both the Alien and Predator franchises to get it.

Thank You.
ed.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Note From the Editors.

for goodness sake...

Thank You.
ed.

Combo of remoteness and general lack of interest in the whole movie scene.

Please pass my thanks on to the editors for providing (those living under a rock) these bits of info that help make society make sense for (those under said rock) :D

..... as we join SwartHack in the cyberspace of the OCF Member's Lounge Childcare, all is quite! No kids and he is alone...

With last week's Voltasgiving and the upcoming Faradays the childcare is closed until after the New Cycle.

This does not mean time off for SwartHack!

He has come here for sollitude and to ponder his latest dilema with the WhiteElephant.

A finicky POST/BMC that has him worried.

If he can't fix it in time he knows the kids will be devistated...

He even sucuumbed to interloping in the HP Enterprise Proliant forums, they do not seem ammused.

With a furrowed brow, he resets the CMOS and cold restarts once more...

Wait to find out what happens or help SwartHack @

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/767249-Post-BMC-problem-with-old-school-ML115-G5

Hasta Entonces

Back