• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Correct way to shutdown a server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
-h does it too I guess. and that is one I know I tried, and it left the fans spinning.

Funny thing is Im trying these out one by one as folks suggest them, but didnt want to do that to see what the right answer would be :) I guess i just feel like i have more time now that I have one working option -- now I can tinker with the other options

so far -P and -h will do the complete shutdown. -k leaves the fans spinning and
Code:
shutdown now
with no arguments also leaves the fans spinning.

I know ive got a working solution, but should I be concerned about this behavior? is it indicative of a botched install/download/hardware component? Thanks again gents!

Code:
OPTIONS
       The following options are understood:

--help
           Prints a short help text and exits.

-H, --halt
           Halt the machine.

-P, --poweroff
           Power-off the machine (the default).

-r, --reboot
           Reboot the machine.

-h
           Equivalent to --poweroff, unless --halt is specified.

[SIZE=5]       -k
           [I][U][B]Do not halt, power-off, reboot[/B][/U][/I], just write wall message.[/SIZE]
-k says it will not shutdown, power off, or reboot, and it is just for writing a message. It is working exactly as intended.

The default for "shutdown" might be different since you aren't using the same OS.

I read it differently. Do not halt -do- power off...etc. meaning that it was to power off and not to halt. Assumed halt to be like a forced freeze. As always a little reading might have saved me from this :)

It must be the OS, but Ive different linux distros have had different broken effects from various things. usually a botched install/download and rarely a problem inside the OS yet still I wondered. Thanks for your help everyone

I'm not sure why "shutdown now" does not work on your install, but "shutdown -h now" should do a full shutdown and "shutdown -r now" should restart the system.

I suspect "shutdown now" (without the "-h") is making the PC shut down in a pre-1996-esque way, back when it was normal to wait for a screen saying that it's safe to turn it off manually.

Back in the 486 days, you had to turn it off manually, after you got a screen saying that it's safe to do so.

Back