• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unexpected power surges issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

norumjr

So my Asus motherboard is constantly shutting off my PC, saying it is because of unexpected power surges and because of the protection system and all that. It has gotten so bad that I am unable to even log on to my Pc and I am genuinely terrified for the consequences. I recently upgraded my cpu cooler to a Coolermaster hyper 212 Evo, but I have been told that my power supply (750W) should be enough. I appreciate any responses, as I am completely lost and have no idea what to do.

Cpu: Intel core i5-4690k
Psg: cooler master rs-750-amaa-b1
Gpu: gigabyte gtx 970 4gb
Storage: Seagate 1 tb
Memory: crucial 4 GB (x2)
Motherboard Asus Z97-ar
CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo

Have you tested the PSU with a multimeter?
Where are you located? Is your power clean?
Is the system overclocked?

I have not tested the psu with a multimeter, but I will try. I live in Norway and almost all of our power is renewable, if that is what you meant. The system is not overclocked.

I have not tested the psu with a multimeter, but I will try. I live in Norway and almost all of our power is renewable, if that is what you meant. The system is not overclocked.

I mean; do you have a lot of issues with brown-outs and/or surges?

I have quite a few problems with surges when talking about the PC, as I said I can't even log on at times, but if you meant my house then no. There have been no recent power surges on that front.

Yes, your house... power surges at your house. It does not matter the source of the power, be it renewable or not.

What do you mean by 'surges when talking about the PC'... are you not talking about power? Please explain.

Again...
Does it do this at someone else's house (different power source)?

I am talking about power. Power surges, which is what the asus security system is claiming happening to my pc.

Sound like either bad caps in the PSU or motherboard causing it to shut down randomly, as the op already said it's only their PC and nothing else experiencing problems.

Sound like either bad caps in the PSU or motherboard causing it to shut down randomly, as the op already said it's only their PC and nothing else experiencing problems.

That he knows of. A refrigerator and TV are nowhere near as susceptible to power issues as a computer. Before playing the find-and-swap game, test the system somewhere else, as ED suggested. Just because you don't notice power issues doesn't mean they aren't there. My APC battery backup kicked on 4 times this weekend to protect my computer from electrical noise, and nothing else even flinched.

Speaking of battery backup, a UPS will also rule out power issues, and they're a great investment.

If trying it at a friend's house/using a UPS doesn't stop the shutdowns, I'd see about borrowing a PSU to swap into the rig. If that doesn't fix it, it's probably the board.

That he knows of. A refrigerator and TV are nowhere near as susceptible to power issues as a computer. Before playing the find-and-swap game, test the system somewhere else, as ED suggested. Just because you don't notice power issues doesn't mean they aren't there. My APC battery backup kicked on 4 times this weekend to protect my computer from electrical noise, and nothing else even flinched.

Speaking of battery backup, a UPS will also rule out power issues, and they're a great investment.

If trying it at a friend's house/using a UPS doesn't stop the shutdowns, I'd see about borrowing a PSU to swap into the rig. If that doesn't fix it, it's probably the board.

Nailed it!

Back