• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3: R they going to B making faster variants?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wut iz wif t3h l337 speak? R U 10? :p

A quick trip to newegg and entering "DDR3" and sorting by fastest speed shows DDR3 3100 out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...me=Desktop Memory&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1.

I was trying to crank out the post as quickly as possible, so I was using my texting mode.

That DDR3 @ 3100 has better latency specs than my DDR4 @ 2800.

Is it pretty easy to run DDR3 @ 3100 on CPU's like Sandybridge, Ivybridge, SB-E and IB-E or the AMD CPU's?

Thanks ED.

Will they make any faster? I doubt it at this point. Consider DDR4 is already in both the HEDT platform and mainstream.

Amd cpus.. not so much. IB/Haswell should, yes.

Already answered the part about faster... I doubt it.

There were 3200 kits on the market but they're really pointless because of how performance is scalling. Higher clocked kits require single sided modules and that means lower performance, not to mention slower access time because of worse timings. Many CPUs will have problems to run stable with 3000+ DDR3.
Since market is moving to DDR4 then we will only see higher capacity DDR3 ( and we actually see it happening for nearly 2 years ). Frequency will stabilize at ~1600-2400. I don't think we will see any enthusiast grade DDR3 anymore. There are only cheaper "gaming" series but these are usually at about 2133.

You can't compare DDR3 and DDR4. DDR4 has wider internal bus, different IMC and many other adjustments so at the end it will be faster than DDR3 even though timings look worse.

High frequency DDR3 ( like 2800+ ) is pure marketing. DDR3-2133 double sided modules = ~DDR3-2800 single sided ... at this scalling, higher performance double sided 2400-2600 kits will be as fast as single sided 3200.
Almost all available 2800+ kits were based on Hynix CFR/MFR single sided modules. There are single exceptions with 2x8GB kits.
Right now on the market there are no higher frequency MFR. If they're in stores then leftovers from older series. Simply market won't invest in improving DDR3 in any other way than higher capacity.

AMD = max official clock 1866, max scalling not much above 2133 and this is also the point where memory controllers are starting to lose stability.
SB = max clock ~2133, IMC can't make more
SB-E = almost the same as SB
Ivy = in most cases won't run above 2666 stable
Ivy-E = the same as Ivy
Haswell = max ~3200 on good IMC but there is no point to set anything past 2666 ( depends from IC )

Back