• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

prepping for oculus rift

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
a few of my rigs have upgraded to win 10.
I am going to buy into oculus rift on release.
might this rig still be valid at that time or am I looking at a 980, or whatever is the top card at that time?

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9059184

Thank you for your time and input.

Id say no to my understanding. Occulus seems to be on the scale of 4k, so it'll probably work with diminished settings ofc. SLI might be prudent if DX12 lets you stack memory.

from what I can gather mem stacking will never happen because of the way video cards and sli/crossfire work, they both produce the same "picture" and some how it winds up on my screen, to stack memory they would have to produce alternate "pictures" then one card would send it to the screen and then the other would send the next frame.

from what I can gather mem stacking will never happen because of the way video cards and sli/crossfire work, they both produce the same "picture" and some how it winds up on my screen, to stack memory they would have to produce alternate "pictures" then one card would send it to the screen and then the other would send the next frame.

It's definitely a big "if" for now. Both mantle and dx12 promise "memory stacking"... as long as the game supports it. I have no clue how it would work, only that its "supposed" to work. (dont shoot the messenger lol)

you're safe, what I know about vram would leave plenty of space on the head of the pin.

I think they're recommending mostly AMD cards for Oculus right now, though I saw somewhere that the 970 is listed as "minimum", along side AMD's 290.

That is why the method will likely be some form of AFR (Alternate Frame Rendering) where one card renders the odd frames, the other, even frames.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_frame_rendering

Here is NVIDIA and AMD cards working together in DX12... Note the talk about AFR in there on p2: http://anandtech.com/show/9740/directx-12-geforce-plus-radeon-mgpu-preview

I hear also that it is AMD in the lead on VR stuff. I vaguely recall something about latency was a lot lower with them at the moment.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd wait until release and when there is software available for it (and nVidia and AMD have a chance to really craft drivers that will take advantage of it and the rest of the VR releases that will be happening within the next year (mainly the HTC/Valve Vive)

Back