• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need my ATI V8800 card to be recognized as HD 5870 .. How ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mohamed Shams

Hi everyone .. I'm new here and I need to install Radeon drivers on my Firepro V8800 .. I know that it is a workstation card but I don't use it in professional work or something like that .. I'm only using it for gaming so I need to benefit from gaming optimizations in Radeon drivers .. so I wanna change the name to its gaming equivalent which I think that it is the HD 5870 .. Is it possible by modifying some information in the bios by RBE tool ? Any Ideas ?

I know this isn't what you are asking for, but have you thought of just selling it and getting a MUCH newer and better GPU? Workstation cards tend to sell for a lot of money, even older ones.

I know this isn't what you are asking for, but have you thought of just selling it and getting a MUCH newer and better GPU? Workstation cards tend to sell for a lot of money, even older ones.

Agreed. Just looking on ebay, all of the v8800s that are listed are listed for $400. Even if you only got $200 you would get a significantly better card than the 5870.

+1

Agreed. Just looking on ebay, all of the v8800s that are listed are listed for $400. Even if you only got $200 you would get a significantly better card than the 5870.
+1

Yeah .. it's a possibility .. but until that .. Can this process be done ( I mean converting this card into its gaming counterpart ) ?

Maybe by flashing a different bios to it assuming they are otherwise 100% identical, but if I had a card with a few hundred I wouldn't be trying to flash it to something you can buy for less than 100.

Maybe by flashing a different bios to it assuming they are otherwise 100% identical, but if I had a card with a few hundred I wouldn't be trying to flash it to something you can buy for less than 100.

This is probably the only solution, as the driver needs to read what hardware you have - outside of flashing different firmware, I don't see how else this would be possible.

That said, that would be a very, very, VERY stupid thing to do given that you are looking at MAYBE getting the equivalent of a 5870 when you could sell the thing and get an r9 290.

I did something stupid before .. when I flashed my card to 5870 by ASUS unlocked bios ( 2048 mb edition to fit my card's amount of GDDR5 ) and after I restarted my machine it never show any on-screen data and the fan of the card was very loud like at 100% speed .. I remember that scary day when I thought that I bricked my card .. but I found a way to flash it back with my bios backup by installing another card in the other pci slot to just show me what I do .. and thank god .. I recovered my card back again .. So I asked here for a method to play with the original bios numbers by a modifying bios tool like RBE to change card's name so I can install gaming drivers .

But at the other hand I kinda frustrated and confused because I feel like I did horrible mistake by purchasing this card and this whole thing just for gaming .. Did I tell you that I'm installing the V8800 card in a T3500 stupid Dell with Xeon W3530 processor and 8 gb of 1066 MHZ RAM ?!

It's a workstation hardware .. Doesn't meant for GAMING at all !

Conclusion : I live in a small town in Egypt .. and I don't have enough time to travel to any major city to sell it and I know if I do , I'll not able to sell it with a reasonable price because of I don't live in the US my dude .. we don't have Amazon .. and we don't have 3d artists or maya crazy professional crew and all these stuff to benefit from this hardware and worth it .. so I have do deal with it by squeezing any drop of performance as I can out of it in gaming since my mobo doesn't support overclocking :D .. what kind of disasters I have !

Back