• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Selling the Old - Building the New - ATX to Micro ATX or Mini-ITX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noname2020x

I've been playing with the idea of doing a bit of a refresh. I'd like to start new with something and it would be nice to downsize a bit. I'm thinking after selling I'll be willing to throw out ~$200. Hmmm, but I forgot about buying windows again. Ugh. Budget TBD

Goals:

Stay up to date with hardware

Enjoy the feel, freedom, and speed of a new computer.

Downsize

Enjoy a new project

Questions:

Is it worth it?

How much would I have to rake out after selling what I have now?

Needs:

High frame rate 1080p gaming (Nothing like Crysis or Metro. More like, at the very most Battlefront)

Stability

Basic computing speed (SSD a must as is 16gb of ram)

totally silent when non-gaming

Wants:

High frame rate basic 1440p gaming (Nothing like Crysis or Metro. More like, at the very most Battlefront)

thoughts?

Last edited:
Is it worth it?

How much would I have to rake out after selling what I have now?
Worth it? That is up to you.

Depends on what you get for your current PC... are you keeping any parts like case/psu? Hard to help with such little information. :)

If you are looking for the latest and greatest...

6600K/6700K
Z170 based motherboard
2x8GB DDR4 2800 MHz CL14/15
Samsung 850 ~256GB
GTX 980 (to cover your wants - otherwise 970 is fine for 1080p)

Thanks guys!

Hmmm...

I gotta say, for whatever reason, I was thinking it would be cheaper.

I may have to wait a while longer to upgrade :/

Maybe I will go the slow-transformation method.

I'm quite tempted to get a new mobo, but then I couldn't use the 2700k.

Maybe the next step is a new SSD. I'd like to eliminate the HDD.

----

A very different method could be to snag another 770 and 8gb more ram, clean my computer up a bit and roll with that for a year or two.

I feel like my processor isn't anywhere near the bottleneck in this system. Am I wrong there?

Thoughts in total?

Last edited:
2700k is just fine really, for gaming anyway.

An SSD will greatly help your performance

SLI gtx 770 doesn't make too terrible sense if youre running the 2gb cards. The memory will choke the performance of the 770 in a lot of cases. The benefits of it are there in a lot of cases, but in any program where you would need the 770's in sli, the 2gb will certainly limit you (witcher 3, GTA V, etc)

That's kinda what I figured.

So selling a 770 and snagging a 970 or 390 is the way to go eh?

I probably won't end up using a plan, but out of curiosity, are there any good stores that offer payment plans for parts-- online or otherwise?

Last edited:
Not to tell you what to do, but going into debt for pc parts isn't the most glamorous of plans. To answer your question directly, you'd be better off getting a personal loan or using paypal's credit option.

Hahaha, yup. I'm with ya. It's more an issue of time of payment then payment itself. I have an odd pay schedule. Don't worry! :)

That's kinda what I figured.

So selling a 770 and snagging a 970 or 390 is the way to go eh?

That and add an SSD would be a worthy upgrade. You could probably get away with a 4GB 960 even, though I don't play Battlefront so I have no idea how demanding it is.

Back