• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

z170 owners, how long does it take for your mobo to POST? (power button > bios)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

z170 owners, how long does it take for your mobo to POST? (power button > bios)

List your z170 motherboard model along with the time it takes from when you push the power button till you see the BIOS or BIOS logo.

For me it takes 19 seconds on a asus Z170-A. I think something is wrong but I want to compare post time with others first.

Edit: Just updated to the latest bios, still 19 seconds, but when i turned off the "easy XMP" switch on the motherboard the POST time is now 8 seconds. Much faster but I think it's still slow comparatively to other motherboards, but again, I don't know until i hear back from you guys.

Last edited:
All depends on too many factors to compare without additional data.
On My MSI Z170I gaming it takes about 7-10 seconds to enter Win10. When I disable fast boot and other magical options then it takes some more time. That's on Kingston Savage 240GB SSD but on ASUS M8H with Crucial MX200 M.2 SSD it's about the same.
Personally I don't care if I wait 5 or 20 seconds as long as after boot all works without delays.

All depends on too many factors to compare without additional data.
On My MSI Z170I gaming it takes about 7-10 seconds to enter Win10. When I disable fast boot and other magical options then it takes some more time. That's on Kingston Savage 240GB SSD but on ASUS M8H with Crucial MX200 M.2 SSD it's about the same.
Personally I don't care if I wait 5 or 20 seconds as long as after boot all works without delays.

You mention it takes you 7-10 seconds to enter win10....

it takes me 8 seconds JUST to see the BIOS screen.... Something is definitely wrong.

How long does it take you from when you hit the power button to when you see your BIOS logo?

I always disable BIOS logo and my current monitor is so slow that 1st thing which I see is windows desktop :p

Enable UEFI boot, disable full memory check and all other options that are performing hardware tests. If you are using more devices like additional HDD then it will take more time to boot because board will check every additional device. I have only SSD in my PC , no optical drives etc.

Other thing is that some graphics cards are causing slower boot. I had that on last AMD cards ( 290X, 370X ). Right now I have only GTX960 and GTX980.

I'm around 7-10 as well...with nearly any board I've reviewed on that platform.

Do you have quick boot enabled?

But like Woomack said, it's tough to compare between different systems.

I'm around 7-10 as well...with nearly any board I've reviewed on that platform.

Do you have quick boot enabled?

But like Woomack said, it's tough to compare between different systems.

7-10 seconds to see the bios screen or 7-10 seconds to the windows logo?

Yes, quick boot is enabled.

I see the bios screen as soon as the monitor turns on... windows boot logo is probably 15-20s.

My previous MB was a GA-Z68A-D3-B3 and I assembled my computer in 2011. It has at that time a i7 2600k (OC to 4200MHz), 8G of 2133MHz RAM, a Radeon HD 6670 GPU video card and I began with two 500G WD Black HDD's (SATA 600) on a RAID 0 configuration on SATA ports 0 and 1 (SATA 600). It was taking about 2 minutes to boot (after POST) from "starting Windows (7)" till skype and hardware monitor shows up. In 2013 I've installed a Samsung 850 Pro 128G SSD on SATA 0 port and moved the two 500G WD Black HDD's (SATA 600) on a RAID 0 configuration to SATA ports 3 and 4 (SATA 300). I've also moved the User's folder to drive D.
That was a huge improvement. It was taking about 20 seconds to boot (after POST) from "starting Windows (7)" till skype and hardware monitor shows up. Lubuntu in other SSD partition was taking 9 seconds. Applications like MS Word were just fast as an eye blink. Afterwards I also installed a UEFI BIOS with GPT drives, but it didn't improve anything.
I've just bought a GA=Z170-HD3P MB, i5 6600K (OC to 4400MHz) CPU, 8G of 3000MHz RAM, IG video GPU, a SM951 M.2 128GB and the same two 500G WD Black HDD's (SATA 600) on a RAID 0 configuration on SATA ports 0 and 1 (SATA 600). First thing I did was BIOS update (from F2 to F5)
As the SM951 M.2 is about 4 times faster than the 850 Pro (I’ve tested with CrystalDiskMark5 and it is), I was expecting boot times around 5 to 7 seconds in the same Windows 7 and 2 to 3 seconds with Lubuntu.
Very frustrated as boot times are the same as the old system with the 850 Pro. Launching applications are even slower.
I’ve seen some posts that many people are complaining the same slow Z170 system.
Does someone have a good explanation why?:mad:

The POST time, from pushing the power on till "starting Windows (WIN7_HP)" is 16 seconds. It is the same with Gigabyte logo or without it.
I also tried Fast Boot and Super fast Boot. The time for loading Win7_HP doesn't change.

My new system, compared to the old one, has an almost equal CPU, has a faster memory, and a much faster SSD, so the main question is why it isn't faster on booting and is slower on launching programs like Word and Firefox?

Last edited:
List your z170 motherboard model along with the time it takes from when you push the power button till you see the BIOS or BIOS logo.

For me it takes 19 seconds on a asus Z170-A. I think something is wrong but I want to compare post time with others first.

Edit: Just updated to the latest bios, still 19 seconds, but when i turned off the "easy XMP" switch on the motherboard the POST time is now 8 seconds. Much faster but I think it's still slow comparatively to other motherboards, but again, I don't know until i hear back from you guys.

I have the ASUS z170-M plus
i have done the auto overclock wizard
at first the start up whent power on the system and then shuts down and on and it took also same time like your start up .

but there is a option in the bios to change your bios profile
when i change the profile the start up whent a lot faster

I have the same board. My POST time is about what yours is. It used to be faster, but then I got and plugged in a Creative board, and that appears to be what is slowing it down. Others on the Creative forums have seen similar, something about how the board initializes seems to delay the POST.

What boards do you have plugged into it?

ASRock Z170 Extreme 6 Boot time on Win 10 - 8.35 seconds without quick boot(give or take a second) Measured with a stopwatch app on my phone Error consideration. Booting from a Samsung 840 Pro. My video card doesn't support quick boot >.<

I've also disabled non-essential programs on boot in the MSConfig options. This can have a profound effect on your boot time.

Takes about 20-30 Seconds from pressing the button to entering windows8.1 with all programs open.
Mobo : MSI Z170A PC MATE

Last edited:
@Kenrou I have a very similar system to yours (same everything except also have samsung 950 (boot), 1.5TB hdd, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw 3000hz, and evga 1080 ftw). However, my mobo takes 11 seconds just to display the bios logo and another 10 to get to windows. Any advice on settings?

The only things I have connected to USB are my mouse, keyboard, and a wireless headset dongle.

Last edited:
I have a reasonably fast monitor, but on cold boots I can see the bios screen for about a second (but I also have it set to display for 4 seconds in the boot options area), then about 10 seconds from there and I'm into windows. Total is around 20-25 sec from cold boot. Upon a restart I don't see the bios screen and just have to mash delete and hope I get lucky as sometimes it won't actually get me into the bios.. Running older Z87 chipset.

I've disabled things I don't require like my wifi/blueooth, my front panel audio (i use a USB DAC), and fast boot enabled, etc.

I've always wondered about this... I have an Asus Z170-E and it takes what feels like eternity to get to the BIOS splash screen. On restarts it takes only 10 seconds, but initial boot can take anywhere between 15-30 seconds to display the splash then another 10 seconds to get into Windows.

It's pretty inconsistent when I am booting up from a full shutdown... I need to flash the BIOS, but my plan was to do that when I receive an M.2 drive I purchased last week... but that's a whole other debacle on it's own right now.

I feel like it should only take 10 seconds to go from pressing the power button to getting into Windows... but who am I to complain when my boot times are still less than a minute?

--update--

After updating my BIOS to the latest version my BIOS splash now appears within 5 seconds - disappears for a second or two and reappears for another 3 seconds before booting to Windows. Total boot time is now ~25 seconds or less.

Last edited:
Back