• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New monitor.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

retsgtcas

System specs on my signature.

I want a new monitor, my budget can go as high as $1.5K. I've never had a monitor larger than 24 inches nor anything that can go faster than 60Hz. I want to change that with this new build.

It will be used mainly for games like Witcher III, World of Battleships, Elite Dangerous, etc. I would like it to have G-sync since I already have a 980 installed in my rig.

After watching Linus video on the Acer Predator X34 Gaming Monitor,
, I thought I had found what I wanted, but would like some opinions before I buy.

Thank you for your help.

AOC U3477PQU - this is 3440 x 1440. It doesn't have G-sync but is about half of the Acer Predator. I've read reviews on the egg (not scientific I know) and see lots of complaints about dust behind the bezel. For $1,300ish - I'd be expecting perfection! With the extra $600 (ish) you could add another 980. Hopefully all of your listed games support SLI.

Do you absolutely have to have 21:9 WQHD? I was reading about using a 40 inch HD 4K Ultra or a 32 inch HD 4K Ultra HD as a "primary" computer monitor and as crazy as it sounds it does have some merit.

Last edited:
You're not getting useful performance at a 4k level with a single 980. I'd recommend a high end 1440p monitor, as those will be both more prudent and relatively reasonable to expect good performance from your 980.

Rog monitors are typically amazing but horribly over priced. You can usually find a direct competitor for half the cost.

If you don't run a GSYNC setup, I think you have no idea what useful performance is. The Rules Have Changed.

If you don't run a GSYNC setup, I think you have no idea what useful performance is. The Rules Have Changed.

He simply meant that you'd get the most out of a 2k setup over a 4k with your current hardware, and he is correct. G-Sync is nice, but if you can push 120+ fps, ULMB is much nicer than G-Sync if the monitor supports it.

(For reference, I just recently went 3x Acer XB270HU G-Sync panels on a single 980 Ti, I'm back down to just 2 with gaming on 1 alone due to ULMB)

Thank you all for the great advice.

With my current set up, running 4K is mostly out of the question.

I would prefer to have Gsync on the monitor, so when the hardware fails to push 60+pfs, it doesn't look like crap. Or at least that's how I understand the technology.

1440p...hmmm will have to look into something in that range before Black Friday.

Resurrecting this old thread.

I have an xtra 2K to spend and I'm thinking of getting another GTX 980 and getting the X34 Predator.

With my specs, would I be able to drive such a monitor? My main goal is to have something faster than 60Hz and bigger than 24".

Call me old fashion when it comes to cash.

$999 for a XR341CK bmijpphz (Freesync) Amazon
$1250 for the X34 bmiphz (G-sync) Amazon

From what I've read the QA problems (coil whine, screen issues) have been resolved. The max refresh rate is 95 for some not 100 (which really isn't an issue). Again $1250 of someone else's hard earned cash - I would be hoping for perfection.

980s in SLI would work. The VRAM stays limited to 4GB. I'd either wait for Pascal in June or go with a 980ti. I remember reading in one of the reviews that antialiasing was OFF during the review and the reviewer seemed to prefer that.

Call me old fashion when it comes to cash.

$999 for a XR341CK bmijpphz (Freesync) Amazon
$1250 for the X34 bmiphz (G-sync) Amazon

From what I've read the QA problems (coil whine, screen issues) have been resolved. The max refresh rate is 95 for some not 100 (which really isn't an issue). Again $1250 of someone else's hard earned cash - I would be hoping for perfection.

980s in SLI would work. The VRAM stays limited to 4GB. I'd either wait for Pascal in June or go with a 980ti. I remember reading in one of the reviews that antialiasing was OFF during the review and the reviewer seemed to prefer that.

Yes, it will be limited to 4GB. Then it'll page off to the system RAM, which means popping textures and possibly stuttering.

I would go with this monitor it will work fine with 4GB ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...CZJggaAjYT8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&A=details&Q=

I'd actually recommend looking at the Acer XB271HU over the PG279Q due to typical ASUS QC with their panels. They still have yet to fix QC for the 278, much less the 279. Acer learned and fixed their 270 in regards to QC and with the 271 he has a far better chance of getting a good panel. Keep in mind though, you are still playing panel lottery with either the ASUS or Acer.

Wow I definitely don't play the lottery only 1 out of a million will win.

As sad as it is, these particular panels, PG278, PG279, XB270, XB271, as well as even the new ultrawide X34 and ASUS equivalent, it's been a panel lottery for getting one with no dead pixels and/or minimal BLB. Bright side is, Amazon and BHPhotoVideo are both good about returning panels with bad backlight bleed, and also if you order directly from Acer's Texas warehouse, they are great about next day returns/turnaround as well.

I say this as an owner of current XB270 and XB271 as well as prior owner of the PG278 and PG279 :)

So in the end, I either wait for the next generation of cards or realize that 4GB of memory will not be enough.

I had hoped that the lottery feel to buying this expensive panels had been fixed by now. I don't want to pay 1K+ for something just to have it returned because of poor Q&A....

Thank you all for the great advice and guidance.

So in the end, I either wait for the next generation of cards or realize that 4GB of memory will not be enough.

I had hoped that the lottery feel to buying this expensive panels had been fixed by now. I don't want to pay 1K+ for something just to have it returned because of poor Q&A....

Thank you all for the great advice and guidance.

The 980Ti has 6GB... Upgrade and sell the 980.

The 980Ti has 6GB... Upgrade and sell the 980.

Rumors swirling that the 1070 and 1080 will both feature 8GB GDDR5. Coming out in one month's time, the 980 Ti is a poor purchase decision at this moment in time unless he got it for cheap used. After release there will supposedly be a 980Ti price drop and then of course all the people dumping their 980Ti cards for Pascal, so those would be an option and an optimal time to purchase one if Pascal is simply not to his liking.

Back