• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop run programs slowly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LearnMore

Hello Everyone! :)
Before, I'm sorry because my English skills not good, I'm Vietnamese student.
-I just bought a old laptop, windown 8.1 Single Language with Bing 64 bit, I tested by CPU-Z:
+CPU: Intel Pentium N3540, @2.16 GHz. Core speed ~2665.47 MHz, Multiplier x32.0, Bus speed ~ 83.33 MHz.
+Motherboard: Dell Inc. model 0CMF7W.
+BIOS: Dell Inc. version A00.
+DRAM: DDR3 4GB, DRAM Frequency: 666.7 MHz, FSB:DRAM=1:8. 1 slot.
-I'm learning design website by DreamWeaver CC Portable, code by Visual Studio 2010 and other programs. When I start this programs, my laptop is slow, even my mouse on laptop no move :eh?:. I don't have more IT skills. Can you help my laptop run faster? :confused: :)

That machine is not very powerful, hardware-wise. An SSD would probably help the most as I'm guessing you have a 5400rpm HDD now.

Running all those apps at once is also likely gobbling up your 4GB of ram. Visual Studio, I've used quite a bit, and even on higher end PCs, it can feel sluggish, especially at startup.

Maybe try this if your symptoms match?
http://blog.geocortex.com/2007/12/07/slow-visual-studio-performance-solved/

Sorry, but you might just have to deal with the slow performance as your laptop just isn't a powerhouse. :shrug:

A laptop just isn't up to running those programs well... you may be using over 4gb when doing work in them also.

Maybe. Check to see how much you are using. If it is close to 4gb or more, then yes, it will help.

With those programs, you're almost guaranteed to need more than 4GB of RAM. Honestly, I would see how much that system can take, and max it if possible. That, and add an SSD.

Back